Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Aquarijen, I'm really sorry about your cat. But don't give up hope! Furry friends can surprise you!

Six years ago, my dog was diagnosed with terminal kidney disease, and they gave him 18 months. Last year, he had a terrible Grand Mal seizure and stroke. They said it was likely a brain tumor and gave him six months. He's still here, he looks healthy and he seems to feel pretty good for an 11-year-old dog. So hang in there. Animals are tougher than we think.
Wow! That's inspiring.

I don't think you can order with your remote. I'm sorry, guys.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,352,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
re: the Vols-- I was not able to order from my remote; I had to call in and order the PPV, then they told me the channel number. I am-- HUGE SHOCK-- not ordering the game this time. First time ever! Of course, I may break down tomorrow and go somewhere and watch it, but right now I'm planning an exciting day of yard work.

Pam, the reason we're stuck with PPV is that the team is losing. Tennessee has always been a must-watch team, so the networks carried the games. Now the team is at the bottom of the rankings and the stations would rather play other games that will bring in higher ratings. UT gets paid for televised games; they have to pay for taping when it's not, and they recoup the costs via PPV. It's all about money. College football has gone from entertainment to business. Sad.

I hear that many of the students are boycotting the game tomorrow, and they expect a lot of empty seats. They started charging students for tickets and the students were already mad. If TN loses tomorrow, heads may roll.
Howdy GBH,
I know, I know re the Vols and televised games. For the entire twenty something years I was married to the first husband, his parents were season ticket holders for Army and had great seats. The first couple of times it was fun to go to West Point and see all the formality of the parades and the tailgating parties were serious white Linen and silver service events.... but geez, Army lost all the time that after awhile it became tedious to go sit there and freeze my tail off just to see them lose one more time. I'll stick by a team thru a lot, but sometimes I want instant gratification.(result of being young in the 80's! )
Pam

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM

811 posts, read 2,011,245 times
okay, I have read through the 4 pages it took me to get caught up, and all I can think about now are thin mints. fabulous.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,762 times
I hear you, Pam. My dad hasn't missed a Tennessee home game in 50 years! Not one! He's been going faithfully since he was a student, through thick and thin, rain and snow. He says if it's cold and rainy tomorrow, he isn't going. That's a testament to the level of disgust of loyal Vols fans-- not so much that the team is losing, but that the athletic department is unwilling to do anything to change it.

Go Vols! Go, go, go!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,352,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
okay, I have read through the 4 pages it took me to get caught up, and all I can think about now are thin mints. fabulous.
Mystic- Did you know that Keebler Grasshopper cookies are just like Girl scout thin mints? All is not lost!
GBH- I hear you GO VOLS!
Pam

Last edited by Pam& Bill; 10-17-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: another thought

Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow! That's inspiring.

I don't think you can order with your remote. I'm sorry, guys.
Hiknapster, thank you so much for checking on it for me!!! Since it can't be done on the remote, I just called and talked with the nicest guy!! He got it all keyed in and hubby and I are ready to watch the game now!! And I got the discounted price by ordering today instead of tomorrow.....hey $5 is $5!!!! Thanks again for finding out for me!! GO VOLS!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebette View Post
I just called and talked with the nicest guy!! GO VOLS!!!!
You have no idea how happy that makes me. Just no idea. But thank you for telling me.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
I thought I would help out the deprived folks who don't have Thin Mints in their freezer, here is a recipe for Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies!

GBH - that is an amazing story about your dad. He's been a true fan. Glad that your dog is better.

Hik - you are a great marketing rep for Comcast. Your boss should be proud of you!

What a dreary day outside. I made chicken spaghetti last night but tonight I wish I had put on a pot of chili this morning.

My mom called and she got a speeding ticket today in Mosheim. It is her first ticket ever. Mom has been driving for 50 years. So, I asked her about it and she said that she was going 20 over. I said 20 over what? She said 55. She said the speed limit is too low, it should be at least 70. So I say if it was 70 you still would have been speeding. She tells me that I am not helping. LOL. Her ticket was $190 and she is upset because she has been pulled over a few times in her life but was always able to sweet talk her way out of them. She said that this THP trooper was a smartypants and wasn't about to budge on the ticket. She is upset that she isn't able to sweet talk and bat her eyelashes anymore like she used to and get away with things. LOL. Then I tell her at 20 over she is lucky that she didn't kill someone or kill herself and/or get hauled off to jail. She got mad at me at that point and told me to quit siding with the cop. LOL.

We have tickets to both the Maryville game and the Knoxville Ice Bears tonight. I just want to curl up on the couch though. Tomorrow I am going to a friends garage sale out toward Karns. I can't wait; she has the best decorated house of anyone I know. Her throwaways are like treasures to me!

As far as who is a regular here. LOL. I hope and pray that everyone is regular! If you are irregular please keep it to yourself.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Fred is cooking chili. The fire's going. Come on over!

Funny but scary story about your mom. Love the conversation, though.

Now speaking of irregular...oh, never mind.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:13 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,684,087 times
SMG--Love the spunkiness of your mom! She doesn't give in too easily.

Hik--Can smell the chilli here! We actually were able to turn off the a/c and sleep with the windows open. It's almost chilli time here! In Florida!! Same for tonight.

J&Em--Hope the rain isn't interferring with the progress of the yard projects. I know it's been dry, so the rain is probably a welcome respite.

Happy Weekend to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville