Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 03:57 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times

Advertisements

It's a hockey night in Knoxville!

Weatherman says it is going to be 69 degrees on Tuesday!

Wrapping the Hiknapster Family in thoughts and prayers.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Have fun at the hockey game!

The hiknapster family is just fine! Thanks!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM

12 posts, read 58,703 times
Anyone know of a good place for playing Inline Hockey?

I used to play at Thunderplex until it closed.

I tried to play at Icearium - but they have not had any sessions.

Any other suggestions?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Have fun at the hockey game!

The hiknapster family is just fine! Thanks!

Hiknapster, what a day you've had. And what a save! Good for you for sticking up for yourself and your family! How can they even reduce your pay without warning? That's just not right and Fred is better off working for someone else who is, hopefully, a little more considerate of his employees.

I bet Fred will be back at his old rate in no time. Sounds like he's really good at his job!

I tried to give you a cookie for standing up to those ingrates, but I have to spread it around some more. So here I go, spread, spread, spread...

Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Oh! Apparently I have to spread the love around before bestowing more on you, also.

You know, I have always been quite outspoken on this board. However, in real life, I tend to cower when it really matters.

I think that it is because I have been fortunate to have been given one mediocre talent, and that is writing. I haven't written in years, and this forum has given me that opportunity. Maybe it has emboldened me to translate that into the spoken word.

Slowly, ever so slowly, I have learned to speak up, when it truly matters.

Why has it taken this long to realize that all that can truly happen is someone can say "no" or become upset with me? Will the world really end?

Finally, I have learned to state my case, be diplomatic, and leave the chips where they may. I could always draw my line in the sand, if I wrote it, but I just couldn't say it.

I bet you didn't know that about me, now did you?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
No, no, I understand all too well-- writers always find it easier to put things on paper than say them aloud. Our fingers are quicker than our tongues!

My brain is hotwired to my fingers, not my mouth.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,926 times
Sorry for the random new question here . . .
I'm on a cross-country trip from Wisconsin. I'm hoping to return with a collection of beer from my journey that I wouldn't be able to get back home, as a gift to some friends who really enjoy trying different kinds. I am stationed near Crossville for a few days and will soon be near Cleveland. Could anyone point me in the direction of a good place to buy local beers near either of these towns and/or suggest certain breweries or brews to check out?

Thank you!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
Wink Hik, you are a real grown-up now. Good things do happen when we add a little help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh! Apparently I have to spread the love around before bestowing more on you, also.

You know, I have always been quite outspoken on this board. However, in real life, I tend to cower when it really matters.

I think that it is because I have been fortunate to have been given one mediocre talent, and that is writing. I haven't written in years, and this forum has given me that opportunity. Maybe it has emboldened me to translate that into the spoken word.

Slowly, ever so slowly, I have learned to speak up, when it truly matters.

Why has it taken this long to realize that all that can truly happen is someone can say "no" or become upset with me? Will the world really end?

Finally, I have learned to state my case, be diplomatic, and leave the chips where they may. I could always draw my line in the sand, if I wrote it, but I just couldn't say it.

I bet you didn't know that about me, now did you?
I believe that it takes many years to develop a bit of wisdom and diplomacy in order to stick up for your principles, Hik.

You have always been forthright, and most have appreciated that, but it is so wonderful to see that you can now "say" what needs to be said and not just written.

I think that we are all very proud of you for having the courage and clear thinking to speak up to an injustice. If no one had protested the unfairness that Fred's employer dished out, he would feel justified for his actions.

I hope that you made him realize that real live people and families take a terrible hit to help him with his greedy profit margin.

I just knew that something good would happen soon for Fred and a new job would be there for him. But, look how fast it all came about! Good for Fred. Good for you.

You are such a wonderful asset to the forum and we want only good things to come to you and your family. You are an inspiration to all of those who might have taken the beating and never confronted the offender.

I heard someone say that we all grow older, but only a few of us grow up. You are one fine grown-up, Hik. Proud to know you!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks, gem. You've been a friend, even in the middle of the night when I have begun to panic, you've stayed right there with me.

I guess I had a bad feeling and it came to fruition. In the long run, though, this stuff is no big deal, though. It really isn't.

I've had so much worse happen.

Sometimes, at least with me, it's the little things that will take you down.

But at least, I've learned to take what I think, and normally put on paper, so to speak, and verbalize.

For a bit of humor, the owner suddenly had a cellphone situation, as we were speaking. Suddenly, the call was breaking up. Then the call dropped. I spend eight hours on the phone every workday, and understand the nuances of when that happens and when it doesn't.

He is a candy-pants, isn't he?

The important thing was he heard what I wanted him to hear. It was enough.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
Smile Ahhhhh, such sweet relief.

Thanks, hiknapster. I had the easy part.

Sometimes it takes a little adversity in our lives to see what we are made of deep inside. You should be liking what you see right now.

My dear Michigan friend used to remind me at my dire moments that "this too shall pass". You know, it always did. You handled this like a trooper and I would imagine that hubby feels the same way right about now. You should be proud of each other. Good team.

That is very funny that Mr. Employer suddenly had poor cell reception just when he was getting put in his place. You should have steered him to the "Can I Get Good Cell Phone Reception" thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville