Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Oh then it might be ok. I will be driving automatic, not a manual. I would be coming on one of the expressways (I forget which number)... I dont plan to be exploring the mountains, but just concerned about having to drive thru possibly winding uphill steep and downhill steep roads getting to and from Dollywood. I'd be happy to see the mountains form the bottom

Oh by the way, I did ask in my O.p. what driving in the mountains is like, because i thought Dollywood and the area nearby were in the Smoky Mountains. But I also wanted to know in case I encountered any mountains how they were, so Im trying to get a general feel of the road, since I never drove in any kind of steep roads.
You'll be fine. Over 2 million people visit Dollywood every year, and the good people who run the place have made sure it's easily accessible even in big old automatic sedans. The roads in and out of there are very good and not steep at all. Wmsn4Life is right, the Smoky Mountains are so popular precisely because they're within easy driving distance of much of the US. Pigeon Forge itself is tacky tourist trap central, pretty flat with lots of hotels, gaudy touristy things, outlet malls, and massive parking lots.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
You will be just fine with an automatic. Your comfort level might be challenged if you venture up into the roads above Gatlinburg, because some are very steep, and twisty. I drive an automatic and have no problems when I am inspecting the cabins that are way out in the sticks.

That said, all bets are off if there is snow or ice on the roads (in the mountains).

Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Oh great ! thank you! I think we will be coming there for sure now next year

it would be nice to make a few stops in some other places, a lady I know in North Carolina says Shiloh TN is good for historic places. Thats on the way too (from Chicago)

Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:

it would be nice to make a few stops in some other places, a lady I know in North Carolina says Shiloh TN is good for historic places. Thats on the way too (from Chicago)
Shiloh, Tenn is not on the way from Chicago to say, Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, TN. Not even close.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Pigeon Forge is in the foothills, nothing scary there.

You might find US 441 intimidating - if you do, turn around in one of the wider pull-offs and drive back down. If you decide to brave it - please pull over at the numerous pull offs and let people pass. That is me behind you in your rear view mirror giving you dirty looks.

If available, Cherokee runs a bus route on 441 over the mountain, That will give you the scenery without the fear factor.

If you have time and it's not snowy, hwy 165 outside Tellico plains is a scenic, well graded mountain road without much traffic.

Whatever you do - do NOT drive on US 129 aka the tail of the dragon. Just sayin.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:

Shiloh is not on the way to Pigeon Forge. It is hundreds of miles out of route. From Chicago you will take I-65 south to Indianapolis, I-74 to Cincinatti, I-75 south to Knoxville, I-40 east to Sevierville exit. Then you sit in traffic for a while to drive the last 10-15 miles to Pigeon Forge. The only mountain areas you will pass through are just north of Knoxville on I-75. The Cumberlands are NOT the Smokeys and no where near as high. Its an easy but scenic drive on that stretch of 75. If you WANT to see the mountains up close you can leave Gatlinburg for Cherokee NC and cross over the mountains, but a visit to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg does not require any serious mountain driving, but youll be close enough to enjoy the view of the mountains though.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 23,891 times
I am new here, and enjoy the forum very much My husband and I live in Minnesota, and have all of our nearly 50 years, so we use to driving on ice, black ice, snow.... well, you name it.

We have visited The national park in TN 4 times, have been through Dollywood, Sevierville, Cosby and all the local area, even up to Clingman's dome and out in Cades cove. There are a few sharp turns, and steep hills, but those are all off the beaten path.

From Sevierville, down to Pigeon Forge is all highway, each stop sign is numbered, although I cant remember how many there are, lol. My point? It is a nice drive, and unless you like to go off the beaten path ( like my husband and I do), you will be just fine. The biggest shock to us was the numbers on the stop lights, and this is how the locals will give you directions if you ask for them. The drive up to the top of Clingmans dome was not bad either, it is all paved, curvy roads, but not bad at all.

Hope you enjoy your stay there, that place is as close to heaven on earth as I have ever seen or felt. After our few visits I decided to go to college and get a degree in order to obtain employment in that area and move from Minnesota. I just recently graduated with an associates degree in business management with a specialization in the hospitality field, so I am looking at hotel/lodging management openings in that area. We hope to move within the next tear fingers crossed.

Be careful, the only thing you should fear is the falling in love with that area, wanting to fly back home asap, sell your home, and move to Tennessee God made that place, it's perfect!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 23,891 times
Well that went real well, typo on my very first post.............. tear= Year. LOL sorry.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 AM

345 posts, read 921,810 times
To the OP;

Like many have suggested, you will be just fine in an automatic transmission vehicle. With any vacation that you drive to and from a destination, just have your vehicle tuned up and the brakes in good working order. That should go with driving anywhere, not just the mountains.

We live in Sevier County and travel frequently to Gatlinburg. We own a Dodge Neon and Chrysler Town and Country. They are not four wheel drive. They are automatic. We have never had an issue getting anywhere. We've driven in the Glades, up very steep inclines. We made it in and out just fine!

I would say if you drive on Ski Mountain Road, use caution if it's wet. It's very steep and it's easy to lose your bearings on just how steep it is. Every time we've driven on it or even near the base of it, you can smell peoples brakes. That's not necessarily a bad thing; it happens.

Drive safely, and defensive, and you'll be just fine!

By the way, the people who live here tend to be used to tourists, so take your time...we won't honk our horns at ya...we just appreciate you visiting our fine state and want you to enjoy your stay!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Sounds nice! Oh, the trip to Shiloh was just one example, if i were to go visit any other city, I'd go sort of in a triangular pattern, one from Chicago, then over to Shiloh, and then over to Pigeon Forge, then back to Chicago. I'm sorry I have to study a map better, but that would be another idea for a vacation, as long as Im down there I'd luv to see as many places as possible.. (or maybe have to do it in 2 trips

I'm going to check out all the places you all mentioned and see

I appreciate all the help as Tennesse is a new place for me.

to that one person who said i would fall in love and not want to come back to chicago, oh believe me, i cant wait to leave chicago and retire somewhere -- near a nice lake .. in a woodsy area. I bet there are some nice places that way I've never been to.. Happened when I visited Michigan, you dont want to leave that place. If you all are just as nice as Michigan, I believe I would love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville