Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 PM

160 posts, read 303,357 times

Advertisements

Ran it in my F-250 when I was up there last week. Once each way. Cop was parked at the north end but that's all I saw. After doing that in a full sized truck sure would love to do it in a sports car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrael View Post
*cough*cough*

Someone knocked the dust off of another ancient thread.

If you're going 80mph on the Dragon (where the speed limit is 30mph), then remind me to wave as you go past. I'll remember to wave again as I drive past you later. You know, where the tree is, where you'll be splattered across the side of the road, trying to hold your spleen in with your airbag jacket. I suggest a roll of duct tape, by the way. It's great for emergency bandages.

Me? Way less than 55, and I drive a Jag. It LOVES corners, but I don't love tickets. There are private courses for that kind of thing. Pay to play.
Okay..there's a difference between fast driving and driving that's just plain stupid. I agree going 80 mph on the dragon is quite stupid in the corners but on the straight aways, you can safely hit 80 depending on the type of vehicle you have and the road condition. Things that will most likely end with you splattered across the side of the road are plain stupid, but there are occasions in which going 80 mph can be safe and fun.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:25 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx53 View Post
Okay..there's a difference between fast driving and driving that's just plain stupid. I agree going 80 mph on the dragon is quite stupid in the corners but on the straight aways, you can safely hit 80 depending on the type of vehicle you have and the road condition. Things that will most likely end with you splattered across the side of the road are plain stupid, but there are occasions in which going 80 mph can be safe and fun.
I look at the Dragon as Darwin's revenge on Tennessee.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
I look at the Dragon as Darwin's revenge on Tennessee.
I look at it as revenge on tough law enforcement

Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
nice ride do it during the week days u will love it rode me and my wife up,it down it both ways stay at speed limit u WILL LOVE IT ,DONT BE A IDOT,RIDE SAFE will never forget it getting ready to do it again in may,rode it on my 95 roadking,was going back next day on 2005 texaschopper w/280 rear tire but got rained out. now going to do it on my 2007 ultra classic looking foward to doing it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jason60; 03-28-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM

185 posts, read 184,720 times
Here's a solution that most people would never go for....
Use this stretch of road as a closed-circuit raceway for certain days (run it like the Nurburgring in Germany)

and the rest of the time, normal roadway rules/reg's all apply. Of course, public safety matters here. But, what harm is there if an individual wants to drive the Dragon as intended? I'm not for protecting people from themselves. You all do realize that you don't get out of life alive anyways.

I doubt anyone will agree with this at all. But, oh well, if you like to drive fast, move to Germany, I guess.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
Unhappy royaly screwed in a head on caused by bike terrorizing roadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I read all over the Net that "US 129 at the Tail of the Dragon is America's number one motorcycle and sports car road".

No, it isn't. US 129 is a PUBLIC ROAD that is the only reasonable route between Maryville TN and Graham County NC. People routinely drive SUVs, trucks and other vehicles on this winding mountain road. I just drove it, and I quickly got tired of motorcycles tailgating me; 30 MPH is a reasonable restriction for this road when you aren't driving a motorcycle or a sports car.

Most amusing is the "tree of shame" at Deal's Gap which shows the debris from innumerable motorcycle accidents, many of which resulted in injury and death, not to mention the huge cost to the community for the EMS services, and frequent blocking of the roadway to drag out the victims.

I applaud the Tennessee Highway Patrol for cracking down on the bikers in this area. I travel this road frequently and I'm sick and tired of motorcycles riding my ass because I'm not going fast enough to suit them. Want to drive your motorcycle to the limit, and endanger yourself and others? Fantastic! Do it on private property.
not knowing if the biker coming out of the corner at criminal speed was in control I had seconds or less to stay the course or get out of the way when all was said and done I crashed into another biker and Im at fault because the cop at the scene didnt confiscate the go-pro witch proves the speeder was terrorizing and criminally culpable I totaled my Duc and myself and the other vbike i hit went to the icu and im looking at tens of thousands of dollars of law suits. I love going fast but not on public roadways I was going 30 mph and trying to enjoy a casual ride on 129, now2 im f**ked .closed days for track runs would be ideal and recommended. I could use a good lawyer

Old 05-10-2015, 04:27 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Easiest way to "tame the dragon" is to do the following.

1) Close the road to 18 wheelers.
2) Assign troopers to cruise the road at the posted speed limit.

I understand the "thrill" people get from such an interesting road HOWEVER it isn't a playground. As some other posters have suggested this type of driving should be done on a private closed course.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...over-30-a.html

Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I didn't know they had already banned trucks. I watched a youtube video about that road and a segment focused on the 18 wheelers that tried using it. It didn't seem like a road for large vehicles. I wonder why it took them so long?

They still need to get the troopers out there to act as "pace cars". A lot of bikers will attempt to pass slower traffic (when they can) but few would try to pass a trooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville