Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times

Advertisements

Like Jab said, land and neighborhoods are laid out VERY different here than in FL. Very few "stuffy" deed restricted neighborhoods. You should come up and visit, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and feel you have more options than you thought.
Sorry, I am not personally familiar with where you are now so I can't do a comparison for you like I was hoping to.
Maybe if you told us what kind/type of stores you like to shop at? Or activities besides the 4 wheelers?
I am really thinking Limestone, North of Jonesborough, Chucky and so forth may really fit what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
Seconding Mouse, Limestone and Chuckey sound ideal. Basically, all the area between Greeneville and Johnson City.

"small town, picturesque place" - this is Jonesborough, TN.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM

20 posts, read 35,799 times
Thanks you guys rock! I appreciate all the info!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times
Default Moving to Greeneville

My family and I are moving to Greeneville and would like to know which areas of town to stay away from, as we will be renting

Old 07-11-2016, 03:52 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
I grew up in Greeneville and lived there for almost 20 years. Greeneville is very spread out and doesn't have many of the traditional in-town neighborhoods of other cities. The streets to the immediate west of downtown (Davis, Loretta, Maple, Highland) have generally been considered "seedy," but in reality it's just where the black folks traditionally lived.

Otherwise, I'd avoid super cheap rentals in rural areas - in places like Greeneville, it's the extremely rural areas that are of more concern than the in-town areas. You don't want to saddle yourself living in an area where folks have lived there for 200+ years and already know which families are bad news, and which ones are trustworthy. Trust me when I say that these are insular, closed-off communities where you'd want some insider information before living there.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,074 times
I would be interested to know somebody's thoughts about living in Greeneville as a whole. I am looking to get out of Florida and am evaluating my options. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:32 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratfarrar View Post
I would be interested to know somebody's thoughts about living in Greeneville as a whole. I am looking to get out of Florida and am evaluating my options. Thanks in advance.
Not sure everything you want to know, but I think the following is fairly accurate:

1. Job market is terrible in Greeneville. If you can get a job, it will be at or near minimum wage. Job market is especially more difficult for non-natives.

2. It has beautiful surrounding mountains that offer a lot to do if you are into hiking, camping, fly-fishing, mountain biking, etc. Beyond that, it is generally just another small town with not a lot to do.

3. Nice restaurants are basically non-existent. Tons of fast food. You will need to go to Johnson City (~30 minutes away), Knoxville, or Asheville (each about an hour away) if you want nice restaurants, nightlife, cultural activities.

4. Good selection of groceries and grocery stores, but slightly more expensive than other smaller towns IMO.

5. Housing is fairly cheap. I would caution against going into a lot of the rural areas such as South Greene as non-natives. They can be pretty guarded against welcoming outsiders.

6. Get involved in church if you want to make some friends along with any of the local clubs for hiking, biking, fishing, etc. Most have lived here forever and have their own friends already, and not looking to expand.

Greeneville is a good little town if you are okay with the simple life and creating your own fun.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:48 AM

18 posts, read 33,544 times
How busy is the railroad through Greeneville? Do trains go through at night?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
How busy is the railroad through Greeneville? Do trains go through at night?
That is the Norfolk-Southern main line coming down from Roanoke, Virginia to points southwest and beyond such as Knoxville via the junction at Bulls Gap (Archie Campbell's hometown). I would expect that on that division it would be mostly mixed freight, not so much coal, but you could expect trains frequently both day and night. It is the same route that passes through Abingdon, Virginia and when we go through Abingdon to Mountain City we frequently hear freights passing through town.

Mountain City was once served by two railroads Laurel Railway (owned by the Hasinger Lumber Company and sometimes called by the generic nickname "Peavine Railroad") and the Southern (on a branch out of Bristol). The Laurel quit running trains about 1919 and was dismantled by 1923. The Southern Branch (negative revenue for years) was abandoned and dismantled after a 1940 flood destroyed much of the branch near the Watauga River in the valley now under Watauga Lake and downstream of the dam. The TVA dam was constructed before 1950.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:27 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Default What about Greeneville?

When hubs and I visited the area two years ago, we really liked Greeneville and the surrounding area. It was close enough to Knoxville ('big city') and a bit of a gateway to upper east TN, unless it's actually considered upper east. There were nice open spaces outside the city limits, but for one reason on another we didn't spend all that much time exploring. We did spend a few days in Johnson City and wandered around that area. We live in rural VT but are close enough to many 'amenities,' such as grocery shopping, medical care, gym, restaurants, etc, but we (me!!!) really want to move away from the NE for a variety of reasons. We will be retired and would likely try to purchase a home. $250 max/firm if we could find something in that range and we did see some homes in that price range. We'd want very quiet, rural area, close to outdoor activities like fishing, hiking, kayaking/small boat.....with a couple acres of property.
Anyone actually in the area who can make a recommendation for where to explore further? Thank you in advance, and Happy First Friday in February!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol