Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times

Advertisements

Just my 2 cents, but it sounds like you will find more of what you are looking for closer to the Tri-Cities with all the medical facilities and ETSU and Qullin College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 AM

20 posts, read 35,799 times
Perhaps but is it not very expensive there? And not much to choose from as far as homes with acreage?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
Johnson City would not be much more expensive. Plenty of land available within a 30 minute drive. Many, many more and slightly better paying jobs. ETSU (JC) will be much LESS expensive than Tusculum - the only 4 year college in Greeneville. I'm not even sure Tusculum could provide the classes you need.

Limestone, Unicoi, Elizabethton, Fall Branch - all rural with plenty of land available and around 30 minutes to JC.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM

I agree, I was thinking of the area in between JC and Greeneville as well. The biggest question I think would be what do your kids need out of a school? Bigger with more extra curricular? Smaller with smaller class sizes? A particular club or interest? The only high schools I would personally send my kids to in Greene County would be Chucky Doak, Greeneville South or city. The land prices are going up in the South area, but Chucky Doak area is on the east side so easier commute to JC for work/medical school. West and North Greene is known for a few issues, one being teen pregnancy.
There are houses with land in the areas between Greeneville and JC, and also North, south and east of JC as well. This may help us out a bit. Where in FL are you coming from? This will give us an idea of what you are used to and want to get away from. I moved from Jupiter and I wanted what you do, get the kids in a better environment. It took me three moves and 4 schools to find just the right one for us. So I totally understand.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Greene County is really like two different counties put together. North & West Greene are very different socially and economically than South Greene & the Chuckey-Doak-Rheatown east side. North-west tend to resemble the Hancock/Hawkins county people while south-east is more like non-urban Washington County or Carter County.

Land prices are definitely on the rise in parts of South Greene but I think that (without any data) prices are equal or maybe higher in the Afton (east) area. Still, it's going to be cheaper than Washington and Sullivan counties, from both a land price perspective and a county tax perspective. If you can find a nice place in the Greene County part of Limestone, you'll be all set. For a few minutes more commute time into Johnson City, you could also look into Chuckey.

Keep in mind that there is very *little* planning going on in this part of the country - that's one reason our overall tax burden is lower. Zoning in non-incorporated areas is practically nonexistent. Just a reminder, as some people come to visit and are shocked at the hodge-podge of settlements.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Moving from the Orange Park/Flemming Island area. My kids go to Lakeside so I am trying to find something comparable to that. I want to find an area that has houses with land that are less than $200,000 but that do not look like HUD neighborhoods that we have here in FL.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
How much house - sq ft, bed, bath?
How much land?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Well I'm looking for 4-5 bed/2-3 bath with no less than 1 acre. Sq ft 1800-2500?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 PM

That is doable in Greeneville and in between Greeneville and JC, outskirts of either Washington or Sullivan county as well. Now, you won't find a band new house with granite counter tops and such for that, but a good solid house on an acre or so 4 bed 2 or 2 and half bath for 200k can be done and you should have several to choose from. If you would be willing to do the 3 bed room 2 bath with finished basement or den area or something similar, opens options up even more. Check out an MLS site, like Realtor,com and see what is out there and use the map function and coordinate that with Map quest to the Medical center in JC and that will give you an idea of commute for work/school.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 AM

I want more of an older farmhouse style that has some upgrades like ch&a but I'm good with everything else. Just do not want a deed restricted or stuffy neighborhood. Want room to breathe and land to play on with dogs & 4-wheelers!

I originally picked Geeeneville because I am looking for that small town, picturesque place and it sounded like Greeneville. Any other places I should look besides what you have already mentioned? I want the country living and I'm not that worried about socializing. I have my Mom and my 2 boys for that.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-27-2010 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol