Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
On a side note... is it just me or do German Americans ala Midwesterns not know how to cook? I can't believe some of the crap that G/A's cook for a main course at a get together.

In my family every large meal has mashed potatoes, corn bread, and well seasoned corn and green beans with a large meat course like roast ham or barb-e-q chicken
What kind of food have you had at a German-american get together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Now, for me, it is hard to get used to some of my husband's family meals...they cook their green beans until they're a mound of salty mush!
Green beans are not good any other way! they also have to have either bacon or ham in it for flavor, onion too.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times
Good comments on that Lexington Herald-Leader website. Seems the consensus is "southern", though I've had discussions with posters at another forum who insists Louisville isn't.

Back in the antebellum era, when Kentucky (& Ohio & Indiana) was considered "the west", I think one could make a case for an "Ohio Valley" cutlure region that straddled the river, almost like the "Rhineland" in Central Europe. There was a lot of mixing of southern (VA and NC) and middle atlantic (MD, PA, NJ) culture going on in this region in the early days, and a lot of cross river migration, too.

This was eventually overriden by sectionalism, slavery issue and the divergence of the KY ag economy compared to Ohio and Indiana, to more of a plantation economy in certain parts of the state. Railroads also reinoriented the north bank states more to the north and east.

So the river became more a boundary rather than a unifying element.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times
I think German-American foodways are maybe a bit different than German ones.

I dont think the Germans know about cornbread, esp since corn (what we call corn) is not part of their traditiional diet.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Thank you Jeffrey for the insight

Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
My experience is that German American food is more like European food whereas Southern food is a combination of European, African, and Native American, hence beans, corn, and potatoes being a common course.

The G/A food I've had is usually undercooked and doesn't have any spice, examples being pork chops in a yucky gravy and all sorts of really bizarre casaroules (sp?). It also seems like that try to keep all the fat on the meat instead of frying it off.

I used to work at a Kroger in Louisville and was amazed at all the really fatty meats people there buy compared to Lexington - I was afraid my aerteries would get clogged just from bagging that stuff!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM

The fatty meats tend to be cheaper than the not to fatty ones so that could be why. Irish food is the same way Census, very little spice and kinda bland (well, the traditional kind anyway, not what you get in restaurants)

Old 09-02-2008, 08:40 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
On a side note... is it just me or do German Americans ala Midwesterns not know how to cook? I can't believe some of the crap that G/A's cook for a main course at a get together.

In my family every large meal has mashed potatoes, corn bread, and well seasoned corn and green beans with a large meat course like roast ham or barb-e-q chicken
I find there to be a lot of similarities between German and Southern style cooking. Lot of fried meats, roasts, potato salads of various types, perfectly healthy vegatables turned into a deliciously unhealthy side, rich deserts... German food done right is wonderful, rich, comfort food.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
Missymom is right, you cook potatoes and green beans together with bacon grease or ham (with bacon grease), until you have a homogeneous congregation. I went back to WV a few weeks ago for my family reunion and ate it every day.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,267 times
Default Where the Real South Begins...

Somewhere along I-65 in Bullitt County is a sign, "Welcome to Bullitt County, Where the Real South begins". I think there is some truth to that and would be interested to hear the panel's decisions.

It is strange, however if you pay attention to the Weather Channel map - we seem to be no where at all. They show the Northeast, Midwest and the South, but we seem to fall no where particularly in any of the groups. It is as if we are an entity unto ourselves, somewhere between there and somewhere else, yet we thrive and grow and take in strangers, drink our sweet tea in some counties and eat barbecue in others.

The accent changes as you travel from the north around Covington to the west at Paducah, and even moreso when you reach the mountains.

Are we south? I say we just 'are', and am quite content to be just that. Cornbread, beans, sweet tea and all! BUT...I personally need my bi-yearly dose of the beach, and like the feel of shopping in the city - but give me dirt under my feet to dig in any day and I am happy. What does that make me? Raised here and not so confused, I suppose!

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky