Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM

666 posts, read 2,538,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I tell people I'm "Southern" because no one outside of the area knows WTF "Appalachian" is. But since we're being all technical here in this thread, I can be more detailed. So there you go.

BTW, you must have a crapload of free time on your hands.
We could compromise and call it Southern Appalachian lol. And I think most people have a pretty good idea what Appalachian is, even though most of it is probably just stereotypes, which may or may not be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,490,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
We could compromise and call it Southern Appalachian lol. And I think most people have a pretty good idea what Appalachian is, even though most of it is probably just stereotypes, which may or may not be true.
You know actually that probably is the most accurate description for Eastern & Southeastern KY if we really wanna get technical about it geography-wise.

I think people in other parts of the country have heard of Appalachian, but from my experience, no one knows what it is. I'm not really sure if schools outside the area put much emphasis on it (or any at all). Thats probably why you see on a lot of maps with KY as a whole lumped in there with the generic "Southern" classification as the first state in that divide.

Its not exactly accurate.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I tell people in other state's I'm "Southern" because no one outside of the area knows WTF "Appalachian" is. But since we're being all technical here in this thread, I can be more detailed. So there you go.

BTW, you must have a crapload of free time on your hands.
Nope, it took me all of five minutes. That doesn't even make sense and your post reminded me so much of somebody else... it seems like you were being fed this answer. Besides...why wouldn't you just say midwestern? You say that's what the rest of the state is. You aren't making sense. Plus what you said was ON THIS FORUM.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Nope, it took me all of five minutes. That doesn't even make sense and your post reminded me so much of somebody else... it seems like you were being fed this answer. Besides...why wouldn't you just say midwestern? You say that's what the rest of the state is. You aren't making sense. Plus what you said was ON THIS FORUM.
Yeah, I dont know whether he is influenced by anyone else or not, but I also wonder why he doesnt just call it Midwestern? I mean, what else would it be if its not Southern? And Southern Appalatian is pretty accurate, especially if we accept his classification of the state as Appalatian.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
What are you even talking about? What part doesnt make sense to you? Like I said, when Im away (which is always. I havent lived in KY for many years now & have lived all over the country) or speaking in general (like I was in that post you found), its easier to just say Im "Southern" rather than "Appalachian", cause no one knows WTF that even is. Even a lot of Kentuckians dont know what it is. And honestly, I dont feel like giving a geography lesson to them. And Appalachia does share more in common with the South than the Midwest. And thats why I dont say "Oh, me. Yeah, I'm a Midwesterner" cause people would think I was a blooming idiot. We're being all technical & anal in this thread, so if you really wanna get technical, no. We're not "Southern" here. Similarities are there, yes. But full on "Southern" we aint. Its a bit more involved than that.

And anyways, I said "Louisville & west of Louisville" for Midwest, not "the rest of the state" like you say. And I already said Im from the far southeast part of KY originally, hence why I dont say Im a "Midwesterner". You probably should have taken the time it took you to plow through hundreds of my old posts to read my initial post more thoroughly.

Making sense?? If not, oh well. I cant explain it any simpler for you. But please continue to argue about something as mundane as what to call yourselves though. Its entertaining if anything.

Last edited by KerryB; 11-17-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
South, no question. Of course, the northern portions have some mid-western influence, but not anywhere close to enough to consider the whole state mid-western.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:59 PM

3,460 posts, read 3,384,043 times
I'd say it's almost completely southern, excluding the 3 county area south of Cincinnati(often called 'northern Kentucky, NKY, etc.), much of the Louisville metro, and in other communities along the Ohio River to a lesser degree(i.e. Paducah, Owensboro, etc.).

Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstermcnuggets View Post
I'd say it's almost completely southern, excluding the 3 county area south of Cincinnati(often called 'northern Kentucky, NKY, etc.), much of the Louisville metro, and in other communities along the Ohio River to a lesser degree(i.e. Paducah, Owensboro, etc.).
Thats basically half of the entire state. Esp population-wise.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
KY is the South

Old 12-19-2009, 07:16 AM

93 posts, read 284,387 times
The answer is neither. Kentucky is CENTRAL EAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky