Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys, but even UK's law school claims Lexington as being a midsized Midwestern city (which it is). So let's just agree to disagree and move on shall we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Sorry guys, but even UK's law school claims Lexington as being a midsized Midwestern city (which it is). So let's just agree to disagree and move on shall we.
no its not, you dont know a thing about lexington.

once again, you ignore everything i wrote in those two posts. you know you are wrong. all your arguments (or lack of) have been shot to the ground. so yea, i think we can move on.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I looked at their website and I couldn't find a single word that said Lexington was a midwestern city. Bluegrass region was mentioned a lot, but not midwestern, but I guess we shouldn't listen to the actual UK College of Law website, lets just pay attention to the one urbancharlotte found. Plus why would myself, or anyone else on here care what the UK College of Law put in their website, which it didn't, it was in a website that mentioned the UK COL. UK never mentioned in their own site, and in their own words that Lexington is in the midwest, other people said that, people who are probably not from Lexington or Kentucky.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:55 PM

243 posts, read 477,963 times
I am from central illinois...my wife from western KY. Excluding parts of southern Illinois in which the border could be gone and nobody would know the difference.....KY and IL are very different cultures. To my in-laws, I have and always will be a yankee, and they will always be southerners (If you tell them they are from the midwest, I am pretty sure they will hurt you). There are so many minor differences between the small town central illinois folk and kentucky folk its hard to mention everything.....but everything from how people talk to what and how food is prepared is different in most ways. The one thing that is the same is small town family values.

I haven't been able to determine if this is 'good ole boy" southern or just small town.....but if two grown men get into a fight in central illinois, they are charged with battery. If two grown men break each others arms and legs where my wife is from......they say 'those silly men' followed by a 'bless their heart' and send them home.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM

181 posts, read 464,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
I am from central illinois...my wife from western KY. Excluding parts of southern Illinois in which the border could be gone and nobody would know the difference.....KY and IL are very different cultures. To my in-laws, I have and always will be a yankee, and they will always be southerners (If you tell them they are from the midwest, I am pretty sure they will hurt you). There are so many minor differences between the small town central illinois folk and kentucky folk its hard to mention everything.....but everything from how people talk to what and how food is prepared is different in most ways. The one thing that is the same is small town family values.

I haven't been able to determine if this is 'good ole boy" southern or just small town.....but if two grown men get into a fight in central illinois, they are charged with battery. If two grown men break each others arms and legs where my wife is from......they say 'those silly men' followed by a 'bless their heart' and send them home.

LOL...so true.... uhm...and please don't take this the wrong way but it takes alot of love for a southern gal to marry a northern man...so be blessed ( their's a guy I know in NY..sigh ... )

Old 11-14-2009, 07:50 PM

243 posts, read 477,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
LOL...so true.... uhm...and please don't take this the wrong way but it takes alot of love for a southern gal to marry a northern man...so be blessed ( their's a guy I know in NY..sigh ... )
My brother in law always told me...."There aren't any good girls in Illinois so you had to come to Kentucky for one."

5 years later he married a girl from Illinois

Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM

181 posts, read 464,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
My brother in law always told me...."There aren't any good girls in Illinois so you had to come to Kentucky for one."

5 years later he married a girl from Illinois

Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
In all honesty, its kinda all over the place.

Sorry folks, the eastern part of the state is considered "Appalachian" (pay attention in HS history class), so its kind of its own thing. Some people would argue its "Southern", but after growing up in that part of the state & traveling around to many MANY parts of the South, there's really not much "Southern" about this part of the state. Sure, there are some characteristics here & there, but full on "Southern" it aint. Not even close to it.

Louisville & to the west of that part of the state I'd say are definitely "Midwestern". They share some common things with the rest of the state, but they lean a lot more toward the "Midwestern" lifestyle & mindset than the other way around.

Lexington? Its a combination of both. They get influenced from the Appalachian side more than the Midwestern side though.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
In all honesty, its kinda all over the place.

Sorry folks, the eastern part of the state is considered "Appalachian" (pay attention in HS history class), so its kind of its own thing. Some people would argue its "Southern", but after growing up in that part of the state & traveling around to many MANY parts of the South, there's really not much "Southern" about this part of the state. Sure, there are some characteristics here & there, but full on "Southern" it aint. Not even close to it.

Louisville & to the west of that part of the state I'd say are definitely "Midwestern". They share some common things with the rest of the state, but they lean a lot more toward the "Midwestern" lifestyle & mindset than the other way around.

Lexington? Its a combination of both. They get influenced from the Appalachian side more than the Midwestern side though.
Hmmmm.... interesting:

KerryB
755 posts, read 517,138 times

Thats a BIG misconception about northerners, being unfriendly I mean. Im originally from the south & had it too before I came to DC & had my run of the north.

Here's the deal. Total everyday strangers up north you may run into on the trains, streets, stores, etc can indeed be the biggest jerks you ever saw. And, if your job deals in a lot of public stuff, you can see some really nasty people.

Now, with that being said, when you meet new people through a job (or whatever), they are VERY inviting for you to come join them (and their current friends) to hang out. And you find yourself making TONS of friends before you even know what happened. Just because there are so many things to do, so many places to go, people everywhere you look, so much open-mindedness, so much diversity, etc. Its really overwhelming. It can really consume you if you let it because its unrelenting. Its just the nature of big urban cities.

Anyways, im a southern boy at heart & to me, nothings better as far as the people. But, northerners are cool too.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
I tell people in other state's I'm "Southern" because no one outside of the area knows WTF "Appalachian" is. But since we're being all technical here in this thread, I can be more detailed. So there you go.

BTW, you must have a crapload of free time on your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky