Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 54,181 times

Advertisements

I've perused through a couple threads, but haven't found much specific information about how it is for a recent college grad in KC. There's a possibility that I will be working in the KC Metro area right after college for a training period of about 6-8 months. I will be just turning 23 and coming from central PA where I have lived most of my life. If I end up out in KC what should I expect? Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,316,101 times
What should you expect? I don't know, its really up to you what you make of it.

Kansas City is a large metro area of 2 million people, and has many of the same amenities as many metros of similar size. We have a multiple entertainment/bar districts (Power and Light, Westport, Country Club Plaza, Legends at Village West), a nationally renowned art museum (Nelson Atkins), one of the best indoor concert arenas in the country(Sprint Center), an NFL (Chiefs) and MLB (Royals) franchise and some of the lowest costs of living in the country. We have an underrated art community and a very underrated food scene. We have some critically acclaimed architecture and have done a decent job maintaining much of our historic buildings.

Maybe you could be more specific? What exactly are you wanting to know about? The nightlife? The women? Job prospects? Where to live? Good bars? Good restaurants? Getting around?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
It's a decent place to be a young person...lots to do, lots of it cheap and free. Our athletics aren't great, but attending games is fun and popular nonetheless. If you care about college sports, you'll find lots of like-minded peers. The arts scene is pretty impressive but also a tad underground, which has its good and bad points. Lots of churches, which could be a plus or minus. Great food (especially for meat-eaters), good shopping, decent theatre and live music. Lots of parks and green space, but not an incredibly walkable city.

Not sure how it plays out in the stats, but it seems that people marry young, here...the word on the street about the dating scene is that it's rough, but given that I've never lived anywhere, be it metro of nine million or village of 7,000, where people who are single didn't bemoan the dating scene. So take that as you will. I came here already coupled up, so I can't speak to the dating scene firsthand, but I do know that I work with a majority of people who are 23-35, and very, very few are single.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

OK it's now official, I accepted a job in Lenexa, KS and will be moving out there in June. I am already in a relationship so I'm not concerned about the dating scene, though having a viable music scene with bars and places to go out to at night is important to me. I appreciate the responses I've heard about all of that so far... plus the food sounds great!

At the moment I'm mostly concerned with finding a place to live. Right now the issue is whether I find a place closer to work in Lenexa or if it might be a better idea to live closer to the Plaza and just commute to work. I've browsed a few places in Westport, Roeland Park, and Mission Hills which seem to have a more attractive location for a young person but I really have no idea what any of those areas are really like. Does anyone have any insight on how the traffic might be from that area to Lenexa? Is it worth it? Also which areas around there are generally safe and close to things to do? Any information would be great!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:56 PM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaxy01 View Post
OK it's now official, I accepted a job in Lenexa, KS and will be moving out there in June. I am already in a relationship so I'm not concerned about the dating scene, though having a viable music scene with bars and places to go out to at night is important to me. I appreciate the responses I've heard about all of that so far... plus the food sounds great!

At the moment I'm mostly concerned with finding a place to live. Right now the issue is whether I find a place closer to work in Lenexa or if it might be a better idea to live closer to the Plaza and just commute to work. I've browsed a few places in Westport, Roeland Park, and Mission Hills which seem to have a more attractive location for a young person but I really have no idea what any of those areas are really like. Does anyone have any insight on how the traffic might be from that area to Lenexa? Is it worth it? Also which areas around there are generally safe and close to things to do? Any information would be great!
Sent you a direct message since I live in Lenexa.

Frankly, I'd move into Lenexa so you get the short commute and get a feel for the area and how it fits your own needs. Then, in a year you can look at another move. I'd point out that you can get to most of the fun stuff in 20minutes from Lenexa....I go out to Westport etc. on occasion with some of my young-un friends around your age. Pretty much the entire metro area is within a 40min drive including the airport and other stuff.

Things to check out:
1. Jack Stack - best BBQ pretty much anywhere...it's 10min away in Overland Park.
2. First Fridays - downtown KC first friday of every month
3. City market concerts
4. Korma Sutra, Indian food in south OP best in city.
5. In Lenexa, nice bike\jogging paths and those tie into some really long paths out around Shawnee Mission Park.
6. Lots of fun summer festivals....just ask around.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM

To give better perspective to my situation. Due to the job, I will only be in Lenexa for 6-9 months of training and then relocate to a more permanent position somewhere else. Also, for apartments I am looking for a 1BR/1BA between $500-$700 per month.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,613 times
Since you are into the music scene and bar scene and interesting dining I would suggest plaza or westport, or the 39th street area. You will easily connect with other people with similar interests. I can't imagine your commute would be longer than 20 min, maybe 30 min. Depending on where you are from you would probably find that do-able.

I just think if you are going to be in the city a short period of time that will allow you to really see what Kansas City has to offer.

IMO we have a great music scene, local artists get great support. We get some pretty good concerts. And you can pretty much always catch live music or good dj's.

Welcome to Kansas City and congrats on the job!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
I agree with famusdarlin.

Don't live in Lenexa. It has nothing to offer a 23 year old who is interested in music/bar/nightlife scene.

The commute won't be bad, especially since you would be reverse commuting.

I'd recommend you look anywhere from the River Market south to the Plaza

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
To answer the original question - I think KC is a good city for young people.

I've known a lot of young people (including myself) that get the "grass is greener" syndrome and move to young hipster meccas like Brooklyn, San Fran, or Portland, and most of them end up moving back to KC (including myself).

The cost of living in KC really is a huge benefit. There's plenty of things to do here, and unlike the aforementioned cities, you can actually afford to do them - and live in a comfortably sized apartment.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
To answer the original question - I think KC is a good city for young people.

I've known a lot of young people (including myself) that get the "grass is greener" syndrome and move to young hipster meccas like Brooklyn, San Fran, or Portland, and most of them end up moving back to KC (including myself).

The cost of living in KC really is a huge benefit. There's plenty of things to do here, and unlike the aforementioned cities, you can actually afford to do them - and live in a comfortably sized apartment.
The cost of living in KC is cheap for a reason. The salaries are very low for the most part unless you are a highly skilled engineer etc. The salary range in my career field in KC is substantially lower compared to other parts of the country, and the amount of openings were horrible. If you are part of the investor class COL is not as big of an issue as I highly value my financial planner.
I think cities like Denver, Minneapolis, and Chicago have a lot more to offer a young person in my opinion. I have lived in the Chicagoland area and am extremely familiar with Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City