Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,447 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm considering moving to Kansas City soon and I need help finding a nice neighborhood for my family. My husband and I are a young couple. We have two young children and a teenaged niece ages ranging from 4 to 15. We are looking for a neighborhood that is safe, affordable, diverse, family oriented, and progressive. Since we have school aged children we prefer an area with a good school district as well. We're are renters and our budget is in the $750-850 range. We are also considering Kansas City (Kansas) and ST. Louis so you may see the same post in those forums as well. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 03:36 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,507,343 times
KC metro has lots of great suburbs with good schools and everything you mention in neighborhoods. My two favorite school districts are Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley on the KS side, but that area (Johnson County) might be pushing the limits of your housing budget for a family of 5.

Where you will be working will probably also play a role. If you give more details, you will get more specific recommendations.

There are also several threads already here that started with the same basic question.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM

448 posts, read 1,460,001 times
I think there are several places that will fit your criteria, but given that you will need a large space to rent in a smaller budget I would suggest looking on the east side of the city, Raytown is the first place that comes to mind. It is one of the most diverse areas of the city. Schools are good, it is an inner ring suburb, so you will be close to ammenities of the city and close to ammenities of the eastern suburbs. You might also find something in your price range in Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and probably in the northern burbs in the NKC school district, but I'm not sure on rental prices there. As Samatha said Johnson co may also be an option, but since housing prices are higher there I would guess rent would be as well. Also, diversity is limited in some areas of JC, but i hear Olathe is quite diverse as a city overall, not sure about schools. I know friends who moved to Olathe for the diversity and ended up in very segregated schools, so check the statistics on each specific school if diversity is a priority.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:17 PM

158 posts, read 284,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
KC metro has lots of great suburbs with good schools and everything you mention in neighborhoods. My two favorite school districts are Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley on the KS side, but that area (Johnson County) might be pushing the limits of your housing budget for a family of 5.

Where you will be working will probably also play a role. If you give more details, you will get more specific recommendations.

There are also several threads already here that started with the same basic question.

I agree with Blue Valley school districts, they are the best and have so many great qualities and sport programs. They really look out for children who may need some one on one attention. You will hear nothing but good about these schools. They are in Overland Park KS. I would recommend this area for safety and schools although Sam is right about the price range you are looking, if you do some searching though you may be able to find something that fits well in your budget. Overland Park has a really great family feel to it.

I would rule out Kansas City KS. There is a lot of work to be done there and that end of town is well known for its high crime rate. NOT SAFE!

Good Luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City