Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM

272 posts, read 786,278 times

Advertisements

Coming into town for the Royals/Red Sox series in April. 4 guys in their late 20's. Should we stay near the stadium or stay downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
do not stay by the stadiums, nothing out there.

Stay on the plaza or downtown, I would say plaza, but be sure to hit up downtown as well.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,539,384 times
anywhere but the stadium area

Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,598 times
Definitely stay downtown. A cabride will be more than worth it. If you stay downtown there are lots of great bars and restaurants within walking distance. There is nothing by the stadiums.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
I say downtown as well. I admit I am not an expert on downtown hotels but that is the area you want to be in.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 PM

If you have never been to KC, I would probably stay in the plaza area. People in KC tend to take the area for granted, but it's still the most impressive urban area in KC and the area an out of towner would probably enjoy the most during a first time visit. The Plaza is close to Downtown via cabs and max buses, but it's just a better area because it's so established and so mixed use and more constantly busy.

Now if the plaza does not work out, Downtown is fine and so is Crown Center. You really can't go wrong in any of these areas. Just be sure and hit all the areas no matter where you stay.

Plaza, Downtown and Crown Center all have many hotels to choose from in just about all hotel flags from very large hotels to motels.

The area around the stadiums is ok, I don't think it's dangerous or anything, it's just sort of a run down residential / industrial area. There are a few good hotels near the stadiums and it's a good place to stay for families etc that are going to worlds of fun and what not, but you will have to drive out east to the more suburban areas to even find your typical suburban chain restaurants etc.

If you stay downtown, I would suggest the President Hilton Hotel. It will put you closest to the Power and Light District. Other downtown hotels include the Marriott, Hotel Phillips, Crowne Plaza and Holliday Inn.

Crown Center has a Westin and a Hyatt both are very large hotels and are more corporate / convention geared, but are great hotels that you can typically get on priceline for under $75 on weekends.

There are a couple of Marriotts on the plaza, Intercontinental, Raphael Hotel, Sheraton, Hampton Suites etc, , embassy suites (between plaza and westport) and many others

Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM

On Hotwire it has areas listed as:Country Club Plaza, Overland Park, and Lenexa.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
On Hotwire it has areas listed as:Country Club Plaza, Overland Park, and Lenexa.
Not sure why those are the only areas you see.

Lenexa and Overland Park are suburbs in Kansas, Country Club Plaza in in the midtown part of KCMO.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Are Lenexa and Overland Park worth staying in?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
Are Lenexa and Overland Park worth staying in?
They are fine areas, but they are suburbs and I thought the whole point of this thread was to find out where younger out of town visitors might stay.

Like I said, the Country Club Plaza or Downtown/Crown Center.

Overland Park is fine, but I would guess you are flying in and if that's the case and you want to stay in a suburban hotel, may as well stay by the airport rather than drive clear across to the other side of the metro and stay in Overland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City