Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,157 times

Advertisements

Hi all! First of all, I wanted to thank everyone who frequents this forum. I've already spent hours reading through countless threads about moving to KC, and I really feel like I'm getting to know the city (without actually being there).

My significant other and I will be moving to KC later this month. We're both around our mid-20s, and we are looking to rent in order to get to know the city better. We are both familiar with the Midwest (St. Louis and Cincinnati), and we will both be starting new, full-time jobs when we move to KC.

Location: Our jobs are in the 64116/64117 zipcodes (North KC). We are looking for a short commute to work, but we also plan on going out occasionally on the weekends (to areas like downtown, P&L, and the Plaza).

Price: One of us is looking for a studio in the $450-$650 range, and the other is looking for a one bedroom in the $500-$700 range.

Must haves: Safety, secure parking (garage, covered, gated, surveillance, etc)

Nice to have: in-complex gym or nearby gym would be nice, option for a 6 month lease (so we can learn the area and decide if it's definitely where we want to be)

It sounds like River Market, downtown, and North KC would appeal to us. Any other thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Even specific names of apartment complexes that you recommend would be great.

Thank you so much, and we hope to see you around the city soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM

19 posts, read 70,476 times
Having lived here for 32 yrs I'm extremely knowledgeable on the metro area. North KC is very safe and has a much lower crime rate from the other 3 areas of the city. You will not find any rental unit with a garage for $450-550 that I can think of. At least one thats respectable and in a decent neighborhood. River Market and Downtown are flooded with over the top expensive lofts and I've been in several, most of which are easily over a thousand dollars a month. You're just going to have to google apartment rentals for KC....there's a million different sources for finding a place to rent. Next advice: avoid the Power and Light district like the plague. It was hot for the first several months but I've come to hate it, as have many other self respecting people. It's just too much and way over rated. Plus the type of people that have begun going there now are exactly the ones that people like myself are trying to avoid. The Plaza is where it's always been. Much better clientele. The Plaza is now and always has been, the premiere district for shopping, restaurants and drinking establishments in the midwest. Don't even think about Westport nightlife unless you want to become a crime statistic. Hope this gives you a better idea.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
"Significant other" and yourself are looking for 2 seperate places? Why not combine your resources and get better quarters for your $$ by sharing? Safety in numbers too!

For the prices you've decribed you may have to look up in the 64118 - Gladstone area. You may find something near Maplewoods Community College. However, be prepared to scale back your "must have" criteria for that price range.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
"Significant other" and yourself are looking for 2 seperate places? Why not combine your resources and get better quarters for your $$ by sharing? Safety in numbers too!

For the prices you've decribed you may have to look up in the 64118 - Gladstone area. You may find something near Maplewoods Community College. However, be prepared to scale back your "must have" criteria for that price range.
Yeah...good point that I overlooked. Why not just live together in a really nice place with each of your maximum rents combined? That would put you in a category for some great rental units. Lots of townhomes/duplexes you could find with 2 car garages for a grand or more a month. And please don't say you have the Stone Ages morality code with living together before marriage. If thats the case, economically it would be wiser to share a townhome and live in separate rooms then to stress over splitting your living arrangements.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
I would suggest checking out the Ethans and the other apartment complexes that sit at 169 Hwy and Barry Rd in Kansas City North. They are about 15 minutes from downtown and very affordable. That area has about everything you need within a 5 minute drive.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM

886 posts, read 2,227,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm207 View Post
Having lived here for 32 yrs I'm extremely knowledgeable on the metro area. North KC is very safe and has a much lower crime rate from the other 3 areas of the city. You will not find any rental unit with a garage for $450-550 that I can think of. At least one thats respectable and in a decent neighborhood. River Market and Downtown are flooded with over the top expensive lofts and I've been in several, most of which are easily over a thousand dollars a month. You're just going to have to google apartment rentals for KC....there's a million different sources for finding a place to rent. Next advice: avoid the Power and Light district like the plague. It was hot for the first several months but I've come to hate it, as have many other self respecting people. It's just too much and way over rated. Plus the type of people that have begun going there now are exactly the ones that people like myself are trying to avoid. The Plaza is where it's always been. Much better clientele. The Plaza is now and always has been, the premiere district for shopping, restaurants and drinking establishments in the midwest. Don't even think about Westport nightlife unless you want to become a crime statistic. Hope this gives you a better idea.

Do yourself a favor and ignore this poster in regards to Westport and P&L.

While your at it, check out the Crossroads district downtown it is awesome.

Westport is fun, and yes there have been crime there but trust me with 5 cops on every corner, it's pretty damn safe... i've witnessed violence there, but its unlikely to be random... most cases the victim knows the person instigating things. Don't avoid Westport cuz its awesome....

P&L is also cool... expensive but cool. I don't go there tons cuz of the cost, but when i've been there i've enjoyed it.... people have fun, its laid back...

Never be afraid of the city.

You can find places in that price range, however you won't find covered parking post likely. You and your significant other could get significantly more options and space for less money if you lived together...

For the 500-700 range:

-Quality Hill apartments- around 10th and Broadway. They are nice, and if you want to pay extra you can probably park in their garage, but it doesn't come with the apartment, you have to pay extra. The price of a 1 Bedroom would be at the top of your range around $700. It's walking distance to tons of places downtown, including P&L, the Library, Bartle Hall, THeaters, quite a few little shops, etc... I lived there before and loved it.

450-650 range:

I don't know the specific places, but the River Market does have lofts for around $500, but they are true lofts... you get one room, with the kitchen in it, and a ladder to the actual loft area that has enough room for a Full bed. No covered parking.

Soho lofts (West, South, Etc..) There are several different locations. None will have covered parking unless you pay for it SOME may have it... they are all downtown and I would say very nice except South... Soho South lofts are reallllly nice BUT the walls are paper thin, I could hear people talking to someone in the next apartment so I always kept my TV or Music on so people didn't hear me. Others did too so of course all I could hear is other peopels music at all times. I would avoid Soho South for that reason, but if you don't care they are nice and around $600/month.

A really good place to check out is Craigslist... I can't link specifically because mods will just remove it... but if you search on KC craigslist and put the price max at $750 set it to downtown and put show pics.. you get a lot of very nice options in your price range.

In fact the more I looked, the better I found on there.. so DEFINITELY check KC Craigslist.

Now as far as North Kansas City goes...

I'd honestly consider renting a house in NKC... they have a great neighborhood with a lot of cute Bungalows and becuase of the economy several people have bought housing there and fixed places up to rent out.

The Gardens at Northgate - new apartments next to the Village at Northgate which is a new urbanism development.

I think there is one on Armour Rd also in NKC called North Kansas City Lofts... but i'm not sure if thats the right name or not... they are pretty nice too but no in-room Washer and dryer hookups (big deal to me but not some people)..

There is really tons of nice places north of the river....

Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Do yourself a favor and ignore this poster in regards to Westport and P&L.

While your at it, check out the Crossroads district downtown it is awesome.

Westport is fun, and yes there have been crime there but trust me with 5 cops on every corner, it's pretty damn safe... i've witnessed violence there, but its unlikely to be random... most cases the victim knows the person instigating things. Don't avoid Westport cuz its awesome....

P&L is also cool... expensive but cool. I don't go there tons cuz of the cost, but when i've been there i've enjoyed it.... people have fun, its laid back...

Never be afraid of the city.

You can find places in that price range, however you won't find covered parking post likely. You and your significant other could get significantly more options and space for less money if you lived together...

For the 500-700 range:

-Quality Hill apartments- around 10th and Broadway. They are nice, and if you want to pay extra you can probably park in their garage, but it doesn't come with the apartment, you have to pay extra. The price of a 1 Bedroom would be at the top of your range around $700. It's walking distance to tons of places downtown, including P&L, the Library, Bartle Hall, THeaters, quite a few little shops, etc... I lived there before and loved it.

450-650 range:

I don't know the specific places, but the River Market does have lofts for around $500, but they are true lofts... you get one room, with the kitchen in it, and a ladder to the actual loft area that has enough room for a Full bed. No covered parking.

Soho lofts (West, South, Etc..) There are several different locations. None will have covered parking unless you pay for it SOME may have it... they are all downtown and I would say very nice except South... Soho South lofts are reallllly nice BUT the walls are paper thin, I could hear people talking to someone in the next apartment so I always kept my TV or Music on so people didn't hear me. Others did too so of course all I could hear is other peopels music at all times. I would avoid Soho South for that reason, but if you don't care they are nice and around $600/month.

A really good place to check out is Craigslist... I can't link specifically because mods will just remove it... but if you search on KC craigslist and put the price max at $750 set it to downtown and put show pics.. you get a lot of very nice options in your price range.

In fact the more I looked, the better I found on there.. so DEFINITELY check KC Craigslist.

Now as far as North Kansas City goes...

I'd honestly consider renting a house in NKC... they have a great neighborhood with a lot of cute Bungalows and becuase of the economy several people have bought housing there and fixed places up to rent out.

The Gardens at Northgate - new apartments next to the Village at Northgate which is a new urbanism development.

I think there is one on Armour Rd also in NKC called North Kansas City Lofts... but i'm not sure if thats the right name or not... they are pretty nice too but no in-room Washer and dryer hookups (big deal to me but not some people)..

There is really tons of nice places north of the river....
Ignore me huh? You're obviously ignorant of the girl who was kidnapped in the parking garage of the PNL and gang raped and then dumped in a nearby park. You are a moron if you think that PNL & Westport are great places. People with class go to the Plaza. Westport is a giant ghetto and trash dumpster for homeless, beggers and criminals. I've lived here long enough to be extremely knowledgeable. I worked as an armed patrol security officer for 6 yrs in the area and have lived in the Plaza/Westport since 1991. I made more arrests and stops for incidents arising out of Westport than you could imagine. I challenge you to contact the Westport Security officers or the Center Zone Police and see what they have to say since you're so cocky on knowing it all. So before you show your stupidity in trying to put someone else down and convince another person that they're 'safe' to frequent places that are NOTORIOUS for crimes against persons, do your homework. Big whoopdydo that you personally haven't had an incident. I've got years of first hand experiences as do the Center Zone police officers with making arrest after arrest in these areas. Oh by the way smart a**, why don't you go ask the girl that was kidnapped and gang raped over the summer how good the '5 cops' on every corner did her at your almighty Power and Trashlight District?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
You are a moron if you think that PNL & Westport are great places. People with class go to the Plaza. Westport is a giant ghetto and trash dumpster for homeless, beggers and criminals.
Honestly, I experienced more crime (vandalism and significant theft, not violent crime) while living in the Plaza than anywhere else I've lived in the metro. People get assaulted and kidnapped and murdered EVERYwhere, from far flung communities like Excelsior Springs to Overland Park and everywhere in between. Night spots will have crime. If I were a criminal, I'd FOR SURE target anywhere where that's rife with easy targets with impaired judgment, i.e. drinking/partying districts. But the Plaza is far from crime-free, and far from free of homelessness and panhandling. Leaving Jardine's or Cafe Trio or The Levee on foot late at night via Mill Creek Park will introduce you to a variety of these elements. You might not get gang raped outside of ReVerse (and I also dispute that you're likely to get gang raped outside of McCoy's Public House or Raglan Road, either), but that doesn't mean that there's no crime or social issues in the Plaza as a neighborhood. I question how far you scratch the surface of the Plaza neighborhood in your generalizations. Westport has the market cornered on homeless people? Try taking a walk under the bridges along Brush Creek at night and check out the makeshift sleeping bags...yeah, mere blocks away from the high-end bedding at Scandia Down. Check out the people sleeping on benches and picnic tables in front of St. Luke's and along the more wooded end of Mill Creek Park.

Personally, I don't go out ever by choice in the P&L, and rarely and to very limited places on the Plaza. I enjoy Westport, but no longer live near enough to it to frequent any of those locales (Flea Market and Twin City Tavern were my hangouts of choice when they were local). But I don't see any real safety difference in the night life in any of those places. Just marked character and identity differences.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Honestly, I experienced more crime (vandalism and significant theft, not violent crime) while living in the Plaza than anywhere else I've lived in the metro. People get assaulted and kidnapped and murdered EVERYwhere, from far flung communities like Excelsior Springs to Overland Park and everywhere in between. Night spots will have crime. If I were a criminal, I'd FOR SURE target anywhere where that's rife with easy targets with impaired judgment, i.e. drinking/partying districts. But the Plaza is far from crime-free, and far from free of homelessness and panhandling. Leaving Jardine's or Cafe Trio or The Levee on foot late at night via Mill Creek Park will introduce you to a variety of these elements. You might not get gang raped outside of ReVerse (and I also dispute that you're likely to get gang raped outside of McCoy's Public House or Raglan Road, either), but that doesn't mean that there's no crime or social issues in the Plaza as a neighborhood. I question how far you scratch the surface of the Plaza neighborhood in your generalizations. Westport has the market cornered on homeless people? Try taking a walk under the bridges along Brush Creek at night and check out the makeshift sleeping bags...yeah, mere blocks away from the high-end bedding at Scandia Down. Check out the people sleeping on benches and picnic tables in front of St. Luke's and along the more wooded end of Mill Creek Park.

Personally, I don't go out ever by choice in the P&L, and rarely and to very limited places on the Plaza. I enjoy Westport, but no longer live near enough to it to frequent any of those locales (Flea Market and Twin City Tavern were my hangouts of choice when they were local). But I don't see any real safety difference in the night life in any of those places. Just marked character and identity differences.
Ok...I will concede that the Plaza is not free from panhandling....nowhere in this area is. However, the CLIENTELE of the Plaza is much more upscale than anywhere else. It has more expensive restaurants, high end clothing and finer retail stores than anywhere in the midwest. Why is it that people like yourself are on such a mission to deny the Plaza as the higher end of all things material? Could it be because you're not one of the crowd making 300k or more a year? I think so. Spending all of your time on a website critiqueing and commenting on every persons whim and query seems to be a high priority in your life as I've noticed by your numerous posts. Funny, wherever the most amount of wealth is, is where the beggars seem to go to. Any coincidence that they are in full begging mode surrounding the Plaza at all times of day as opposed to say 63rd and Troost? Wonder why that is?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM

886 posts, read 2,227,284 times
Quote:
Ignore me huh? You're obviously ignorant of the girl who was kidnapped in the parking garage of the PNL and gang raped and then dumped in a nearby park. You are a moron if you think that PNL & Westport are great places. People with class go to the Plaza. Westport is a giant ghetto and trash dumpster for homeless, beggers and criminals. I've lived here long enough to be extremely knowledgeable. I worked as an armed patrol security officer for 6 yrs in the area and have lived in the Plaza/Westport since 1991. I made more arrests and stops for incidents arising out of Westport than you could imagine. I challenge you to contact the Westport Security officers or the Center Zone Police and see what they have to say since you're so cocky on knowing it all. So before you show your stupidity in trying to put someone else down and convince another person that they're 'safe' to frequent places that are NOTORIOUS for crimes against persons, do your homework. Big whoopdydo that you personally haven't had an incident. I've got years of first hand experiences as do the Center Zone police officers with making arrest after arrest in these areas. Oh by the way smart a**, why don't you go ask the girl that was kidnapped and gang raped over the summer how good the '5 cops' on every corner did her at your almighty Power and Trashlight District?
Ok, please show me the data that shows HIGH instances of killings and rape in P&L and Westport....

People get kidnapped and raped in killed in burbs too... look at that Johnson County girl who made the news a few years ago...

Sorry, if anyone is ignorant it's you. I've worked and lived in these places and have no fear of them... its not like they are the Northeast by a long shot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City