Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 16,361 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am considering to go to U of Missouri at Kansas City for the Master's program in Computer Science. Anyone would like give me some comments about the university and/or its CS program? Is it easy to find a computer-related job after I graduated? I have no ideas cause I am from outside the US.

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,756 times
Default School of Computing and Engineering at the University of Missouri at Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by opti900 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am considering to go to U of Missouri at Kansas City for the Master's program in Computer Science. Anyone would like give me some comments about the university and/or its CS program? Is it easy to find a computer-related job after I graduated? I have no ideas cause I am from outside the US.

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated!
I don't know specific details about the program at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, but here is the web page for the School of Computing and Engineering:

https://sce.umkc.edu/

Did you make the decision to attend UMKC? If so, what did you think about program, and did it help you find a good computer-related job after graduation?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 AM

264 posts, read 250,867 times
I am currently attending UMKC but as a soon to be pharmacy student at their graduate school. I say that you couldn't really go wrong with CS at UMKC. My sister has a 60k/year fresh out of college job at Commerce Bank. She graduated from Missouri University of Science and Technology which I think has the better CS program but she reports that she has many co-workers who graduated from UMKC's CS program, some of them out of country. I think Missouri S&T (where my sister went) has a slightly better chance of you getting hired out of school (many companies recruit there) but it's in a doo hickey middle of nowhere rural town. If you don't want that I think UMKC is the next best bet since it has all the city amenities to go with it. Best of luck!

Old 05-26-2018, 05:51 AM

10 posts, read 38,502 times
Not sure if you're still looking, and not sure how helpful this will be, but just in case...I am a KU Law grad and these days I find myself hiring only from UMKC Law. The students there are more mature, more aware of the world around them, less caught up in school ratings nonsense, and just better in their practice. So I favor UMKC over KU in general for hiring.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I don't know specific details about the program at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, but here is the web page for the School of Computing and Engineering:

https://sce.umkc.edu/

Did you make the decision to attend UMKC? If so, what did you think about program, and did it help you find a good computer-related job after graduation?
The OP asked the question 11 years ago and only has 4 posts, so the chances of him replying to you are zero.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:21 PM

404 posts, read 457,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The OP asked the question 11 years ago and only has 4 posts, so the chances of him replying to you are zero.
So. The post could apply to anyone looking at going to law school there. It's a nice endorsement.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAlishous View Post
Not sure if you're still looking, and not sure how helpful this will be, but just in case...I am a KU Law grad and these days I find myself hiring only from UMKC Law. The students there are more mature, more aware of the world around them, less caught up in school ratings nonsense, and just better in their practice. So I favor UMKC over KU in general for hiring.
I would agree with that, the median age of the UMKC 1L is 25+. More than half the class has real world work experience vs straight out of undergraduate.

I always liked the neighborhood around UMKC and the proximity to The Plaza. I think he location, availability/cost of housing, and amenitites Since I haven't been there in quite awhile, maybe the locals could update with their thoughts.

Even if the OP is 11 years old!

Old 06-06-2018, 11:47 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
UMKC is awesome and underrated. I just wish it were a little larger and a much bigger part of KC's culture and pride. KC desperately needs to take UMKC to a higher and more respectable level (locally and nationally). KC is way to big of a city to not have a large urban university and UMKC is just not quite getting it done. People in KC spend too much effort caring about KU, Kstate and MU (all of which are good schools, but not in KC outside satellite campuses). Maybe getting it out from under the University of Missouri will help. I went there though. It's a great university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: