Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,161 times

Advertisements

Which side of Kansas City is safer to live on between the Kansas side or the Missouri side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,089 times
Oh boy, I hope this doesn't turn into a big debate.

KCK is much smaller than KCMO. Each side has bad areas. I would have to say the MO side is safer but farther away from the heart of downtown. The more north you go into both sides of the state the worse it is. I don't want to get into detail because I'm sure a lot of people will have something to say.

Please keep it cival folks .

Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Which side of Kansas City is safer to live on between the Kansas side or the Missouri side?
Doesn't matter. They both have dangerous and good areas. Depends on where you move.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,853 times
Both sides have good and bad areas.

In Missouri, the suburbs of Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are your typical safe suburb. Raytown and Independence are more blue collar but still very safe. North Kansas City is also safe and quite affluent in some places.

Kansas City itself is quite safe for the most part. The south is generally more suburban. Midtown/Plaza/Brookside/Waldo is all generally safe. Once you get too far east past Troost, that is where you are getting into the more crime-ridden areas.

As for Kansas, most areas are generally safe. All of Johnson County is virtually free of any violent crime, save for the occasional rare kidnapping or abduction which could happen anywhere. Wyandotte County is generally safe except for a few pockets of poor neighborhoods around Quindaro.

Kansas City I suppose gets a bad reputation for crime, but really it is just a few neighborhoods that are really violent - the rest of the metro is fairly safe.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
There are many nice suburban areas in both MO and KS.

I would say there is more in MO, but they are more spread out across the Northland, Eastern Jackson County and Northern Cass County, while in KS it's just Johnson County and tiny parts of Wyandotte County.

MO:
Northland (Gladstone, Liberty, Platte County, NKC, Shoal Creek etc) 300,000 residents
Eastern Jackson (Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Grain Valley, parts of Indy, Raytown etc) 300,000 residents
Northern Cass and Southern Jackson (parts of Grandview, Raymore, Belton, Martin City, Red Bridge etc) 150,000 residents

KS:
Johnson County (500,000 residents).
Wyandotte (a few subdivisions around the speedway)

Then you have a lot of middle class, modest, blue collar areas that are still ok areas, but in general less desirable to those that can afford something better.

MO:
much of the middle and southern parts of Indy, much of Raytown, Grandview and parts of SKC
Parts of the southern end of the Northland (Riverside, south of Gladstone, Vivion Corrirodor)
KS:,
parts of NE JoCo (north OP, Roeland Park, Mission etc) as well as older parts of Olathe.
Most of KCK

Then you have run down and even ghetto areas in both states.
MO:, northern and western Indy, much of eastern KCMO, much of southeast KCMO (Ruskin, Hickman Mills)
KS:, KCK east of 635

Then you have the nice urban parts of the city.
MO:
much of the urban core of KCMO from the River Market all the way to Brookside with dozens of various urban neighborhoods and 200-300,000 residents.

KS:, nothing urban, this is where MO wins hands down.

So, basically as far as suburbs go, it’s pretty even between the states. In Kansas it’s almost entirely in Johnson County. In Missouri, it’s all over the metro, (Platte, Clay, Jackson and Cass).

But if you want something urban, KCMO is really your only choice.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
Both sides have good and bad areas.

In Missouri, the suburbs of Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are your typical safe suburb. Raytown and Independence are more blue collar but still very safe. North Kansas City is also safe and quite affluent in some places.

Kansas City itself is quite safe for the most part. The south is generally more suburban. Midtown/Plaza/Brookside/Waldo is all generally safe. Once you get too far east past Troost, that is where you are getting into the more crime-ridden areas.

As for Kansas, most areas are generally safe. All of Johnson County is virtually free of any violent crime, save for the occasional rare kidnapping or abduction which could happen anywhere. Wyandotte County is generally safe except for a few pockets of poor neighborhoods around Quindaro.

Kansas City I suppose gets a bad reputation for crime, but really it is just a few neighborhoods that are really violent - the rest of the metro is fairly safe.
The only time I ever got robbed with a gun was on Troost Ave in KC MO. But I agree with you- it has lots of nicer areas too.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
I would say Kansas City Kansas Hands downs because it is such a small "town" with a very big violent crime ranking, I grew up in Quindaro and would feel very safe there today because I don't know any criminals or hang around any, so my chances are pretty good , having said that it wouldn't take very long before I either; witnessed ,or heard a shooting go down or happened by a place were a dead body was just found.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
HI. Just browsing around looking for pics of Ks. I'm a picture addict.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Kansas-City-Kansas.html

According to CD stats, the Ks. side has a lower crime rating, just like others stated.

You can find the stats for Mo. by clicking on that area on that very page.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Kansas City, MO is huge with dozens of zip codes and nearly half million people. You can really look at the entire city by a city wide crime stat. There are many very safe areas in KCMO and many not so safe.

KCK is much smaller and not near as urban or "big city" as KCMO, nor does not have as many nice areas (urban or suburban) as KCMO does, but it still has safe areas. For KCK to have anywhere near the crime stats that KCMO has since KCMO has a "big city ghetto" and KCK is really sort of a smaller town says something.

Metro KC is also more than KCMO and KCK. There is over a million people on the MO side in many cities and nearly a million on the KS side in many cities.

There is much more to comparing the KS side vs the MO side than comparing citywide stats of KCMO and KCK...

Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
The Kansas side was also divided up into little townships or Neighborhoods; Quindaro, Juniper, Heath wood, Parkwood, Bethany, welborn, Argentine, Silver city, Armourdale, Fairfax... I use to remember them all. They all had a little different feel about them. Crime varies in each of them, I remember we use be able to tell were some one lived by their Phone Number, F-A- 2-9887 was a Fairfax number
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City