Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 99,771 times

Advertisements

thanks, i've read several of your replies and they are always helpful. hope all kcmo/ks folks are as willing to help out newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 221,591 times
Default Most Missouri Schools Are Not Meeting Standards

http://www.semissourian.com/article/20081215/NEWS01/712159918

Some area school districts receive sanctions and awards
Monday, December 15, 2008
By Lindy Bavolek

Some school districts that received federal sanctions this year for not making enough progress are now receiving a state award for distinction in performance.

That's because the state looks at a broader range of data, including ACT scores, college placement rates and availability of advanced courses, while the federal government focuses mainly on test scores, holding all subgroups of students accountable

So some districts that received criticism when Missouri Assessment Program results were released in August are now celebrating their state distinction.

The state's education department doled out awards to 330 districts out of 523 this year.

"I think it's having a faculty and staff that understand that we're always trying to improve. We're not satisfied to just remain where we are," said assistant superintendent Dr. Rita Fisher.

The accolade comes four months after the district was placed in the first level of sanctions under No Child Left Behind. The district as a whole did not meet targets in math or reading for two consecutive years. While students on average met the standards, qualifying the district for the state award, subgroups of students did not. Those subgroups include students classified as special education, black or receiving free or reduced-price lunch.

Similar situations, where a district received the state award but moved into improvement status under the federal government, occurred in Oran, Kelly and Woodland.

Jim Morris, spokesman for the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, referred in an e-mail to No Child Left Behind mandates and Distinction in Performance indicators as "two different galaxies." No Child Left Behind is largely building focused, he said, while the state's accreditation mechanism recognizes districts.

Jackson superintendent Dr. Ron Anderson said he supports "the accountability standard," but thinks some of No Child Left Behind's requirements are unobtainable.

"With some of those [subgroup] populations, it's not realistic. With this, you have a better chance. The subgroups are more of a bonus category," Fisher said.

lbavolek@semissourian.com
388-3627

Does this affect you?
Have a comment?
Log on to semissourian.com

Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,867 times
I'm not sure the point of the above post.

Is it that the state is giving awards to subpar schools - so an "award winning" school district may still have underlying problems?

I have never had my kids in MO schools. But I know a lot of people who have their kids in the Liberty school district and Gladstone, also some in Lee's Summit. I've known some in the KCMO districts who moved out specifically to change schools. I also know teachers from the Liberty district. The Liberty schools don't seem a lot different than ours in JoCo - but these are suburban schools in upscale neighborhoods, so I wouldn't expect them to be much different. The more urban schools - with more varying demographics - are different as would be expected.

I was surprised to read "superintendent Dr. Ron Anderson said he supports "the accountability standard," but thinks some of No Child Left Behind's requirements are unobtainable." I would not want my kids in a school district that was unable to meet the basic requirements of NCLB no matter what the reason.

While I agree that NCLB has its many faults - all in all, it doesn't raise the bar all that high - so if a school was having trouble meeting its requirements - I would be concerned.

Our elementary school (in Shawnee - JoCo) has used a couple of different programs in response to NCLB. The one they have now is new this year and so far seems like a great program - it targets kids' specific needs if they have them, but also boosts kids who are meeting benchmarks, but need extra attention on certain subjects. Kids who are exceeding benchmarks can also continue to be challenged in the same program as well. Our school also uses the Saxon Math curriculum which I really like.

Comparing suburban schools between MO and KS is tough because you really have to look at what is being measured and how it's being measured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City