Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

Texas Speedway is in the Dallas Fort Worth area and that entire metro area is in Texas. There is not another state for hundreds of miles around.

A lot of teams and stadiums are named for the region they are in to try to represent an entire region.

The Colorado Rockies are not Denver because the Denver market is entirely in Colorado and the Rockies wanted the entire state to consider the Rockies as their team.

Arizona Cardinals. Same deal. It’s about what the region is.

Everything in Cincinnati is Cincinnati. There will never be the Ohio Reds because that wouldn’t make sense in a bistate area like that. Metro east St Louis residents would be a bit insulted if the Rams were the Missouri Rams and the Rams know this and would not do anything to insult 750,000 people in the IL metro area. Memphis teams are all “Memphis” while Nashville is in one state and so you get a more regional name like the Tennessee Titans. “Memphis” means TN,AR and even northern MS. Cincy means OH and KY, Colorado means the entire front range. It’s pretty simple really.

Then you get to KC.

KC is the KC region. When you say Kansas City, it means the Missouri and Kansas area. Why would you name the Kansas City Royals the Missouri Royals when KC is such a bistate city? You wouldn’t. Unless you are Kansas.

The reason the speedway is named that is because the state helped pay for it. That’s fine, but it’s a bit of an insult to the people of KCMO and Jackson County that have funded far more for much longer. The funny thing about this whole thing is that KCK has to put photos of KCMO on websites and brochures to describe itself to potential tourists.

Which brings up a couple of other examples. The Missouri tourism centers like the one near the sports stadiums has all kinds of info on Kansas attractions in the metro and they are easily found even though 99% of what KC offers is on the MO side.

The Kansas tourism centers had NOTHING on KCMO or MO. So when people drove into KC to see what there was to do in KC, the only thing they could get info on was Village West and the Great Mall. KCMO puts together a wonderful metro wide visitors guide that covers the KS side well but also shows the best of what the area has to offer. You had to ask for one at the KS tourism places. And people wonder why the one in Olathe had to shut down. When you enter any other metro area, regardless of what state you are in, you can find local tourist info as you approach that area. Here in KC, you couldn’t get info on KCMO 15 miles from the city because you were in KS. But again, the MO side didn’t return the insult. You can get info on KS. What a waste. If you didn’t know any better, you would think there was NOTHING to do in KC if you stopped at one of those places and might just drive on to the next destination when you might have stayed in a Kansas hotel and spent money in Kansas even if you went to the Nelson or Worlds of Fun.

Here is another example:

Go downtown and look at all the places where the KS flag flies next to the MO flag. Crown Center, Union Station, Liberty Memorial, Sprint Center, Federal Reserve, and many more. The KS flag flies at Kauffman Stadium right out in the outfield. Is there any place in KS where the MO flag proudly waves? Kansas Speedway? I don’t think so.

How about this:

KCMO begged JoCo back in the 80’s and 90’s to stop offering tax breaks to KCMO companies, it was killing the city. They said they would join a truce to not have this metro wide competition of cities fighting over local companies. JoCo said no thanks and just when KCMO started to use the same tax breaks to lure companies back to KCMO in the last decade JoCo cried and said it was unfair. JoCo called a public meeting to promote metro cooperation and stop the corporate handouts that only moved a company five miles. The VERY next week, Overland Park offered major incentives to lure Aventis from KCMO to a new building on College Blvd.

All while KCMO funds nearly all the tourism marketing that brings people to Kansas hotels. All while KCMO funds most of the KCADC which helps bring business to the metro area. I would guess that the KCADC has landed more jobs and corporations on the KS side than the MO side, even though it’s based in MO. Because KCMO understands that bringing in people from outside the area to the metro is good. Will there ever be any sort of organization that in JoCo that would “promote” the MO side as a place to live, work and play? I seriously doubt it.

And the KC Rep did change the name to better market itself to JoCo and please those in JoCo that already go. I thought it was a great idea, but you can bet if KU had a major theater, it would not be Kansas “City”. It would be Kansas.

In the grand scheme none of things matter individually, but all of them add up. Resentment builds etc.

It would have been nice to call it the Kansas City Speedway and if the KS side ever does get another regional attraction, it would be nice if they also were named something more representive of the area.

But I won’t hold my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Its not rare to see people drive from as far away as Lawrence to work in KC ,I know people who live in Paola and work in eastern KCK, I've known people who live in South East Kansas and work in KC --now thats a commute, You can spend the same amount of time on the road as some one from ,NY, Chi, or LA but in the midwest you get to average 45-55 miles an hour in stead of 15-20 in rush hour

Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC is the KC region. When you say Kansas City, it means the Missouri and Kansas area.
First of all, I disagree with this. When I hear "Kansas City" I think "Kansas City, MO". If you mean Kansas City Kansas or JoCo, you will have to specifically say so. KC to me means MO.

And I don't even feel insulted that you are using "our" state name.

If you are "insulted" that the Kansas Speedway is not called the Kansas City Speedway, then you really need to get a life. KCK and Wyandot county have been trying to carve out their own little marketing niche. They chose the name that would best serve this effort. Don't be insulted, just follow the money.

I see brochures for stuff on the MO side in KS info centers all the time. Worlds of Fun, sports info, etc. I have no idea where this is coming from. Maybe there were no brochures because they were the most popular and they had run out

And how can MO advertise anything for KS if "99% of what KC offers is on the MO side"? What exactly are they advertising??? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Quote:
KCMO puts together a wonderful metro wide visitors guide that covers the KS side well but also shows the best of what the area has to offer.
The "best" huh? And it's not geared toward getting tourists to spend their money in KCMO. Riiiiight. If KCMO isn't using it's ad dollars to promote it's own attractions, then that's just stupid. You can't really be trying to convince me that KCMO - out of the goodness of its collective heart - is creating tourist advertising for KS. Get real.

Quote:

Here is another example:

Go downtown and look at all the places where the KS flag flies next to the MO flag. Crown Center, Union Station, Liberty Memorial, Sprint Center, Federal Reserve, and many more. The KS flag flies at Kauffman Stadium right out in the outfield. Is there any place in KS where the MO flag proudly waves? Kansas Speedway? I don’t think so.
Again -- you are telling me that it's some kind of all-inclusive family feeling that makes Crown Center, Union Station, Sprint Center, etc fly the KS flag? Give me a break. It's part of their marketing because they want to appeal to the KS dollars and get them to be spent in KCMO. (and why wouldn't they?)

If Kansas shopping centers and other venues opt not to market themselves to MO residents, then they know better than I do where their ad dollars are best spent.

Why do you take all this as a personal insult??? Why do people choose to harbor resentment over this?

Quote:
It would have been nice to call it the Kansas City Speedway and if the KS side ever does get another regional attraction, it would be nice if they also were named something more representive of the area.

I expect the next KCK attraction to be named whatever its builders think will bring in the most dollars. And I won't be "insulted" one way or another.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
The MO side still has ¼ of their taxes going to fund regional needs while the KS side acts like they are a small town in the middle of nowhere with zero metropolitan financial responsibility. There is no place else in the country where so much of a city gets a free ride. We all pay ticket prices, but as MO residents, we pay thousands more per year to support the stadiums, museums, transit, health care for the poor, theaters, the zoo etc.
Missouri residents also are allowed first crack at tickets, before Kansas residents. Did you ever think of that? We pay taxes for Johnson County Community College. How many Missouri residents take classes there? We pay taxes for Shawnee Mission Park. I've seen plenty of Missouri residents there. I see the Prairie Village pool parking lot full of cars with Missouri plates in the summer. I've even seen people with Missouri plates dropping their kids off at Shawnee Mission schools. What's up with that? The JO comes over from Missouri and drops Missouri residents off at Oak Park Mall. Everywhere I go there are cars with Missouri plates all over Johnson County. I've often thought how much less crowded our streets would be if the Missouri people stayed in Missouri! Do you Missouri residents pay taxes to maintain our streets you drive on all the time? No. And our streets are well maintained, unlike Jackson County streets. What are Missouri residents doing over here if where they live is so wonderful? You'd think there are no restaurants or stores or movie theaters or doctors or hospitals in Missouri judging from the Missouri plates in Johnson County. Talk about free ride. I think they live in Missouri because it's cheaper, but they like it better over here so they spend time over here without having to pay Johnson County taxes.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
First of all, I disagree with this. When I hear "Kansas City" I think "Kansas City, MO". If you mean Kansas City Kansas or JoCo, you will have to specifically say so. KC to me means MO.

And I don't even feel insulted that you are using "our" state name.
We can go on and on with this...

I do not like how johnson county interacts within this metro and many others feel the same way. You don't seem to see any problem and again, I think many others feel the same way.

I do think of JoCo as part of KC and I think the above quote sums all this up quite well.

Kansas City = two states, nearly 75 cities and over 2 million people.

When this city figures that out and starts actling like one city, maybe this town will return to the progressive city it once was.

Till then, we will continue to fall to places like Charlotte, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Orlando etc just like we have been passed up by Denver, Atlanta Minneapolis etc.

So keep telling everybody to move to Johnson County. That is all KC has to offer, a giant suburb. That has really gotten us somewhere the past 30 years.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-30-2008 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Texas Speedway is in the Dallas Fort Worth area and that entire metro area is in Texas. There is not another state for hundreds of miles around.

A lot of teams and stadiums are named for the region they are in to try to represent an entire region.

The Colorado Rockies are not Denver because the Denver market is entirely in Colorado and the Rockies wanted the entire state to consider the Rockies as their team.

Arizona Cardinals. Same deal. It’s about what the region is.

Everything in Cincinnati is Cincinnati. There will never be the Ohio Reds because that wouldn’t make sense in a bistate area like that. Metro east St Louis residents would be a bit insulted if the Rams were the Missouri Rams and the Rams know this and would not do anything to insult 750,000 people in the IL metro area. Memphis teams are all “Memphis” while Nashville is in one state and so you get a more regional name like the Tennessee Titans. “Memphis” means TN,AR and even northern MS. Cincy means OH and KY, Colorado means the entire front range. It’s pretty simple really.

Then you get to KC.

KC is the KC region. When you say Kansas City, it means the Missouri and Kansas area. Why would you name the Kansas City Royals the Missouri Royals when KC is such a bistate city? You wouldn’t. Unless you are Kansas.

The reason the speedway is named that is because the state helped pay for it. That’s fine, but it’s a bit of an insult to the people of KCMO and Jackson County that have funded far more for much longer. The funny thing about this whole thing is that KCK has to put photos of KCMO on websites and brochures to describe itself to potential tourists.

Which brings up a couple of other examples. The Missouri tourism centers like the one near the sports stadiums has all kinds of info on Kansas attractions in the metro and they are easily found even though 99% of what KC offers is on the MO side.

The Kansas tourism centers had NOTHING on KCMO or MO. So when people drove into KC to see what there was to do in KC, the only thing they could get info on was Village West and the Great Mall. KCMO puts together a wonderful metro wide visitors guide that covers the KS side well but also shows the best of what the area has to offer. You had to ask for one at the KS tourism places. And people wonder why the one in Olathe had to shut down. When you enter any other metro area, regardless of what state you are in, you can find local tourist info as you approach that area. Here in KC, you couldn’t get info on KCMO 15 miles from the city because you were in KS. But again, the MO side didn’t return the insult. You can get info on KS. What a waste. If you didn’t know any better, you would think there was NOTHING to do in KC if you stopped at one of those places and might just drive on to the next destination when you might have stayed in a Kansas hotel and spent money in Kansas even if you went to the Nelson or Worlds of Fun.

Here is another example:

How about this:

KCMO begged JoCo back in the 80’s and 90’s to stop offering tax breaks to KCMO companies, it was killing the city. They said they would join a truce to not have this metro wide competition of cities fighting over local companies. JoCo said no thanks and just when KCMO started to use the same tax breaks to lure companies back to KCMO in the last decade JoCo cried and said it was unfair. JoCo called a public meeting to promote metro cooperation and stop the corporate handouts that only moved a company five miles. The VERY next week, Overland Park offered major incentives to lure Aventis from KCMO to a new building on College Blvd.

All while KCMO funds nearly all the tourism marketing that brings people to Kansas hotels. All while KCMO funds most of the KCADC which helps bring business to the metro area. I would guess that the KCADC has landed more jobs and corporations on the KS side than the MO side, even though it’s based in MO. Because KCMO understands that bringing in people from outside the area to the metro is good. Will there ever be any sort of organization that in JoCo that would “promote” the MO side as a place to live, work and play? I seriously doubt it.

And the KC Rep did change the name to better market itself to JoCo and please those in JoCo that already go. I thought it was a great idea, but you can bet if KU had a major theater, it would not be Kansas “City”. It would be Kansas.

In the grand scheme none of things matter individually, but all of them add up. Resentment builds etc.

You can't blame Johnson County for the Missouri Repertory Theater changing their name. No one forced them to do that.

And just because Kansas Speedway is near the actual city of Kansas City does not mean it automatically should be Kansas City Speedway. Seems to me the name was picked/approved by Nascar, because their advertising calls it "The track that will blow you away" - obviously a reference to KANSAS, not Kansas City. I don't follow your logic in thinking it should have been called Kansas City Speedway.

Everything you said, frankly, sounds like jealousy to me...

And like I said in my other post, Missouri residents spend a heck of a lot of time in Johnson County.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
So keep telling everybody to move to Johnson County. That is all KC has to offer, a giant suburb. That has really gotten us somewhere the past 30 years.
I guess I just don't understand exactly where it is that you want "us" to go.

"Kansas City" is what it is. And it ain't what it ain't. I have no complaints. I love where I live and I love the proximity to venues in the nearby city. I may not agree with everything that KCMO does but nobody asked me, I don't vote there. I can choose to spend time and money there, or not. You don't have to like JoCo, but any resentment over what "Kansas City" "could be" is misplaced when it's directed outside of KCMO itself.

You don't like "how johnson county interacts within this metro ". What the heck does that mean anyway? JoCo is primarily suburban. People who live here - shocking as it may sound - want to live in a suburb! Of course we don't "interact" with the metro as someone who lives in KCMO might do.

You gripe that we "take advantage" of the many venues that KCMO offers -- yet where would those places be if not for JoCo folk spending money in them? Again, it's no coincidence or touchy-feely notion of comeraderie that makes those places cater to us.

We come to MO, and we spend our money - and then we leave and let you enjoy your paradise. What more could you ask of us???

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Let's get this thread back to the OP's question please!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 PM

7 posts, read 21,272 times
Well thanks for all that info. I just hope the 40 people my husband works with (and gets along with) all move to the same area. Shreveport ,in Caddo Parish, and Bossier City, in Bossier Parish are seperated by the Red River. I guess being from here where it doesnt really matter which side you live on I didnt realise this would be such a touchy subject. Didnt intend on causing a JOCO-KCMO battle. I guess we will have to try and get up there a few times before April to check it out. Thanks again for everyones time and information. Maybe when we get up there it would be best to keep our Louisiana license plates.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Let's get this thread back to the OP's question please!
In a way, I think we are! The rivalry and trash-talking between the two states can be something to contend with. It's certainly something to be aware of when moving to the area!

gunsyd, don't worry - the battle has been raging for a century and a half!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City