Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times

Advertisements

Thanks to Okie for the update on the Ozarks! What do you have to say about Oklahoma. I just read this morning about a drug task force in Ok might have to disband due to a lack of funds. Well now Oki please tell us about drugs in Ok. Are the people there as mean as you say they are in Mo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Actually the FBI says this list misuses it's crime data anyway, so it's hardly without fault.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM

50 posts, read 170,329 times
As an oklahoman who was born and raised there, I can tell you that OK has less meth now than it did up until they passed a law that put all of the cough and cold drugs behind the counter. There may be more "mean" people here, but I'm pretty sure that it's just a misunderstanding since the people in OK are "friendly" but will curse you as soon as you turn your back. Tulsa and OKC also have relatively high per capita crime rates if I remember correctly, but isn't this the KC forum???

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,174 times
Let's talk about Johnson county... or Westport area, or near the Plaza... Depending on communte or where in KC.. Many people opt to live in neighboring towns and commute in... like Lawrence, or Leavenworth.
I haven't lived in KC for a few years, so I can't speak to climate at this time. My son and his wife still live in Overland Park.. near Antioch and 95th. She works in Olathe, he works in KC... There are great areas in that town... and as the posters have described some you don't want to visit. Check out the Chamber of Commerce and where the new jobs are going.. In Portland, we have a PortlandMaps where we can check crime locations and such. Perhaps KC area has a similar site?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 11,888 times
I agree Kansas City is very segragated like most cities in the south like texas and oklahoma. Overall Kansas City is a great place to live but finding the right suburb is a search you will have to do. This city is a bit of chicago mixed with Dallas. urban but with a large suburban feel to the north and south.
minorites are confined to the urban center and west of downtown.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 27,473 times
I've lived in Kansas City 10 years now. Most of that time spent up north around Zona Rosa area. I have spent a little time in most parts though.
From what I gather most crimes seem to be personal, like for instance a hostage situation a few years back.. A man held people in McDonalds hostage, but he was only there to get his ex-wife back. For the most part, don't have beef with people, you will be left alone. Well that's my take on the northland.
As for the city, where I live now in a loft, I would say just stick to the main areas, and don't go exploring too much unless you know what you're doing. (ie. northeast, sw blvd, or the areas off 71)
There seems to be a lot of random violence in club/bar scenes.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 35,106 times
Default Kck

We moved to KC,KS this summer after lots of searching and comparing. Our neighborhood is great, extremely cohesive, the houses are affordable and are not "cookie-cutters".

It's important to note that we spoke with our realtor ENDLESSLY about our concerns: crime and blight. Speak with your realtor about your concerns-they are often knowledgeable about the area and can provide more information than ANY of these threads (which are so subjective, it's hard to garner any real information). Furthermore, your realtor's reputation is always on the line since much of their business comes from word-of-mouth (and s/he knows this) and I am sure s/he is looking to make a sale as house sales continue to drop. All of these conditions tend to sharpen realtors' skills to serve the home buyer more effectively.

Good luck in your search. It's tough, I know.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 PM

96 posts, read 258,210 times
I was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. I live in Brookside, which is a wonderful part of town. I do agree that some people seem to be insecure about KC, constantly comparing us to Chicago, New York, etc. I've traveled quite a bit in the USA and accept the reality that we're a beautiful medium sized city with a relatively low cost of living. We have beautiful boulevards, museums, parks, the zoo, etc. Don't come here if you can't live without mountains or the ocean-you'll be miserable. Also don't listen to people in Lee's Summit, Lenexa, Blue Springs and other god forsaken suburbs define Kansas City. Kansas City is the Plaza, Brookside, Armour Hills-thats KC. And for everybody obsessed with crime statistics I'll say what every native Kansas Citian knows, if you don't want to be a victim of violent crime don't travel east of Troost. Of course thats not PC. I've never been a crime victim nor any of my friends or relatives. The local media, especially local TV, loves to show every drive-by shooting, carjacking, etc. east of Troost and act like its all of Kansas City. Ask yourself this if you lived in NYC would you wander around Harlem or if if LA would you take a stroll through South Central and chat with the local Bloods and Crips ? DUH
Of course not. Everytime I drive down Ward Parkway and look at the beautiful houses, trees, flowers, Meyer fountain I'm happy to be in KC.
P.S. We do have the best barbeque.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Hi all,
I need some help. I am moving with my family to Missouri due to my company offered me a good opportunity there in Sugar Creek (2 or 3 years). I have visited USA several times, but I have never lived there. My main concern is my family (wife and a 4 years old son), especially because we are from Colombia, South America (some discrimination?) although we are moving from Canada and we have the Canadian Citizenship. I want a safe place for my family and especially for my son who is going to start the school this year.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 12,532 times
Default Crime

Answering to the question about crime. I can only compare to Portland, Or. But in the year we lived in Overland Park, KS we noticed the KC news always talking about some major crime. In comparison to Portland, I would say KC has much more crime. Or it at least appeared that way via media. My husband and I would always comment during the evening news "ANOTHER murder, shooting, robbery, etc?"
hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City