Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM

14,209 posts, read 9,103,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Missouri is doing the right thing, and more states will be following. I believe this law will bring the right businesses and young professionals to our state.
The young professionals, by and large, don't agree with you.

But what do you mean by "right"? Conservative Judgementalists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:52 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Missouri used to be a moderate swing state. What the hell happened?
Gerrymandering. Missouri’s population is moderate, but it’s elected officials represent extreme minority opinions.

That said, I’m not sure how much state political climate affects city growth. There are quite a few sunbelt cities, Nashville, Atlanta, the Texas cities, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. that attract young people despite embarrassing state level politics.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Gerrymandering. Missouri’s population is moderate, but it’s elected officials represent extreme minority opinions.

That said, I’m not sure how much state political climate affects city growth. There are quite a few sunbelt cities, Nashville, Atlanta, the Texas cities, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. that attract young people despite embarrassing state level politics.
Colorado is trending the opposite direction politically and has grown about 10-11% faster in population compared to either Missouri or Kansas since 2010.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Interesting. I don't live on the Missouri side anymore, and don't follow the districting closely these days, but I could definitely see it.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:

For the consideration of everyone participating in this thread:

The Upshot: How the Urban-Rural Divide Became America's Political Fault Line | The New York Times

I often map my native and adopted states onto each other, because there are many demographic and socioeconomic parallels between them.

The reason Pennsylvania remains a swing state while Missouri is one no longer may be helpful in understanding why Missouri went the way it has.

Philadelphia's suburbs, like St. Louis', have been trending leftward since the 1970s. Kansas City's differ from Pittsburgh's in that they remain fairly affluent or at least middle-class yet remain strongly conservative. (Since many of KC's Missouri "suburbs" are part of the core city, this difference is reflected in the vote tallies by county: Jackson is blue while Clay, Platte and Cass are red. Allegheny County includes Pittsburgh's better-off suburbs and remains deep blue. The counties surrounding it have yet to find something to replace steel as an economic mainstay; they have entered the Land of the Forgotten and went deep red for Trump - but they remain blue-collar union strongholds receptive to the appeal of Democrats like them (coughJoe Bidencough) who speak their language.)

Pennsylvania also has a slew of small to mid-sized cities in red regions that are themselves more liberal than the counties in which they're located: Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. (The Lehigh Valley - Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton - is still bluish despite the loss of steel in Bethlehem too.) Missouri has only one of these, really: the college town of Columbia.

Thus, even with the rightward drift of Pennsylvania's Republicans - which in turn has contributed to the bluing of the Philly 'burbs - the state maintains a centrist political tradition which statewide Republicans ignore at their peril (like the previous Governor, the first to fail to win a second term since Pennsylvania governors were allowed to succeed themselves in 1970). There appears to be no similar centripetal force in Missouri.

Edited to add: Yet gerrymandering may also have something to do with it, though I think geography explains Missouri better for the reasons I just listed above. After all, Pennsylvania's Congressional delegation went from majority-Republican to majority-Democrat after the state Supreme Court ruled the existing district map an un(state)constitutional partisan gerrymander, threw out the districts, and drew a new map with many more geographically compact districts in time for the 2018 midterms.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 05-22-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 PM

639 posts, read 768,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The young professionals, by and large, don't agree with you.

But what do you mean by "right"? Conservative Judgementalists?
I mean just what I said, right thinking, smart folks.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I mean just what I said, right thinking, smart folks.
I'm pretty smart myself. At least that's what I've been told by any number of tests I've taken.

I have this feeling you wouldn't call my thinking "right."

My question remains on the table. The above isn't an answer.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 PM

639 posts, read 768,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm pretty smart myself. At least that's what I've been told by any number of tests I've taken.

I have this feeling you wouldn't call my thinking "right."

My question remains on the table. The above isn't an answer.
Right thinking, people who can think for themselves, critical thinkers, non sheeple following the herd. Smart, independent folks, nobodies fools.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Right thinking, people who can think for themselves, critical thinkers, non sheeple following the herd. Smart, independent folks, nobodies fools.
I'd say that I fit that description.

But based on what I've seen from you here, my politics and yours differ.

"Right thinking" shouldn't mean hewing to any party line. Yet doing just that is implied by the very term. I'm sure you have ideas about what constitutes "right" thinking. And I'll wager they don't include many of the ways in which I think.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,088 times
Quote:
I'm a free thinking person who thinks that Missouri politics are going the wrong direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City