Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:34 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,511,797 times

Advertisements

Cool. I just though I would make sure you looked at Waldo. It's pretty well served by buses for both KS and MO. But if you find something you like in northern Overland Park, or something, that's great too.

FYI, RideKC just started offering service to Lenexa Town Center along 95th. So that opens up a lot of western JoCo to transit access.

RideKC bus service extended to Lenexa City Center development | The Kansas City Star

Hey, I'll check out Waldo on Craigslist and Trulia and Zillow and see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up on the buses - that sounds like just the kind of information we're looking for. Excellent - that's what I like about city-data threads - the exchange of data about places we live in currently or would like to live in. Thanks again, kcmo.

Hey, this is off-topic, but what is this news about Brownback wanting to put an airport in Jo-Co? What? Really? Can you give me your opinion in Reader's Digest form for those of us who don't have time to pore through dozens of posts on this subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,921,767 times
duplicate post.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-14-2017 at 09:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,921,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey, I'll check out Waldo on Craigslist and Trulia and Zillow and see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up on the buses - that sounds like just the kind of information we're looking for. Excellent - that's what I like about city-data threads - the exchange of data about places we live in currently or would like to live in. Thanks again, kcmo.

Hey, this is off-topic, but what is this news about Brownback wanting to put an airport in Jo-Co? What? Really? Can you give me your opinion in Reader's Digest form for those of us who don't have time to pore through dozens of posts on this subject?
Waldo near 75th and Wornall (where JO buses, Metro and Max buses converge) and Mission near Johnson Drive (where most JoCo transit routes converge at a hub there) would both be good options for the price of the homes and transit options you need.

As far as KCI.

The airport needs a new "terminal".

Metro KC does not need a new "airport". Big BIG difference.

KCI simply needs a new terminal. A new terminal is around a billion dollars. Would be funded fully by airport revenue via ticket charges, parking, retail etc along with some federal money. No local city tax money would be used. Even with increased ticket fees, KCI would have one of the lowest ticket fees for a large airport in the country. Residents of KCMO have nothing to lose and everything to gain by building a new terminal at KCI.

The Brownback thing is a joke. Kansas is broke. A totally new airport in a new location (MO or KS side) is a total wast of money. But the idea that Kansas can afford to build a new multi billion dollar commercial airport is comical. There are really only two options. Try to make New Century in Gardner work, but would likely end up being something like Wichita's airport, still several billion dollars though. Or a new airport in a location along K-10 such as the vacant Sunflower Plant and you would be looking at a few billion more for that. No way is the FAA going to help pay to vacate a three runway airport like KCI. The FAA has recently spent about a billion dollars upgrading runways and taxiways there, a new fire station, a new air traffic control tower etc. And no way does Kansas come up with the money. The potential locations are a joke and further away from more people than KCI is with no supporting hotels, highway access or anything else.

It's just not going to happen. but people are so ignorant of why KCI needs a new terminal, they will buy into this and it will actually help get a new terminal at KCI. So while the Brownback thing is a joke, it's actually great for KCI. It's exactly what KCMO needed to get something going again with KCI. It's really sad that KC is forced to ask people for permission to maintain the self sustaining airport. In almost every other city in the country, professional aviation experts and the government deal with airport issues without asking the soccer moms, retired people and whoever else for permission.

A bit long, but that's about as short as I can make it.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-14-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 PM

As far as KCI.

The airport needs a new "terminal".

Metro KC does not need a new "airport". Big BIG difference.

KCI simply needs a new terminal. A new terminal is around a billion dollars. Would be funded fully by airport revenue via ticket charges, parking, retail etc along with some federal money. No local city tax money would be used. Even with increased ticket fees, KCI would have one of the lowest ticket fees for a large airport in the country. Residents of KCMO have nothing to lose and everything to gain by building a new terminal at KCI. Potentially many more flights, but mostly the continued success of KCI and the area around KCI which is booming with development right now.

The Brownback thing is a joke. Kansas is broke. A totally new airport in a new location anywhere, (MO or KS side) is a total wast of money. But the idea that Kansas can afford to build a new multi billion dollar commercial airport is comical.

It's a win-win for KCI! If the result is a new terminal than so be it. Hopefully it won't run for a year before they make a decision but, in the long run maybe it won't be so bad. As a KC newcomer who is starting to like what the city has to offer someone, I see the real need for a new terminal at KCI and this is a great deal for someone in Kansas City who can see the need to do this as a good business decision. For the city's future growth out ahead. Yes! I am all for it.

As to the locations - man, I will share this information with my wife. Those areas are just what we're looking for - we need ta be closer in to KC and mostly closer in to suburban KC business - mine being in Lenexa (Overland Park would be ideal) but we could really gain by being in Waldo, too, and Mission near Johnson Drive. We've been in that area lately and your information will be helpful in asking realtors and business people questions down the road apiece in our quest. Or just discover it with my new Motorola moto g Play smartphone I scored at the Blue Ridge Wal*Mart for only $79.00. 16GB of internal memory, 5" viewing area, front 5MP and 8MP rear-facing camera, beautiful graphics and a $45 Verizon no-contract card and I'm in like flint. Wow - what a bargain! Great phone for cheap - get yours at Wal*Mart while the sale is still on because that is a steal of a deal.

But it sounds like the two main areas you described would be perfect for us - plus Overland Park and what that city offers, the Mrs. and I will be able to find what we need in housing.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
I live in Mission, near Johnson Drive, and while I don't require public trans, being close to the transit hub would likely be convenient. Your price range is realistic for that area as well, having both recently sold and purchased homes in this corridor. Being able to do virtually all my shopping and business locally (and most, walkably, if I choose), without even having to travel into neighboring suburbs for the majority of things, is a plus for me, and the overall community atmosphere is nice. I appreciate an atmosphere that's more small town character, and we've got that, here (it's also my husband's hometown, where he's known people for more than four decades, which contributes to that)...moreso than even other neighborhoods I've lived in in KC, including Waldo. I liked Waldo enough, but it wasn't for me, long-term. My husband owned a house there for a while, also, before we knew one another, and had the same experience.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Also, since you enjoy the Plaza, another nice thing about Mission is that it's a ten minute drive to the Plaza, tops. When my husband and I started dating, I was living on the Plaza, he was living in Mission, and going back and forth between our respective places was a snap. It's even a nice bike ride, along certain routes.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM

I live in Mission, near Johnson Drive, and while I don't require public trans, being close to the transit hub would likely be convenient. Your price range is realistic for that area as well, having both recently sold and purchased homes in this corridor. Being able to do virtually all my shopping and business locally (and most, walkably, if I choose), without even having to travel into neighboring suburbs for the majority of things, is a plus for me, and the overall community atmosphere is nice. I appreciate an atmosphere that's more small town character, and we've got that, here (it's also my husband's hometown, where he's known people for more than four decades, which contributes to that)...moreso than even other neighborhoods I've lived in in KC, including Waldo. I liked Waldo enough, but it wasn't for me, long-term. My husband owned a house there for a while, also, before we knew one another, and had the same experience.

Thanks for the tips on Mission - I'll check them out. We do have plenty of time to explore. Mission sounds like it's checking all the boxes, plus it's close proximity to The Plaza makes it speak even louder to us.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 AM

We now have a real estate agent working with us - he sounds real thorough. He's been an agent for 15 years - we had a good conversation last night on the phone. We looked at a couple of Waldo homes yesterday on our own before calling this agent and we really liked the second one. It's a few blocks from downtown Waldo - I'd say about 8-10 blocks east of downtown. Troost Avenue was about passed on the way - maybe 4-5 blocks east of this house.

We're not quite ready to buy right now, anyway. The agent already has a plan for breaking our lease early. It won't be much early because the process takes so long. We like Overland Park a lot, too, and we're open to Shawnee Mission.

When you guys say Mission do you mean Shawnee Mission?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,465,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
When you guys say Mission do you mean Shawnee Mission?
No.

Mission is a small inner-ring suburban municipality at the northern edge of Johnson County.

Shawnee Mission is a postal designation referring to a large collection of suburban municipalities in Johnson County - generally those inside the I-435 loop. It is also the name of a large school district which generally encompasses that same area.

Parenthetically, Shawnee is also an independent municipality, just like Mission. So you have Shawnee, you have Mission, and you have Shawnee Mission. But none of these three terms are interchangeable.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 AM

No.

Mission is a small inner-ring suburban municipality at the northern edge of Johnson County.

Shawnee Mission is a postal designation referring to a large collection of suburban municipalities in Johnson County - generally those inside the I-435 loop. It is also the name of a large school district which generally encompasses that same area.

Parenthetically, Shawnee is also an independent municipality, just like Mission. So you have Shawnee, you have Mission, and you have Shawnee Mission. But none of these three terms are interchangeable.

Aww, thank you, rwiksell! I appreciate that explanation of those. I prefer Waldo, so far, and Overland Park. Though I think Waldo works better for us because of it's proximity to downtown and the Country Club Plaza. The good planning out of The Plaza has had a lasting effect on the place and whenever I'm there I'm like "wowza." No kidding. I love it!

The latest house is in a quiet neighborhood of Waldo and the house has it's somewhat dated but still attractive wood floors and tasteful fresh interior paint, in neutral colors. There are tile floors mixed in here and there and, of course, carpet. The seller will install a new roof and A/C prior to closing.

I have a feeling about this place that we should move on it - it's too good to pass up. Moving is a pain but, like my Dad always said: "Where will you be if you don't do anything?" Besides, I have learned to pay young men to help us move. It goes much, easier!

This house has an attached garage, which I prefer over detached garages for convenience sake. The siding is a beige-colored vinyl siding that I would pressure wash clean. This agent is sending us apps for our mobile phones that we can use to hone in on house information in real time while we're out looking. Pretty cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City