Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Where did I contradict myself? Your entire post pretty much says the exact same I did, I even referenced the lack of economic diversity at BV.
yea, sorry, I guess I misread your post. Seems like we are on the same page.

Another map to use as a starting point for research:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 06:04 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
yea, sorry, I guess I misread your post. Seems like we are on the same page.

Another map to use as a starting point for research:
Wow, Excelsior Springs? Much below average? I had no idea.

I also thought Grandview would be a tad better than that.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I think that the key point is WHAT kind of student your kid is.

If you have a good student, or an average student, or struggling or a rock star it can mean various things at different schools.

The OP seems to have a "rock star" so IMO you need to not look at averages but rather what programs those schools offer and other factors.

For a *rock star* I would recommend any school that at least has an IB program plus I would look at the number of national merit finalists they put out each year. That's one of the "golden ticket" (aka full ride or acceptance into very elite schools) designations out there.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Wow, Excelsior Springs? Much below average? I had no idea.

I also thought Grandview would be a tad better than that.
Excelsior Springs is more rural than suburban. Rural districts often have nearly as bad of test scores (as well as poverty and other social problems) as urban districts only they tend to offer a lot less such as special programs and ap courses.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 PM

25 posts, read 36,982 times
Thank you everyone. The maps are helpful as well as what factors/programs to look for. Do any of the Blue Valley high schools offer IB programs? I see that Shawnee Mission East does, but that it was considered being cut due to reductions in school funding. Lee's Summit also seems to have IB.

The possibility of Kansas budget cuts to education is concerning. What impacts of reduced public funding are you seeing now in the schools: cuts to academic programs, larger class sizes, cuts to arts and music, facilities, supplies, quality of education, etc? What if the funding is reduced even more? Is this also an issue in Missouri?

Old 01-29-2017, 02:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I live in the Shawnee Mission East area and my kids went to Shawnee Mission East. If I were choosing NOW, although SM East is still fine, I would choose Blue Valley. NOT because funding/lack of funding, but because of Blue Valley's ranking. Shawnee Mission used to be the highest ranked district in the area, but now Blue Valley is. I prefer the Kansas side, so would choose either of those over Park Hill or North Kansas City.

Three schools in the Shawnee Mission School District have IB programs; I don't think any in Blue Valley do. NKC does and so do three Lee's Summit schools.

I don't have first hand experience with Blue Valley schools, but if you did happen to choose Shawnee Mission East, I would go with Briarwood or Corinth elementary schools, which feed into Indian Hills Middle School. Corinth is just a few years old and Briarwood is brand new. Both in areas with nice homes.

The atmosphere is indeed different in different areas of the metro. And that atmosphere is why I much prefer the Kansas side.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-29-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
. I mean, Shawnee Mission East schools used to sell lobster is a fundraiser it might still do so for all I know.
They still do sell lobster.

And although I didn't quote the rest of your post, you are spot on, and I agree there is no reason to worry about funding for Johnson County schools. They have always been and will continue to be fine. My kids went to Shawnee Mission East with many affluent families who could well afford to sent their kids to private school BUT DIDN'T NEED TO because the education at SME was just fine. And there are students at Shawnee Mission East and in Blue Valley schools who get perfect scores on their college entrance tests every year.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 PM

Kansas Is Becoming A Hard Place To Teach, So Teachers Are Crossing The State Line | KCUR

This is from 2015 so things could be better or worse today.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kansas Is Becoming A Hard Place To Teach, So Teachers Are Crossing The State Line | KCUR

This is from 2015 so things could be better or worse today.
I agree but considering the 80% assault rate against teachers in the KCMO school district it's still going to be a hard sell to get people to come teach there.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I agree but considering the 80% assault rate against teachers in the KCMO school district it's still going to be a hard sell to get people to come teach there.
KCK district sucks too, does that make Blue Valley suck? Didn't think so. There are actually more good districts on the MO side than the KS side and they are not under constant threat of having their funding taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City