Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 3,973 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a 35 year old childless lesbian looking for a church with other people near my age. I'm fairly new to the area, and the churches I've visited are filled with seniors and families. I like both, but then all of the groups are targeted towards them, and there really isn't anyplace I fit in. People seem really suprised that I would attend church alone, and I've even encountered mild pity for not being married with kids at several churches.

I'm looking for a church where there are other Millennials, many of whom are childless. I would like to participate in groups (like Bible study, discussions) and serve the community, rather than just going on Sundays only. Obiviously I want a church that is inclusive of all people. I've attended churches in other cities that were UCC or DOC, and my beliefs and values fit with them. Finding ones here that aren't focused on families or seniors has been harder than I thought. I was hoping to find a church home before the holidays.

I live in NKC, but I'm open to anyplace within 30 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 10:26 AM

709 posts, read 1,500,946 times
I'm not a church-goer myself, but some churches that I hear are popular with millennials are Jacob's Well (this seems to be a top one), Redeemer Fellowship, and Church of the Resurrection Downtown location.

There are also some Unitarian and Unity churches that seem to be popular with millennials and the childless. While those seem like they could be a good fit for you culturally, I'm not sure how they line up with your dogma.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks for getting back with me. I'm not comfortable with a church that views gay marriage as sinful, so the 3 you mentioned aren't a good fit. I did go to the Unity on the Plaza, and there wasn't any God in their message. I'll look in to Unitarian. I may need to give up on finding a gay friendly church that has people near my age. I didn't realize how different Kansas City churches were compared to other cities.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:01 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,474,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlover3 View Post
Thanks for getting back with me. I'm not comfortable with a church that views gay marriage as sinful, so the 3 you mentioned aren't a good fit. I did go to the Unity on the Plaza, and there wasn't any God in their message. I'll look in to Unitarian. I may need to give up on finding a gay friendly church that has people near my age. I didn't realize how different Kansas City churches were compared to other cities.
I'm not sure about Kansas City in this regard, but the churches in Springfield Missouri (where I live) that are most affirming and welcoming tend to be "Christian Church" (Disciples of Christ) or Episcopal. You're also more likely to hear "God in the message" in these places, as opposed to Unity or Unitarian, in my opinion.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:40 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,595,616 times
IHOP church would be good

Or the Mormon church too

Old 11-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
IHOP church would be good

Or the Mormon church too
Seriously? Probably not for a lesbian...

Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 PM

7,457 posts, read 7,063,080 times
Quote:
Hello. I am a 35 year old childless lesbian looking for a church with other people near my age. I'm fairly new to the area, and the churches I've visited are filled with seniors and families. I like both, but then all of the groups are targeted towards them, and there really isn't anyplace I fit in. People seem really suprised that I would attend church alone, and I've even encountered mild pity for not being married with kids at several churches.

I'm looking for a church where there are other Millennials, many of whom are childless. I would like to participate in groups (like Bible study, discussions) and serve the community, rather than just going on Sundays only. Obiviously I want a church that is inclusive of all people. I've attended churches in other cities that were UCC or DOC, and my beliefs and values fit with them. Finding ones here that aren't focused on families or seniors has been harder than I thought. I was hoping to find a church home before the holidays.

I live in NKC, but I'm open to anyplace within 30 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas?
You might check these folks out:

Our Story - RMCChurch

The founding pastor is a remarkable young man. Maybe it would be a good fit, but certainly worth checking out.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:30 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,148,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Seriously? Probably not for a lesbian...
Yeah, probably not. How about the Unitarians?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like in KC the churches that attract younger adults are the one that view being gay a a sin, like the RMCChurch. That has been surprising to me. I've felt very at home in Disciples of Christ, UCC, and Episcopal churches in the past, and they fit with my beliefs. I think I'm going to give up on finding accepting churches with younger adults in KC and just go someplace where I will be welcome. This has definitely changed my thoughts about staying here long term.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like in KC the churches that attract younger adults are the one that view being gay a a sin, like the RMCChurch. That has been surprising to me. I've felt very at home in Disciples of Christ, UCC, and Episcopal churches in the past, and they fit with my beliefs. I think I'm going to give up on finding accepting churches with younger adults in KC and just go someplace where I will be welcome. This has definitely changed my thoughts about staying here long term.
I can understand your frustration. My advice is to find a welcoming church that at least attracts some young people, even if there aren't a lot. It's healthy, in my opinion, to surround yourself with people from all age groups as you worship and fellowship with other believers. And if your age group is not in the majority, that's probably ok.

I'm sure KC is not the easiest place in the country to be openly gay. But you might find it easier in downtown or midtown than in the Northland, if you have that option.

All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City