Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Q92 Q92 started this thread

12 posts, read 17,807 times

Advertisements

I need to live close to KC & to Overland Park. I welcome suggestions for towns in between.

Please list KCK/MO neighborhoods to avoid and to consider. I want to live where I do not worry about "nice things" at home, where parking is hassle free, and where there is little crime/shenanigan spill over. I would rather do without a lot of noise, traffic, etc. FYI- Olathe is too far from KC for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Better off to post in the Kansas City subforum of the Missouri forum.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Overland Park/Leawood fit your description. Low crime, nice shopping areas, no hassle parking. I live in Prairie Village but I love south Overland Park and Leawood (the newer areas). If Olathe is too far from KC, then you might think Leawood and Overland Park are too far too.

Will you be commuting downtown for work, or you just want access to the Missouri side for other things?

Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 PM

Prairie Village, Westwood, Brookside, Waldo, Leawood, northern Overland Park, Merriam, all would fit your desires.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Will you be commuting downtown for work, or you just want access to the Missouri side for other things?
I am commuting to Hanover Heights, KCK in the day and to Edwards at night, so I want to live somewhere between.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q92 View Post
I am commuting to Hanover Heights, KCK in the day and to Edwards at night, so I want to live somewhere between.
Shawnee area near Ikea might be good. I don't know the area name, street signs call it historic Shawne or old Shawnee I think

Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
So basically just south of KU Med and KU Edwards Campus at 127th and Quivira. Prairie Village would be a short commute to Hanover Heights. I live in Prairie Village and drove to Edwards Campus for a few semesters and it was a very painless commute, especially in the evening. I don't think you can go wrong in Prairie Village, Leawood or Overland Park. Even if you are closer to one location than the other, it's not going to be a bad drive.

Last edited by luzianne; 05-24-2016 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 33,482 times
Honestly KU med is a safe area in my experience, you could probably live extremely close to the KU med campus. It's also pretty far from what would be considered the dangerous areas of KCK (KU med is probably 2 or more miles south east and physically disconnected by a number of natural barriers) and quite far from what's considered the dangerous areas of KCMO (4 and up miles east). Rosedale is nice.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Are Lenexa and Mission good towns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Shawnee area near Ikea might be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think you can go wrong in Prairie Village, Leawood or Overland Park.
I find Overland Park pricey but will check Shawnee, Prairie Village, and Leawood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsgnd View Post
Honestly KU med is a safe area in my experience... It's also pretty far from what would be considered the dangerous areas of KCK.
Would you know names of those "bad" sections? Is Volker, KCMO fine? I noticed a lot of crime in nearby Midtown Westport.

Last edited by Q92; 05-25-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Are Lenexa and Mission good towns?

I find Overland Park pricey but will check Shawnee, Prairie Village, and Leawood.

Would you know names of those "bad" sections? Is Volker, KCMO fine? I noticed a lot of crime in nearby Midtown Westport.
Volker is awesome, and fairly safe. There's a little more property crime than you'd be likely to experience in NE JoCo, and there is the occasional blizzard run-in with a maundering midtown drunkard/junky, but rarely any violent crime. Rosedale east of Rainbow is largely the same. West of Rainbow can get a little rougher and has less appeal and walk ability to make up for its rough edges.

Volker, Valentine, Roanoke, West Plaza and South Hyde Park are all about of the same stripe. North Hyde Park, Old Hyde Park, aka Hanover Place(which most people would just call "Midtown") and Southmoreland are all reasonable safe but rougher and more fit for a seasoned urban dweller who doesn't balk at the occasional wild behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: