Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
While I must say that I do love your "Four Score" and your "I Have A Dream" speech, nonetheless, a thought process such as this would only get laughed at by City Council members.
Does anyone care what city council members think? The last I knew, they were there to do the will of the people, not to decide themselves what they thought best. If they are laughing at what their constituents want, they need to be voted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 PM

684 posts, read 791,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Does anyone care what city council members think? The last I knew, they were there to do the will of the people, not to decide themselves what they thought best. If they are laughing at what their constituents want, they need to be voted out.
We're not going to change what they think nor vote them out by giving redundant four score and yada yada I have dreams speeches. When we've all heard this before.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
We're not going to change what they think nor vote them out by giving redundant four score and yada yada I have dreams speeches. When we've all heard this before.
What they think doesn't matter. They are elected to represent the people, not themselves.

Your comments about "four score" worry me. Sounds like you think the principles this county was founded on are a joke. I would say you and our elected officials, including city councilmen, have forgotten that their job is to represent the people, not make decisions for them.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Lipstick on a pig. May as well do nothing.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM

684 posts, read 791,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What they think doesn't matter. They are elected to represent the people, not themselves.

Your comments about "four score" worry me. Sounds like you think the principles this county was founded on are a joke. I would say you and our elected officials, including city councilmen, have forgotten that their job is to represent the people, not make decisions for them.
Four score was sarcastically in nature to his speeches that he gives every time (or every 4th or 5th comment) about KCI's airport. So don't get paranoid and start irrationally false accusing about what I believe our founding principles were....off topic.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Four score was sarcastically in nature to his speeches that he gives every time (or every 4th or 5th comment) about KCI's airport. So don't get paranoid and start irrationally false accusing about what I believe our founding principles were....off topic.
They were your words, not mine. And it doesn't matter what you "believe" the founding principles were. They are what they are.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-21-2016 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 PM

495 posts, read 778,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lipstick on a pig. May as well do nothing.
I love it how you "always" come back to the KC forum to express your disgust for this City and how we "locals" are all stuck in 1960. Both Dulles and BWI are older than KCI and have gone through extensive renovations over the years, yet you don't go on the Baltimore/DC forums and voice your disgust. I don't have a dog in the fight, but I am open to discussing alternatives. This whole tear everything down that is more than 30-40 years old has made US cities boring and sterile. If it isn't bright, new and shiny, then people like you think something is wrong with the City and those that live, work, pay taxes and call KC home are backward hicks.

If anybody wants to read more of kcmo's opinions on our City, just read the comments from the guy from Annapolis, Maryland.
Another KCI renovation option surfaces | The Kansas City Star

I suppose you are also in favor of tearing down the Nelle Peters apartments on the Plaza for some crappy development that won't last 20 years, while these buildings have been there since the 1920's. Hey, but it's progress, right?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,072 times
I never minded flying into KCI. It's relatively cheap from Denver, and it's easy to get out of after you land.
Flying out of KCI is a little different. The waiting areas are always crowded, and there is not much to do but stand around and wait for boarding, unless you can find a seat.

The place should be a museum.

It's among my favorite Small town airports. But KC isn't really a small town.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
I love it how you "always" come back to the KC forum to express your disgust for this City and how we "locals" are all stuck in 1960. Both Dulles and BWI are older than KCI and have gone through extensive renovations over the years, yet you don't go on the Baltimore/DC forums and voice your disgust. I don't have a dog in the fight, but I am open to discussing alternatives. This whole tear everything down that is more than 30-40 years old has made US cities boring and sterile. If it isn't bright, new and shiny, then people like you think something is wrong with the City and those that live, work, pay taxes and call KC home are backward hicks.

If anybody wants to read more of kcmo's opinions on our City, just read the comments from the guy from Annapolis, Maryland.

I suppose you are also in favor of tearing down the Nelle Peters apartments on the Plaza for some crappy development that won't last 20 years, while these buildings have been there since the 1920's. Hey, but it's progress, right?
And I like how you go off on me randomly because all of my posts are not a positive spin on everything.

I post all the time in the DC, Maryland, Baltimore, Virginia forums, good and bad. I don't post negative things about BWI, because I like BWI and the metro does not have some weird relationship with it that it must never change like KC does with KCI. I think it works quite well. DCA is older, but it too is still a MUCH better experience than KCI. Dulles sucks, but nobody likes Dulles. Still better than KCI though and it has international flights, so not many options for those. The difference is BWI just expands, changes, updates etc as needed. They don't have to fight with the public over it, they just do it. I hate KCI and think it would be stupid to continue to throw money at it especially when you are going to spend as much or more and not do much to actually improve it. Yes it's worth debating it, I have my opinion and many agree with me. You have yours, and many agree with you. Just because I don't live in KC anymore doesn't mean I cant have an opinion on it. KCI is embarrassing. Some of these plans might make it a little better, but it really just needs to be replaced with a modern, better designed terminal from the ground up.

And you have to be kidding me on the tear everything down crap. I have been one of the biggest advocates of saving structures in KC that you can find anywhere. I was very involved in saving Union Station and the Liberty Memorial, I tried to help save the Law building and TWA building downtown by writing letters to city hall, kc star etc. I actually met up with the developer of the President Hotel before he pulled the trigger. I went totally nuts when they wanted to tear down the apartment buildings on the plaza to build office buildings. I cant stand the idea of tearing down perfectly viable historic structures and replacing them suburban looking office buildings when there are so many empty lots that could be built on. So it depends on the project. The new hotel proposed for the plaza that people don't want is fine. It's building up density and not tearing anything down. The "save the plaza" people are against everything. I'm only against projects that would tear down viable structures and yes, that includes the Nelle Peters apartments. Those should NOT be torn down and replaced with modern apartments. The city should find a way to save them.

Kemper Arena. I always wanted to see it turned into a permanant venue for the American Royal. I think it's stupid to tear it down and put up that little 5000 seat barn that the AR wants to build. Retrofit it into one of the better ag venues in the country. But as far as it being the city's main arena? No way. It served the city well, but it was time to move on and build a better arena in a better location. The city was not going to be able to compete with Kemper and that was proven after the city renovated it and yes, I was very against renovating Kemper rather than just building a new arena. It turned out to be a waste of money just as I had predicted.

Kauffman Stadium? I actually like the stadium, I just thought the city could have gotten a lot more out of their investment by building a new park downtown. It would have made downtown more vibrant, helped make transit work, helped bring in more hotels etc. But I don't dislike the stadium at all. For the record, I never supported tearing down Arrowhead stadium. I think it's in the perfect location and a great unique stadium bowl.

KCI. The terminals are just not conductive to modern air travel and the buildings are small, narrow, have low ceilings and would be nearly impossible to retrofit into anything functional without a near complete rebuild, which would cost more than just starting over and doing it right.

So you got me. I don't like KCI's terminals. But try again on the rest of your post.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post

In the comments, Mel Grazda sums it up perfectly....
Quote:
Why must our airport have a shopping mall inside? We are there to board or deplane. Not to live our lives.
And yes, the notion that a 43-year-old airport is "old" is the consensus of a poll of 10-year-olds. It is simply ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as has been the demolition and replacement of countless new ballparks of that age or younger around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City