Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM

11,111 posts, read 24,060,203 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about this idea, but it sounds like the city is serious about it. Raising the minimum wage that high in a lower cost of living city like KCMO that closely borders another state that won't have such a high min wage will completely slow or halt economic development in the city.

I really hope people are thinking this through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 03:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,305,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't know much about this idea, but it sounds like the city is serious about it. Raising the minimum wage that high in a lower cost of living city like KCMO that closely borders another state that won't have such a high min wage will completely slow or halt economic development in the city.

I really hope people are thinking this through.
I can see it making sense in a high COL city but in KCMO it could have pretty dramatic economic consequences.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:59 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,614,215 times
it's being proposed in St Louis as well

Old 06-06-2015, 05:41 PM

684 posts, read 799,146 times
$15 minimum wage is just too high. No, KCMO should not do this.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:44 PM

I don't think it should be that high... but I'm curious enough to see it tried too...

mostly because I can't see the prices going up that much at the stores I visit, but I want to see what it does to the low end employment. I don't see it helping them mostly because they tend to spend whatever they make so them making more doesn't mean they end up saving the difference, they just spend it and end up with just as little savings as before the wage hike.

would make housing more expensive though, not that I rent or anything :S

Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,077,924 times
All I can say is, I am glad my income exceeds $7.65 per hour. I made more than that when I was an unskilled laborer with no college degree 25 years ago - adjusted for inflation I probably made 3x-4x that amount, as a line cook with no experience at being a line cook.

I'd be especially concerned about a single parent who was forced to live in $306 per week pre-tax. Housing, child care, food, clothes, medicine - I don't know that I could make a good time of that with a dependent child and $306 per week. People deserve, in my opinion, a better chance at a "working poor" life with dignity.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'd be especially concerned about a single parent who was forced to live in $306 per week pre-tax. Housing, child care, food, clothes, medicine - I don't know that I could make a good time of that with a dependent child and $306 per week. People deserve, in my opinion, a better chance at a "working poor" life with dignity.
yes, but they should go get jobs that pay more too :S it doesn't seem all that hard to get higher paying jobs... they just need to stop applying for the minimum wages. Even if the minimum wage goes up, if they stay at the same job, they will still be in the same position later in life since they haven't moved up...

Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,794,714 times
If the minimum wage goes up that much they will be lucky to still have a job because that will put a lot of owners right out of business.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,439,490 times
Somebody must truly hate the lower-skilled workers to propose such a massive slaughter of jobs. Or they are incredibly, unbelievably ignorant.

Virtually everybody in the country making a "living wage" now started out on the bottom rung of the ladder, at minimum wage. This $15 an hour proposal will saw the bottom three rungs right off the ladder, entrench poverty more deeply, and further cement a permanent underclass in place. Oh, yes, and make liberals feel even smugger and feel even better about their noble selves and their supposed moral superiority.

If the consequences for the poor were not so dire, it would be hilarious.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Somebody must truly hate the lower-skilled workers to propose such a massive slaughter of jobs. Or they are incredibly, unbelievably ignorant.

Virtually everybody in the country making a "living wage" now started out on the bottom rung of the ladder, at minimum wage. This $15 an hour proposal will saw the bottom three rungs right off the ladder, entrench poverty more deeply, and further cement a permanent underclass in place. Oh, yes, and make liberals feel even smugger and feel even better about their noble selves and their supposed moral superiority.

If the consequences for the poor were not so dire, it would be hilarious.
it's like a train wreck to me, I don't want it to happen but if it does, I can't turn off the news on it either

Plus I don't think they even realize that it wouldn't be all that helpful to the low wage people. They will still be at the same jobs so they aren't going to move up the social ladder. Sure not all low wage people stay there, but the ones that are moving up also don't plan to stay at the low jobs either so what they make for short term isn't their "plan".

Kind of wish instead of minimum wages, they would just institutionalize promotions like the army. Up or out. If they aren't motivated enough to move up they are kicked out, they don't get to stay in current job. (I think army works this way, none of my friends ever turned down a promotion but I don't know if they had a choice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City