Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

I would take DIA over KCI any day of the week. Not only is it a better airport overall IMO and people can disagree with that because of KCI's so called ease of use, but it has FAR more flights to far more destinations with much more frequency. Even similar flights to DIA are often cheaper than KCI flights. KCI has become rather expensive to fly to even though it has one of the lowest airport funding fees tacked onto ticket prices.

Even if I didn't like "big city" airports because they intimidate me and make we walk a litte (which is what I think most people's problem with a new terminal is), I would choose a big complicated mess of a terminal over KCI just to have direct flights to places other than Denver, Chicago and DFW hubs. KCI has very few flights outside of those three markets.

Lets see 20 more minutes at DIA and more direct flights to more cities (domestic and international) or fly from little old KCI to a place like Denver anyway to reach a final destination. Silly question. Even if I hate the airport, I'll take the one with more destination options.

Now, KC will never have a big complicated terminal, a new terminal for KCI would still be relatively quick and easy to use for a market of KC's size. Even if a new terminal brought in 50% more flights (not saying this would happen), KCI would never have something like ATL, LGA etc. (places people always bring up). You are dealing with far fewer flights and a terminal designed from scratch rather than added onto 10 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Since when are elected officials supposed to decide what to do without voter approval? They are elected to represent their constituents, not make decisions in opposition to what the people want. I can't even believe you think like this. Our founding fathers would be appalled. I'm appalled too. The whole purpose of our government structure is so that things like this (one person making decisions rather than the PEOPLE) DO NOT happen.

If Sly James forces this through, he deserves not to be reelected.

And don't even get me started on the stupid things Sly James has said about crime in Kansas City - like highway shootings are just a part of urban living.
It's how all "progressives" think. In their minds, they know better and firmly believe that others must be told and must be led to acceptance of their twisted agenda. And now, after 20 years of name calling of anyone daring to challenge their bizarre stances on major social issues, they are in complete control despite still being heavily outnumbered. The American public is fast asleep on the job of protecting our freedom and our varied interests.

If there is any hope left for the future of America as intended and as we knew it in our youth, it would be in a place like Kansas City. Kansas City knows better....the question is whether they have the will and the courage to fight for what's right and what's theirs. That's what it's gonna take.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
CrownVic,

What do you think of this website?

Greater Greater Washington

I frequent this site daily and it has thousands of users that interact and comment. Most of them are basically just like me. Always looking for ways to make the city and region better. But they have one thing in common. They all crave an urban lifestyle and want to see the city evolve in that way. You keep mentioning this is all a fad, but in cities like DC, Boston, SF, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, it's WAY beyond a fad and you are into a second generation of young people that are transforming cities into livable, walkable, bikable, urban places where cars are an afterthought. That site covers most urban planning issues, but is heavy on the urban recreation and transit side of things.

Here is another site I enjoy keeping up with that is more about urban housing

http://dc.urbanturf.com/

So is this all just brainwashing? Because there sure are lot of people taking an interest in these issues in cities like DC. Sure doesn't seem forced to me.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
I kind of think DIA is ridiculous to get in and out of. Makes me appreciate KCI.

At KCI, you can buy a beer once you go through security. And yeah, the food selection isn't the best but if you're hungry there is something to eat. Really the last place I want to eat is at the airport so I usually eat before I go or on the way. Is it really that often/that long that flights are delayed at KCI? All airports are boring if you have to hang out, whether they have an entire mall inside or not.
The prices in the KCI "cage" are absolutely ridiculous!

I love DIA. It's a beautiful and exciting airport. I just like getting there a little early and people watching. I also appreciate walking after I've been sitting on a plane for hours.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It's how all "progressives" think. In their minds, they know better and firmly believe that others must be told and must be led to acceptance of their twisted agenda. And now, after 20 years of name calling of anyone daring to challenge their bizarre stances on major social issues, they are in complete control despite still being heavily outnumbered. The American public is fast asleep on the job of protecting our freedom and our varied interests.

If there is any hope left for the future of America as intended and as we knew it in our youth, it would be in a place like Kansas City. Kansas City knows better....the question is whether they have the will and the courage to fight for what's right and what's theirs. That's what it's gonna take.
Why on earth do you live in the Bay Area if you hate all things urban and liberal? That would be like me living in Topuka!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I would take DIA over KCI any day of the week. Not only is it a better airport overall IMO and people can disagree with that because of KCI's so called ease of use, but it has FAR more flights to far more destinations with much more frequency. Even similar flights to DIA are often cheaper than KCI flights. KCI has become rather expensive to fly to even though it has one of the lowest airport funding fees tacked onto ticket prices.

Even if I didn't like "big city" airports because they intimidate me and make we walk a litte (which is what I think most people's problem with a new terminal is), I would choose a big complicated mess of a terminal over KCI just to have direct flights to places other than Denver, Chicago and DFW hubs. KCI has very few flights outside of those three markets.

Lets see 20 more minutes at DIA and more direct flights to more cities (domestic and international) or fly from little old KCI to a place like Denver anyway to reach a final destination. Silly question. Even if I hate the airport, I'll take the one with more destination options.

Now, KC will never have a big complicated terminal, a new terminal for KCI would still be relatively quick and easy to use for a market of KC's size. Even if a new terminal brought in 50% more flights (not saying this would happen), KCI would never have something like ATL, LGA etc. (places people always bring up). You are dealing with far fewer flights and a terminal designed from scratch rather than added onto 10 times.
That's a great point. While you have to walk much more at DIA (oh, boo hoo!), you actually spend more time getting to most destinations from KCI because you have a layover at another airport. Another airport where you'll have to WALK! I can't even remember the last time I had a layover flying anywhere out of DIA.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Why on earth do you live in the Bay Area if you hate all things urban and liberal? That would be like me living in Topuka!
If I understand correctly, he is there for work, not by choice, and wants to move back to KC after retirement. Is that right, CrownVic?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
If I understand correctly, he is there for work, not by choice, and wants to move back to KC after retirement. Is that right, CrownVic?
Well, if he owns property in the Bay Area, he'll be able to by a McMansion on several acres in JoCo and pay cash when he retires

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
The answer is not as simple as a yes or no, except to say that being out here was definitely not a preference. I wrote out a much more detailed response but then reminded myself that I wasn't writing to you privately. Ultimately I decided that's as much as I want to say about that here.

KC has some great attributes - most of all great people - quality people - normal people; sprawl , giving people lots of elbow room; low cost of living; sports stadiums that aren't downtown, thus having easy and plentiful parking; a great airport with the fastest and most convenient entrance/exit in any major metro; and last, but not least, beautiful women . I once thought that there were lots of beautiful women everywhere. Live and learn.

But KC also has those summers - which I know you love, but in my view turns the south and much of the central part of whole nation into an uninhabitable wasteland from May through September.

So my retirement location decision is far from final. Every possibility has big pros and big cons and, believe it or not, there are even a couple of pros to staying here for a while longer.

Out here there is a large number of guest houses or casitas found distributed throughout newer upscale neighborhoods, providing opportunities for affordable (well, by Bay Area standards, that is) living in settings that people of my humble means couldn't otherwise touch with a 50' pole. These casitas are probably common in other parts of California as well, but I've never seen them anywhere else I've lived....at least not in any abundant supply like here. I am DONE with apartment/condo/townhouse/high density living for life, so I've asked myself where would I live in JoCo or Sandpoint or Canandaigua or most anywhere else that I might consider. I couldn't afford to buy where I'd want to buy, nor would it make much sense at this point for just me.

But for a person like you, with lifelong family ties there and a love of the hot summer weather, Johnson County life simply cannot be beat. Whether or not I ever return, I will always miss the quality people there and treasure the memories of what I once took for granted. I think if you ever left for warmer environs, you'd be back before you even unpacked.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:06 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The answer is not as simple as a yes or no, except to say that being out here was definitely not a preference. I wrote out a much more detailed response but then reminded myself that I wasn't writing to you privately. Ultimately I decided that's as much as I want to say about that here.

KC has some great attributes - most of all great people - quality people - normal people; sprawl , giving people lots of elbow room; low cost of living; sports stadiums that aren't downtown, thus having easy and plentiful parking; a great airport with the fastest and most convenient entrance/exit in any major metro; and last, but not least, beautiful women . I once thought that there were lots of beautiful women everywhere. Live and learn.

But KC also has those summers - which I know you love, but in my view turns the south and much of the central part of whole nation into an uninhabitable wasteland from May through September.

So my retirement location decision is far from final. Every possibility has big pros and big cons and, believe it or not, there are even a couple of pros to staying here for a while longer.

Out here there is a large number of guest houses or casitas found distributed throughout newer upscale neighborhoods, providing opportunities for affordable (well, by Bay Area standards, that is) living in settings that people of my humble means couldn't otherwise touch with a 50' pole. These casitas are probably common in other parts of California as well, but I've never seen them anywhere else I've lived....at least not in any abundant supply like here. I am DONE with apartment/condo/townhouse/high density living for life, so I've asked myself where would I live in JoCo or Sandpoint or Canandaigua or most anywhere else that I might consider. I couldn't afford to buy where I'd want to buy, nor would it make much sense at this point for just me.

But for a person like you, with lifelong family ties there and a love of the hot summer weather, Johnson County life simply cannot be beat. Whether or not I ever return, I will always miss the quality people there and treasure the memories of what I once took for granted. I think if you ever left for warmer environs, you'd be back before you even unpacked.
Ideally, I would love to live in Johnson County March or April through November, and someplace much warmer December, January, and February. Those are the months that I don't want to be in Kansas City. And it's not that it's even that cold, although it can get VERY cold, but I just am done with winter.

Just you? CrownVic, I thought there was a Mrs. CrownVic. Of course, feel free NOT to answer that here!

I read that Joe Montana sold his land/winery and now lives in a brand new condo in the Bay area on the 41st floor.

I feel like my family ties are what have kept me here when otherwise I probably would have looked into going somewhere else at some point, if only for the adventure when I was younger. But I do love it here and every time I visit anywhere else, I'm always glad to get home. Things look so wonderful here compared to so many other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City