Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM

20 posts, read 90,956 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Independence, Missouri ??
What kind of city is it ??
Is it a quiet and safe city ??
How are the people there ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM

75 posts, read 353,298 times
Independence probabaly would not be considered a quiet town. There's quite a bit of commercial shopping areas - huge plus or minus...depends on the individual. There are defiantly parts that might be a little safer than others. The best thing to do is check crime stats for zip codes you might be considering. Look at my previous posts for great links to find quick access to local info. including crime, schools, etc. Currently, part of Indep. goes to the KC school district which isn't the best for resale. There are talks going on currently however to change all of Indep. back to Indep. schools. I-70 runs through Independence. Nice for commuting. Is there a certain reason you inquire about Indep? You might also look into Blue Springs and Lee's Summit. Little bit smaller towns, great schools and not far from Indep.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM

Question Independence, Missouri

Thank you for your reply.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Independence is a fine town. The busiest shopping areas are mostly confined to the I-70/291 corridor. The KC school district takes up maybe a fourth of the town...they're trying to change that so it's in the Independence school district. It's a much more convenient place to live than in Blue Springs, which I don't think is any "quieter". Lee's Summit is convenient to the south metro. Quiet? It just depends on where you live. Most of the noise is road/freeway noise, or trains. The further away from those you are, the queiter it is. I can't speak for all neighborhoods, but I almost never hear loud music from cars, people shouting, etc.
It's a very blue collar town, but the people can be quite different depending on the area. In some parts, the people are typical suburbanites. In others, they act very country-like, redneck even. The people are generally friendly, though. The crime rate is at or below average for a town of 110,000.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Independence is a fine town. The busiest shopping areas are mostly confined to the I-70/291 corridor. The KC school district takes up maybe a fourth of the town...they're trying to change that so it's in the Independence school district. It's a much more convenient place to live than in Blue Springs, which I don't think is any "quieter". Lee's Summit is convenient to the south metro. Quiet? It just depends on where you live. Most of the noise is road/freeway noise, or trains. The further away from those you are, the queiter it is. I can't speak for all neighborhoods, but I almost never hear loud music from cars, people shouting, etc.
It's a very blue collar town, but the people can be quite different depending on the area. In some parts, the people are typical suburbanites. In others, they act very country-like, redneck even. The people are generally friendly, though. The crime rate is at or below average for a town of 110,000.
Thank you for all the info. It makes me feel a lot better knowing a little about Independence. Thank you .....................innerpeacezz

Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 16,739 times
I live in Independence and I love it, well, let's just say it's very peaceful and quiet. It's that of a retirement evironment.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:47 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I don't care for Independence. The areas of Independence bordering KC are ghetto-ish. The areas furthest from the city are fine. Compared to all the other KC 'burbs, crime is high. It's not a bad place, but there are much better 'burbs around KC to live in.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
The crime in Independence isn't much different than Grandview, Raytown, North Kansas City, Belton, etc.

It's very conveneient to most places on the Missouri side. It has many conveneiences in and of itself. It's affordable, livable, blue collar... and not perfect. Some parts of town, mostly in the northwest, are low-income and run down a bit.

In the few years I've lived in the KC area, I've heard of bank-robberies, shootings, kidnappings...in virtually EVERY suburb. Johnson County included. No place is immune.
Yes, the further out one lives from the City, the safer you will likely be.

My frustration is that if you're going to live so far out, like Grain Valley, Olathe, Peculiar, Kearney, or even Liberty or Blue Springs, then why live in a metropolitan area at all? Why add to the sprawl and the traffic conjestion?
If you live in any of the places mentioned above, you will more than likely spend a great deal of your life driving around in your car, away from family, friends, "quiet" time...things that really matter.
I don't see the point in that.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,739 times
Well, good luck on your search.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Independence Missouri ??

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Innerpeacezz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City