Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 PM

99 posts, read 416,961 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I am really feeling like it's time to move back to the state where I grew up, but I need reminding of all the good things that Missourians enjoy...I'm just fed up living out here in cuckoo land (California), and I think I want to come back.

Please tell me the good things about living in MO, namely the Kansas City area...Independence, Raytown, or maybe in one of those loft apartments downtown.

Thank you in advance,

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 01:17 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
Well I am new here; my husband and I just relocated to the KCMO area from New Jersey. We are very satisfied with our move. It's not that slow here, at least in the city and the 'burbs surrounding the city. People here are much more friendly than on the east coast. You've got people who drive too slow in the left lane, but also getting cut off is rare so it's a fair trade-off IMO. I could say more but for us, it's the cheaper housing, cheaper taxes, and nicer people that made it worthwhile for us to relocate. If I were single with no kids I would definitely consider living right in the city, maybe in the Plaza or another nice neighborhood.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Thanks...

Your post was quite nice. It looks like you are well on your way to exhibiting that midwestern hospitality...

I'm eager to return.

Thanks again,

Jason

Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,452,078 times
Default Greetings, MrJason!

Christina, I'm so glad you gave MrJason some good feedback, and really happy that things are working out very well for you in Liberty! I had the opportunity to visit St. Joseph, Liberty, and the surrounding areas two weeks ago, and my wife and I are totally eager to get moved back to St. Joe. Now it's just getting our house fixed up a little bit more, getting it sold, and getting hired at a library system near you (God be willing!)!

As for you, MrJason, it's amazing how similar our circumstances are, for I grew up in the St. Louis area, moved to Left Coast Gulch 21 years ago, flew back to Missouri with my immediate family on vacation and to visit relatives in April 2003 (one year after my mom passed away), and started feeling a strong urge to move back to my roots. It wasn't until about a year ago that my wife and I wanted to learn more about St. Joseph, a place that seemed as far away as China when I grew up in St. Louis. The more we researched St. Joseph on the Internet and got feedback from StJoeFanatic and others on these city-data forums, the more we thought the town or the surrounding area closer to Kansas City would be a great place to move back to.

San Clemente is a fantastic location if you can forget the fact that it's still a part of California. That means, like here in Santa Rosa, it's a big fat ripoff, it's congested, and our politicians in Sacramento are taking what was once the best of the 50 states bar none and driving it straight into the ground. Our state is headed toward bankruptcy. There are plenty of folks, especially up here, who are horrified at the thought of spanking a three-year old but apparently think the Founding Fathers pledged their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to enable abortion doctors to kill second and third trimester unborn babies. The middle class is quickly disappearing. Sorry for the rant; I should play down California's negative attributes and start playing up Missouri's positive attributes. We can write more here in the coming days; but in brief, I think you feel the same longing to come back home that my wife (a native Californian) and I have felt for some time. To me, Santa Rosa has never totally felt like home, but more like a temporary living place in a geographically nice area where I can go visit other nice places like the ocean, redwood forests, the Sierra foothills and high Sierras. My friends from church have been wonderful sources of support too. But I've never felt connected to this area at large. Most of Missouri seems to emphasize old-fashioned values and hospitality.

I wish you all the best, and think you're going to love coming back to the KC area! See what you think of Liberty and Parkville. Areas of Independence and Raytown might not be too bad either, and especially Blue Springs if you're thinking the area east of downtown KC.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, northbayeric.

Yes, I do see some similarities in our situations, for what brought me back to KC most recently was my mother's funeral. And, while I do like living in San Clemente, I just feel no connection to the state. I sat down yesterday and did a pro/con analysis of the two states, and I had a hard time coming up with many pros for California, beyond the weather. Maybe it's just time for me to return. MY younger brother, who was 4 when we moved here and is now 26, asks me "won't you miss the ocean, Yosemite, Big Sur and all the things to do?" Hmm, maybe a little. Heck, I've travelled all over this state, but it doesn't really stir my soul...no real connection.

The next step for me is sending off all my transcripts and teaching credential to Jefferson City to see if it will all transfer and qualify me to teach there. If that's a go I'm going to move forward.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:52 PM

75 posts, read 353,476 times
Some might disagree, but it just seems so easy or quick to get to places here. I live in Lee's Summit and I can get to so many greats areas to eat, shop and loads of entertainment w/in 30 minutes from my front door. We defiantly have rush house but other than that, highway/interstate driving is a breeze in all directions. I also LOVE the seasons here! That is really what keeps me here! Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,794 times
Super nice, friendly, accepting, reasonable, warm people
The Plaza lights
The Nelson Atkins with the new Bloch Building
Friends of Alvin Ailey Ballet
The Kansas City Irish Festival
The Weston Irish Festival
Affordable Housing
Really good ethnic food
Really good BBQ
Really good locally roasted coffee
All four seasons
Ease of getting around
Camping and swimming at Clinton Lake
Louisburg Cider mill and cider doughnuts
Good churches.
Legal Fireworks for 4th of July week( I mean mortars, not sparklers
The CHIEFS!
I could go on. We are actually being relocated to NC in the spring and I am going to cry like a baby when I have to leave here.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Christina, I'm so glad you gave MrJason some good feedback, and really happy that things are working out very well for you in Liberty! I had the opportunity to visit St. Joseph, Liberty, and the surrounding areas two weeks ago, and my wife and I are totally eager to get moved back to St. Joe. Now it's just getting our house fixed up a little bit more, getting it sold, and getting hired at a library system near you (God be willing!)!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE St. Joseph. My husband and I seriously considered moving there but in the end, I wanted to be a little closer to the city. But we will definitely be regular visitors.

Best of luck Jason in getting your credentials transferred and moving back home.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I LOVE LOVE LOVE St. Joseph. My husband and I seriously considered moving there but in the end, I wanted to be a little closer to the city. But we will definitely be regular visitors.

Best of luck Jason in getting your credentials transferred and moving back home.
I agree. St. Joseph is a neat river town with a lot of history and neat older houses. However, I do not care for the very old brick buildings. I recognize the historical significance of those buildings, however.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Thanks for the excellent suggestions

I am so eager to leave California, but I'm mixed up about where to live in MO. My dad (who spent 42 years in KC) says I should go to Springfield, yet I have family and friends in Raytown and Independence.

I've become somewhat progressive and liberal in my views, so I'm a bit leary of moving to a small-ish little town in MO. I'm not religious at all, and I vote Democrat...uh, oh, now I've done it, haven't I. Anyway, I'm not a total hippie just a bit of a free thinker. I'm sure there are plenty of those in MO too, right? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City