Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times

Advertisements

At worse, IKEA is a great place to get decorating ideas.
They do have a lot of quality products and furniture although they have a reputation for cheap disposables.

I'm lucky enough to have an IKEA about 7 miles from home, and three IKEAS within 30 miles.

My sister drives 4 hours from Albany, NY to NJ. People make the trip (just like people make the trip to the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield). Put one in Columbia and it will be a destination store accessible to St. Louis and KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:04 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
At worse, IKEA is a great place to get decorating ideas.
They do have a lot of quality products and furniture although they have a reputation for cheap disposables.

I'm lucky enough to have an IKEA about 7 miles from home, and three IKEAS within 30 miles.

My sister drives 4 hours from Albany, NY to NJ. People make the trip (just like people make the trip to the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield). Put one in Columbia and it will be a destination store accessible to St. Louis and KC.
IKEA has a very poor sustainability record and I will not shop there. All the supporting info is online.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
STL paper talks about more rumors too. Ikea still says they have no plans to expand this year but Trader Joes consistently said that too until officially announcing KC.

Yet another Ikea rumor surfaces in St. Louis

For KC, the Ikea official said something a little different...

"Ikea’s Roth said “we have not committed to a time frame for the Kansas City area.”

Last edited by xenokc; 07-23-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM

267 posts, read 618,930 times
Afaik, the business journal is respectable, then again my dad used to write for them. Assuming this rumor has some truth to it, it will likely take a couple years at least for IKEA to actually be built there. It's just like how TJs took quite awhile here. Merriam made a dumb gamble destroying half their town for more retail when there is a THRIVING strip mall across the street, to build a new one anchored by Circuit City *gasp* and now there are NO tenants.

Another thing would be logistics. From what I've seen, IKEA stores are massive, like the size of NFM almost, I'm thinking of the one on 121 in Frisco TX. That lot seems too small for some reason, plus grading would be a concern, as it was a huge slope.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
^I've only been to NFM a couple of times, but if memory serves me at all correctly I'm pretty sure Ikea's are actually bigger than NFM.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 AM

396 posts, read 999,256 times
If so, that is huge!

KCK Nebraska Furniture Mart is 450,000 sq ft of retail space.

Nebraska Furniture Mart - Kansas City Store

Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I've only been to NFM a couple of times, but if memory serves me at all correctly I'm pretty sure Ikea's are actually bigger than NFM.
Not really. IKEAs are set up like a maze. You have to walk a mile in the places and zigzag all over the place and most are two levels of maze. NFM is huge. It's a least as big as an IKEA. Probably a little bigger (showroom).

I don't get the hate for IKEA though. They serve a purpose and a market. NFM sells crap too, you just pay more for it. It's all crap.

Even if you are not a college student etc, IKEA has quite a bit of things that come in handy that are hard to find elsewhere. NFM is a nicer store though. I'm surprised they are not a national phenomenon that every city wants. It's nice to have so much in one showroom to at least get ideas although NFM has very little modern and contemporary stuff.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Wow NFM is that big? I don't think the Ikea's I've been to have been quite that large, but Wikipedia does say their flagship store is 55,200 square meters which is like 600k sq/ft.

edit: Ok I found an article in the Chicago trib from a few years back that says the Bolingbrook location is only 310k sq/ft.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 PM

396 posts, read 999,256 times
Either way, it would be a massive building.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
The Star's retail/restaurant reporter (ahem, blogger) Joyce Smith didn't mention Ikea in her Tue column today and she did look into it. Unless KCBJ knows something she doesn't, they are just perpetuating rumors (and I suppose I did too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City