Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,812,003 times

Advertisements

And if you don't end up with a yard, there's a large dog park in Penn Valley Park between downtown/midtown (off 31st street).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,773,647 times
You sound like you might live in Uptown area of Dallas. Depending on where you will be in OP (OP is very large suburb, especially running north/south), your commute if you live in Downtown KC will be similar to Uptown to Plano. When I moved to D from OP I wanted to be close to Downtown due to unfamiliarity with the rest of Dallas and wanted to have a short, convenient commute. Then if I wasn't happy living there, I had least had a year to get my bearings straight and try other areas (which I didn't have to do fortunately). At least by living close to work, I could take that advantage for granted.

Some additional considerations about commuting from KC to OP:

Weather. It does get very cold and lots more snow and ice in KC. Commuting during this kind of weather is a monster. Granted, the Midwest will devote more resources to inclement weather (unlike Dallas), but this kind of weather can occur for days/weeks on end. This can increase your commute time (and frustration) substantially.

KC Earnings Tax: If you live in KC, you will pay 1% of your compensation to the City of KC, with no deductions. Flat 1%.

Missouri and Kansas income taxes: If you work in Kansas and live in Missouri, you will need to file tax returns for both states. You will get a credit to prevent double taxation however, the tax rates differ so you might wind up paying more in taxes just by virtue of living in Missouri. You might want to factor in an overall state tax cost of 4-6%.

When I lived in OP, I commuted Downtown (a monster commute) from 87th and I-35. However, I did not mind the drive to and from Plaza and Westport. Again, depending on where in OP, but Ward Parkway was a beautiful drive home especially on a warm summer night. You might want to consider living close to work in Year 1, see where you like to socialize, and decide accordingly for Year 2. In any event, KC is a wonderful town and I miss it alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City