Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 PM

47 posts, read 95,410 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am the researcher for my 22 year old daughter who will start working for Cerner in June 2012. She is not really a city person, and a Cerner relocater has highly recommended Crossing at Barry apt in NOrthland area for her. It is amazing with 2 resort pools, tennnis courts, exericse room and free classes, club house, 2 huge lakes, close to Zona Rosa, 15 min form downtown and airport, safe area. She likes to be able to walk/run. The relocater said she placed 50 young grads like her there last year working for Cerner. Being an outdoor girl this all appeals to her. They have an employee discount. However, about 5 friends have said she should definitely live in Plaza/Waldo area to meet lots of young professionals, that is the place to live! She definitely wants to have a social life. So, now she is confused, does anyone know how many young professionals live at Crossing at Barry apt in K.C.? Is it a fun place to live?
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP and TIME!!!!!
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
I think its a good place for Single Young Professionals. There are a couple people on my softball team who live there and one actually works at Cerner

Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM

35 posts, read 138,586 times
I came to KC 7 years ago at age 24 when I took a position with Cerner. I had never really known downtown type life, as I was always in suburbs growing up, so thats where I went when I got to town. Biggest regret is that I never took the opportunity to try a different style, living in the downtown/plaza/waldo areas - and now that I'm married with a family, I'll be sticking to the suburbs. She'll get to know a lot of the people she'll be in training with, and it usually equates to going out a lot after work and weekends... being in those areas makes it easier to be social and is safer to get home afterwards. I say have her give it a shot for a year, and if being out towards the suburbs is what she'd rather do, then at least she gave something different a shot.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanks so much brewcrew and poke for your advise. Both are very helpful to know. Poke made an interesting point of trying something different. She likes to walk around at night and feel safe, assuming she could do that at the Plaza. There is Loose Park, I hear is nice, and she could run there. Everyone makes K.C. seem so dangerous, but as with any city have to be careful. Also, she will be traveling 50% of time and in big cities, and motels, seems it would be nice to come home to a more peaceful setting like the Crossing. So, pros and cons. She is leaning towards the Plaza becasue of the social life.
Thank you both so very, very, very much!!!!!
Karen

Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
yea, try the city first. You really have one chance to see if you like it. Once you have a family etc, city living it pretty much out, especially in a city like KC where there just is not much to choose from if you want to have a family in the city. If you don't like it, then move when the lease is up. Most seem to like it though.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I might add that there are many newer apartment complexes in Clay and Platte County which have similar amenities, so if she decides to go the suburban route, she might look at several rather than just what the Cerner people are pushing.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM

35 posts, read 138,586 times
Agree with Okey... There is one very close to Crossing thats on the NW corner of I29/152.. River something, maybe Riverstone? Anyways, that one is really new. Just down the road at Line Creek Pkwy/152 there is Manor Homes of Foxcrest (every unit has a garage attached). Go another couple of miles and you have Barrewoods (I lived there for a year and had a great experience - lots of Cerner people there too). Then towards Liberty there is one off 152 (just off the southside of the highway), west of Flintock.. not sure the name, but looks nice from the highway, and is new.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Dear friends Kcmo, Okey, poke,
YOu are wondeful to take the time to respond! THANK YOU THANK YOU
YOu are only young once, that is a true statement. If she can run, find places to hike/backpack (outside K.C.) she might like the stimulation of the city. It seems like such a big choice now, never living in the city, and new job too. I have never lived in the city either.
Will also definitely check out those other apartments mentioned. Thanks for the great suggestions!!!
Karen

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I know Carrington Park is a brand new complex in the northland. I don't know specifically about Carrington Park, but I know Carrington Square in Overland Park (owned by the same company) is one of the best rated apartment complexes.

My daughter has a friend who has worked for Cerner for about a year and also travels. She also lives in an apartment up north. I will ask my daughter where her friend lives and PM you.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
Just to clarify a couple things, you mentioned Plaza/Waldo in your original post. These are two quite different areas. Waldo is a neighborhood about 3 to 4 miles south of the Plaza. While it is still in the city, and urban in comparison to Barry Rd., it has more of an inner ring, streetcar suburb feel to it. It might be a good choice for someone who wants more of a suburban feel, but still would like to be in an area that has some walkability and urban amenities, as well as a higher portion of young professionals and easier access to the Plaza and Downtown.

The Plaza area, (as well as neighboring communities worth checking out such as Westport, Volker, Roanoke, etc) will be more "city" than Waldo with larger apartment buildings, higher density and concentration of dining/shopping/entertainment, young people, etc.

There are plenty of parks and areas for walking/running in all these neighborhoods. (There's a popular walking trail that runs from Waldo to the Plaza).

If social life and fun are top priorities, I would definitely recommend somewhere in the city over Barry Rd. But city life is not for her, then the Northland would be a fine option.

As far as "everyone making KC seem dangerous" - many people (and the local media) seem to be overly fixated on crime in KC. Its really no different from most cities and areas like the Plaza are perfectly safe. There is unfortunately high crime in the rough parts of the city (generally east of Troost) but your daughter would have no reason to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: