Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
As far as "everyone making KC seem dangerous" - many people (and the local media) seem to be overly fixated on crime in KC. Its really no different from most cities and areas like the Plaza are perfectly safe. There is unfortunately high crime in the rough parts of the city (generally east of Troost) but your daughter would have no reason to go there.
Is fair to say there is more crime in the city than in the suburbs like any city but yeah, the serious crime mostly occurs on the E Side, not as much through the main city corridor, though still need to be wary. I posted (in another thread) KC's crime index by zipcode compared to other cities and downtown/midtown came in lower than downtown/uptown Minneapolis and better than best parts of Chicago/DC/STL. Plaza to Waldo area came in even lower, though higher than most burbs of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
I have friends that live there and they like it. I have swam at the pools their several times and it seems lik e it is filled with a lot of younger people. The great thing about living there is that she will only be 15 minutes from the top nightlife spots in KC. Downtown is a very short trip from that location and Zona Rosa is within walking distance as well which has a small nightlife.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM

47 posts, read 95,449 times
Hi Poke 17, I still have not quite figured out how this forum works. I think I am only resonding to you But wanted to say I checked out all your apt suggestions and all of them are good possibilities. Barrewoods looks interesting, about the same price. Having lots of people around her age is important, and you mentioned about Cerner, and you lived there and liked it! Thanks for your suggestions!!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Thanks Luzianne for the lead about Carrington Park, anxious to check it out. Interesting about Carrington Square in Overland Company rating. If you know of a reliable rating system of apt please let me know. It may be advertising, and not know the source. If you find out about the friend please let me know! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS!!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM

WiseOwl,
Appreciate the clarification of Plazza vs. Waldo, very helpful. It is like almost have to see it, your description certainly helps! Guess we have heard more about the Plaza area. And she definitey wants to be near a place to run. Also, she wants to be able to go out for a walk at night. What area could she safely do that in?
So sounds like the city definitely has more younger people, how will she meet them, if she does not go to bars? In the past she has usually met more people through activities, like running, fitness club. Do you know of any good places that have parking, safe to walk at night,have exercise room, fairly close to running area. She runs 5-6 miles at a time. I guess that is asking a lot. Just whatever you know is most helpful!!!!
Thanks WISEOWL

Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Thanks so much RjROBB,
So sounds like the Crossing would be great, since she is an activity type person. Being able to walk around at night in a safe area is appealing. But so many people told her K.C., it is hard to make up her mind without seeing it, but time and studies will not permit a visit. Know she can always move, but just a hassle. She likes to get things right the first time--if possible. THANKS
Karen

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Xenokc, very helpful and specific information, encouraging, will try to find your other post
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST and HELP!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM

709 posts, read 1,493,232 times
Mill Creek Park, on the east side of the Plaza seems to be very popular with runners. It also has some exercise stations as well.

Loose Park to the south of the Plaza is a beautiful larger park that is another good option.

For walking, the Plaza is great for walks and would be a good option safe for a night walk (brightly lit, usually plenty of people and security around). The grounds of the nearby Nelson Atkins Art Museum are also very nice for a walk.

I don't have any particular. recommendations of apartments on the plaza that have an exercise room. I know there's the Fountainview Apartments - which is a big, suburban style complex with pool and amenities, etc. Personally, I'm not a fan those types of developments and feel that part of the appeal of living by the Plaza would be having an older, more historic and urban apartment.

It may be wise for your daughter to not limit herself to apartments with exercise facilities and perhaps consider a gym membership (there are several nearby options). It would open up many more living options and could save money in the end.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Wise Owl.
Some very useful ideas to definitely pass on and research. Never neard of Mill Creek Park, know Loose Park. Glad to hear about the safety of the Plaza!!! And like the idea of gym membership!! Will investigate. THANKS AGAIN, Plaza seems like the way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: