Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 AM

700 posts, read 1,647,799 times

Advertisements

Have looked into relocating a couple of times to Kansas City. This is due to my wife's job. I have visited looked around for housing temp and perm. Seen some of the sites. What is it really like? What is there to do for the resident that has lived there for awhile? Where is the best place to live? Are any newer homes built of brick. Saw a lot of wood. Traffic? Schools? Taxes? Local government? Crime? Jobs? Sell me on the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
What is it really like? -- There's no good way to answer this
What is there to do for the resident that has lived there for awhile? -- Pretty much anything you want to do -- it's a major city. What do you like to do?
Where is the best place to live? -- Depends where you work and what kind of environment you like (urban, suburban, rural?)
Are any newer homes built of brick. Saw a lot of wood. -- KC uses a ton of stucco; it's very common in new homes here. I'm sure brick homes can be found however. Can you give an idea of what your budget will be?
Traffic? -- Minimal for the most part
Schools? -- Vary wildly --there are great schools and there are terrible schools just like everywhere.
Taxes? -- Lower than the national average
Local government? -- We have a local government.
Crime? -- Depends where you want to live.
Jobs? -- Depends what you want to do.

Your questions are really just far too broad to offer you much help. if you come back and tell us where your wife would be working, what kinds of areas you like, what you like to do, and an idea of what your budget will be we can offer far more tailored advice.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What is there to do for the resident that has lived there for awhile? -- Pretty much anything you want to do -- it's a major city. What do you like to do?
Where is the best place to live? -- Depends where you work and what kind of environment you like (urban, suburban, rural?)
Are any newer homes built of brick. Saw a lot of wood. -- KC uses a ton of stucco; it's very common in new homes here. I'm sure brick homes can be found however. Can you give an idea of what your budget will be?
Schools? -- Vary wildly --there are great schools and there are terrible schools just like everywhere.

Your questions are really just far too broad to offer you much help. if you come back and tell us where your wife would be working, what kinds of areas you like, what you like to do, and an idea of what your budget will be we can offer far more tailored advice.
Agree on all counts. Newer construction does do a lot of wood, including really lower grade types of wooden siding in the area, but as the price range goes up, you can find stone and brick homes that are new construction. Most are built to be priced more affordably, though, so you see more of less costly materials. For those who go the vintage route, KC has a good deal of Arts & Crafts-era housing stock...lots of stonework and brickwork. It really will depend on where you're looking, and the history/age/demographic of the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM

26,433 posts, read 46,657,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

This is a bit off-topic, but KC builders should know better than to use stucco as a building material due to the climate of the region being wet (40+ inches of precip) with lots of freeze/thaw cycles.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM

700 posts, read 1,647,799 times
OP is where she will be working. I own my own business which I will be leaving here to continue growth and looking for to expand there. If needed going back in to the real job world. My experience is in warehousing, transportation, solid waste and management. Home now is brick on about half acre in suburban area. 1900 sq ft heated. Two car garage excluded in sq ft. About 650 sq ft. Single level. Would like the same. About 180,000.00. School would be HS.
As for things to do. Like hunting, fishing, taverns, micro breweries, sports (no professional). But, of course professional works.
As for the local government question. It is more along the lines of that old school not much for change or modern looks at changes as good. Sure the politics play in to everything. Basically are they balanced , work together. Not stalemate.
Crime and living of course go hand in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: