Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 AM

8 posts, read 17,596 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Our family is considering moving to the KC area for a job offer my husband received. We are traveling to KC next weekend to view the area and look for homes. We are curious about the commute from Blue Springs into KC?? Wondering what the 'locals' could tell us. We have heard good and bad about the area. Anything you could tell us about the commute from BS to KC, and also any info about the city of BS and the school district would be terrific! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM

36 posts, read 76,306 times
well i live in blue springs crime rate is on the rise the schools are great but need to improve alot of problems is that Kansas city lost its cerification in its schools so we have alot of them moving out to blue springs if i was you look somewhere else to live police department has calls waiting anywhere from 20mins to 2 hours because lack of officers

Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
I lived in Blue Springs for almost 8 years and we thought the schools were great and never thought crime was an issue. We lived in a pretty nice part of the city though near the border of Lee's Summit.

I also worked downtown. Traffic on 70 is not bad. Depending on what you are used to. Compared to here in DC, traffic was nearly non-existent. Delays rarely exceeded 10 minutes. But once every week or two, a crash would cause severe delays.

The problem with 70 is just bad drivers more than volume. Even during rush hour the actual volumes are not that bad, but people drive SO SLOW when they could easily speed up or change lanes to let others pass. This causes most of the congestion in KC. That and people trying to get on the highway going half the speed of the traffic (and people don’t even drive that fast in KC so getting up to speed should be easy).

So the drive is more annoying than anything.

Blue Springs has great commuter express bus service into downtown KC.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I lived in Blue Springs for a few years back in the 1980s, and commuted to the Crown Center area. So my information is not exactly the newest...one thing I did find on I-70, if there is an accident, there are very few alternate routes you can jump off onto that won't be clogged with other people doing the exact same thing. (Current locals, think 40 Highway/39th Street/Linwood/Truman Road).

Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 PM

36 posts, read 76,306 times
kcmo the bus service sucks it has buses from 5 to 630 am and then again at 7 to 7 30 am then from 3 30 pm and 5 pm nothing more if you miss the bus you are short there isnt anything great about Blue Springs now as of today i live here not awhile back i am talking about today i have a 15 year old in the freshman center fights everyday drugs bust everyday so i am very concerned about the freshman center here in blue springs as for my son he attends a middle school britany hills its ok but day to day problems and the traffic to kc its ok just a hard drive if something happens since i live here and in the next year i will be moving selling the house to get out its bad people talk about kc being full of crime compare kc toblue springs and the size kc has nothing on the damn town

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1313 View Post
kcmo the bus service sucks it has buses from 5 to 630 am and then again at 7 to 7 30 am then from 3 30 pm and 5 pm nothing more if you miss the bus you are short there isnt anything great about Blue Springs now as of today i live here not awhile back i am talking about today i have a 15 year old in the freshman center fights everyday drugs bust everyday so i am very concerned about the freshman center here in blue springs as for my son he attends a middle school britany hills its ok but day to day problems and the traffic to kc its ok just a hard drive if something happens since i live here and in the next year i will be moving selling the house to get out its bad people talk about kc being full of crime compare kc toblue springs and the size kc has nothing on the damn town
Fights and drug busts every day? Come on. My kids went to Delta Woods and it was as fantastic school. I don't believe for a second that blue springs has tanked and become some sort of ghetto in just a couple of years. I still own a home there and hear no complaints from my tenants. The city has some bad areas, mostly along parts of Route 7, but there are plenty great areas. I never said the place is great. It's just a suburb.

Also, for metro KC, blue springs does have good express bus service. Four morning and four afternoon buses with a straight shot into downtown. I took it from Woods Chapel and it took the same time as driving. It's commuter bus service. You are not going to have buses running all day or anything. They run about the same hours here in DC to outer suburbs.

I respect your opinion and you have every right to voice it here. But if places like Blue Springs have become crime ridden and un safe with terrible schools (basically how you are describing it), then god help metro KC...

Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 17,596 times
Thanks for the feedback. We are also looking into Liberty and Belton. What are these communities like?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM

99 posts, read 232,903 times
I live in Blue Springs as well. I have very very close relation that works at the Freshman Center and James is 100% correct. The school is why we are leaving the area. I will say this about the school system in general. We have some very good teachers here and good people in general that work for the system but safety is a concern (IMO) at the Freshaman Center.
Delta Woods is a great middle school and we know several fantastic folks there. I don't want to come off against this town/school district but want to make sure I don't make it sound like something it may have been at one time. I will stop at saying this. We have big boys and won't let them go anywhere not even a block away without supervision with all the things that have happened here over the last year.

Can we ask what part of town is he going to be working?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM

So is it a freshman center problem? I never understood why BS had a freshman center. I have heard it's to avoid building another high school.

Anyway, if this is true and things are really that bad in Blue Springs, it's sad how much of metro KC has issues.

To the OP, I would choose Liberty over Belton, but Belton is not a bad place.

Then again, it may be now...

Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM

99 posts, read 232,903 times
The district as a whole is good, but declining. Schools are full and teachers are fed up with such large classrooms. The Freshman Center is a tough deal. Kids during that time are on edge with hormones out of wack which makes the teachers on edge and then you have a problem. We are getting extra security to try and help and I think it will but bottom line I don't like having my relation work there. Her car has had the convertor cut off in the parking lot (while parked next to one of the police cars), has had to break up fights nearly weekly. It is truely sad to see such a nice town turn into this.
I really shouldn't say anything let alone this much but just wanted her to know this is no place to raise a family, at least anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City