Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM

89 posts, read 164,346 times

Advertisements

So i'm looking at living here it's right on the edge of all the bars. Does anyone know anybody that has lived in these apartments? How safe is the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:10 AM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmatrix View Post
So i'm looking at living here it's right on the edge of all the bars. Does anyone know anybody that has lived in these apartments? How safe is the area?
With those tall gates, security systems and all the cameras the place is pretty darn safe. 39th Terrace is a wonderful street with several families and the condos across Pennsylvania are pretty darn quiet. RoTeN, known as the broadway bully, likes to tag some of the buildings around there but I always found his antics more amusing than dangerous. Also, everybody at Westport Manor has big dogs, some of them intimidating (though all very sweet).

39th and Broadway has some problems. When I was living there I heard of shootings and other crimes at the McDonald's there so keep your head on a swivel when out and about at night.

If you can get over the tiny space (550 sq ft for a 1B) you will be pampered by the new appliances and granite counter tops. John and Jamie, the property manager and his handyman, are always ready and willing to help with problems. Great place to live.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Me and the SO lived there when it was first renovated. They're very small but very nice. Not so great for a couple, but perfect for a single.

It's an easy walk down Pennsylvania to everything in Westport, and I had no concerns about safety in either the complex or the neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post

39th and Broadway has some problems. When I was living there I heard of shootings and other crimes at the McDonald's there so keep your head on a swivel when out and about at night.
Why is 39th and Broadway so crappy, it seems like Broadway and Main from 39th to Armour seems shady, you would think KC life would want to clean Broadway up

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Why is 39th and Broadway so crappy, it seems like Broadway and Main from 39th to Armour seems shady, you would think KC life would want to clean Broadway up
39th and Broadway isn't really bad on its own. Some of the crap east of there tends to spill over at that location. It is something to watch and be aware of. On that strip between Broadway and Main there are some unsavory types pedaling drugs and generally looking rough around the edges. Though, they pretty much mind their own business. There is no major gang activity there and that is probably why bad things happen only on occasion and to people getting themselves in trouble in the first place.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

I have no problem with the 39th and Broadway intersection during the day, but even at twilight I don't get a great vibe from it. When I used to take the bus I would initially take the 51 to 39th and Broadway and walk home, but I found that even thought it was a slightly longer walk, I much preferred getting off at Westport Rd and Pennsylvania.

But as mentioned, OP, I didn't see much "spillover" to 39th and Pennsylvania, and the gated complex makes all that moot anyway. I just never did like going to that Walgreens after dark (though even by car is really fine).

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. It looks like a nice place and sounds fun as well crime was my only concern because I had a friend who someone tried to rob on 39th thankfully he was fast and ran away. Another friend told me when walking down there it's almost safer walking on the main streets like Broadway or Main compared to the side ones like Pennslyvania. Reason being atleast on those main streets theres other people around. Also good points about the gates and cameras it sounds like the property owners are really involved, this goes along way into make an apartment complex a great place.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:15 PM

^There's always plenty of pedestrian traffic on Pennsylvania south of 39th street. Other streets like Central that is probably quite true for though!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^There's always plenty of pedestrian traffic on Pennsylvania south of 39th street. Other streets like Central that is probably quite true for though!
Of course thats where the bars are I think he was talking more so about north heading towards the Valentine neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 PM

^True story, once you're north of 39th even Pennsylvania can feel a little too quiet. I'd by no means call it dangerous, but sticking to highly trafficked streets is always a pretty solid urban living strategy.

When I lived in Chicago (Wicker Park) I never minded, no matter the time, walking alone down one of the main streets -- they were well lit and full of passersby. But you certainly wouldn't have seen me walking up one of the side streets like Winchester alone after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City