Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,275 times

Advertisements

I'm new to KC area... and love BBQ. I've been severely disappointed in the BBQ here so far. I've tried several including the often named Gates, Bryants, Rosedales, and Oklahoma Joe's. OK Joes was the only one worth going back to, in my opinion. I'm not sure if these places don't truly smoke their meats for hours or what? I have noticed the quality of meat is pretty awful, some of which I would barely even feed to my dog....

Maybe that's what KC BBQ is; leftover cuts of meat, grilled for a 45 minutes, served on a bun from the 'day old bakery outlet' with decent sauce over the top???

Until I find the elusive 'Great Kansas City BBQ' I keep hearing about, I'll have to get my BBQ fix when I travel to other parts of the country...like STL, southern MO, Texas or the Carolina's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi_Running_Bear View Post
I'm new to KC area... and love BBQ. I've been severely disappointed in the BBQ here so far. I've tried several including the often named Gates, Bryants, Rosedales, and Oklahoma Joe's. OK Joes was the only one worth going back to, in my opinion. I'm not sure if these places don't truly smoke their meats for hours or what? I have noticed the quality of meat is pretty awful, some of which I would barely even feed to my dog....

Maybe that's what KC BBQ is; leftover cuts of meat, grilled for a 45 minutes, served on a bun from the 'day old bakery outlet' with decent sauce over the top???

Until I find the elusive 'Great Kansas City BBQ' I keep hearing about, I'll have to get my BBQ fix when I travel to other parts of the country...like STL, southern MO, Texas or the Carolina's.
The only problem I've run into personally is with Rosedale BBQ and their turkey specifically. Seems like low-grade, processed deli meat from a grocery store VS truly smoked, pure carved turkey breast. Then again, grew up on Gate's and Hickory Log and have no experience with BBQ elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
I think in KC it's more about the sauces rather then the meats and if they are smoked or not. You should try LC's BBQ, it's pretty good, the Burnt Ends are so good

Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi_Running_Bear View Post

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you feel better.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I've had some incredible ribs here (though privately made so I have no restaurant rec for you sadly!), and the sauces are just absolutely, almost universally, delicious, but I would be moderately inclined to agree that I've had some other meats that haven't been all that amazing. I definitely haven't been everywhere, but I really do like Oklahoma Joe's (and Jack Stack though I'm not as likely to go as often) -- I like it so well I haven't had a super strong desire to try a ton of other places!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I think in KC it's more about the sauces rather then the meats and if they are smoked or not. You should try LC's BBQ, it's pretty good, the Burnt Ends are so good
Well, no it's not about the sauce... BBQ by definition is slow cooked meat, sauce is just an accessory. The problem is many places to take shortcuts, and not just in KC (mentioned in previous posts). BBQ is probably the most difficult restaurant format to deliver consistently (and Thai). Most places in KC aren't too bad if you hit them on a day they focus on doing it right.

I like OK Joes pulled pork and sometimes the ribs (not on Thu rib night because they move too many and they are not slow cooked enough). LC's is consistently good. Woodyard BBQ is KCK is my fave for brisket. I really liked Brodies in Smithville but they closed.

KC's BBQ position is due to many BBQ masters in town who don't own restaurants. The restaurants are just an echo of the true scene. There are actually more Mexican and Asian restaurants in KC than BBQ.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
I have had a lot Texas BBQ and down there you really do not need sauce, the meat has so much flavor, but most of the places i've been to in KC, sauce is almost a necessity.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I have had a lot Texas BBQ and down there you really do not need sauce, the meat has so much flavor, but most of the places i've been to in KC, sauce is almost a necessity.
I've had the exact opposite experience. Bland, underseasoned meat with very little balance or layoring of flavor, sometimes acrid wood choice, and obvious shortcuts in time an technique. What's more is I've rarely seen barbecue in Texas without at least table sauce. And I have only twice had brisket in Texas that wasn't steamed in foil, which is braising, not barbecueing.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
All I know is that we ordered Jack Stack off the internet and oh my god was it good.

About the only thing I order in KC is burnt ends or ribs, if I order a sandwich, I always order turkey. Most places are pretty good. It's when you order sliced beef etc where things become less predictable. Gates beef on bun is nasty IMO (too much fat and gristle), but I love their turkey, burnt ends, ribs, beans, fries, sauce, etc.

But seriously, any of you kc bbq fans that live outside of KC, give jack stack a try. They do a great job!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,766 times
Default Best BBQ

Only 1 mention of one of the best BBQ places in Kansas City...Zardas, the bbq beans are top notch..burnt ends are always good and the ribs are excellent in my opinion..I have eaten at alost all of the other places I recommend either Zardas or the Smoke House, been eatin both places for years and have never had a bad experience at either place. just my .02 Thanks! give it a try! Zardas can also be ordered online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City