Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,335 times

Advertisements

Hi all. A friend of mine and I are heading to KC MO this weekend for the George Strait concert. Are there any good BBQ restaurants near the Westin Crown Plaza? We figured since we were headed to KC BBQ should be in the schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Go to Jack Stack BBQ in the Freighthouse Building in the Crossroads District which is about a five minute walk from the Westin Hotel.

From the Westin, walk through the "Link" (pedestrian walkway) to Union Station and follow the Link signs through Union Station till you reach the pedestrian bridge behind Union Station that crosses over the RR tracks and takes you right to the Freighthouse.

You can also just walk across the tracks via Main Street if you want to walk outside. There is a staircase on the north side of the tracks that will take you from the Main Street Viaduct down to the Freighthouse Building.

Jack Stack is the best BBQ in KC IMO.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM

In this photo, you can see the Westin Hotel in the upper right corner and Jack Stack BBQ in the long industrial looking building in the lower left corner. Notice the pedestrian link connecting the Westin to Union Station and the Pedestrian Bridge (old RR bridge) connecting Union Station to the Freighthouse District. The bigger bridge in the center of the photo is Main Street, you can also walk across that. It's a very safe area, even at night.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
While I don't necessarily feel that Jack Stack is the quintessential KC barbecue, it's hands down the closest to Crown Center, and a nice place to go for a meal. I put the sides ahead of the 'cue there, though.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Gates is a five dollar cab ride (or 1.50 MAX bus ride) away at Linwood and Main for the more casual and possibly "quintessential" bbq. Gates is probably my favorite KC BBQ, but Jack Stack is very close to Crown Center and is a sit down type place more than Gates which is more fast casual.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Definitely. I'm an Arthur Bryant's girl, so I'd probably just go the 2 miles there (and hit the 18th and Vine museums too, if I were visiting), but I can totally see the convenience factor of going to the one that's right there and getting the more sit-down restaurant experience.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM

404 posts, read 595,184 times
1. Arthur Bryants
2. Gates
3. Jack Stack

IMO

Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Danny Edwards BBQ isn't terribly far from Crown Center either, although I agree Jack Stack is better.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 43,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Gates is a five dollar cab ride (or 1.50 MAX bus ride) away at Linwood and Main for the more casual and possibly "quintessential" bbq. Gates is probably my favorite KC BBQ, but Jack Stack is very close to Crown Center and is a sit down type place more than Gates which is more fast casual.
We went to the Gates at Linwood and Main when we were in KC a couple weeks ago for our house-hunting trip.

I'll be looking up the others mentioned here when we arrive to close on the house May 25.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,335 times
Thumbs up Thanks...jack stack was perfect.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After considering all of our options and the time we had before the concert, we walked to Jack Stacks via the link.
It was a GREAT dinner...started with smoked salmon starter and then shared the BBQ combo....chicken, pork, brisket, coleslaw and beans.

The concert, by the way, was excellent. LeeAnn Womack, Reba, and George Strait. My hearing is a bit dulled from the screaming, but the concert overall
was wonderful. Strange setup with the musicians backs to the audience, but overall, great music, wonderful BBQ.....I'll be back to KC MO soon!

Thanks again from a Springfield/Branson CD'r.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City