Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 06:12 PM

320 posts, read 309,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Here is a small clue that may help those of you with keen powers of observance and deducing skills equal to Sherlock Holmes.

I fergit, what are we doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:31 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Time for trivia! This should be easy, as I'm sure most of you are old enough to remember this place. Who or what is "We"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
I fergit, what are we doing?

That! Figure out who the "We" is. I'll give you 'til morning.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:22 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
My Beloved and I took advantage of a very beautiful day to take a romantic stroll through Woodlawn Cemetery. This is the monument mentioned some time ago...

You didn't happen to see a gravesite with a surname very near and dear to my heart, did you?

Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
It was this week in 1966 that Independence/Palmer Junior High School vacated the Memorial Building cafeteria and gym. There is an indirect reference to this in the Examiner today. I wish that more would have been explained about the move.

With the new gym, the school had gym classes for the general population. There were no gym classes offered at Independence Junior High during the fifties but the Cubs trained and played in the Memorial Building. The building was also the home of the Bears, but they trained in the gym at the old William Chrisman.

At the junior high, for physical activity of the general school population, there were wall to wall volleyball nets from Maple to Truman just to the west of the building. All Home Rooms competed with each other. If it were raining, or it was winter, everyone stayed indoors. I cant remember basket ball hoops in that area but there could have been.

Also, during the fifties, the "Statue of Liberty" permanently resided on the Maple/Pleasant corner of the junior high campus. That statue is now outside the genealogical library on Kiger Road.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:16 AM

In the early days, drummers were always getting off at the four train depots in Independence. What were these drummers?

Before it found a home on west Kansas Street, the first Jackson County courthouse was destined for a different town and a different place. Where was that place?

Old 02-20-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
You didn't happen to see a gravesite with a surname very near and dear to my heart, did you?
No, I don't recall seeing any Quantrills. We may have missed it, as we didn't stroll every lane.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
In the early days, drummers were always getting off at the four train depots in Independence. What were these drummers?
I think I read somewhere that they used snake oil to keep their drum heads supple.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
No, I don't recall seeing any Quantrills. We may have missed it, as we didn't stroll every lane.
What event led to Quantrill being commissioned as a captain in the Confederate Army?

Old 02-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
What event led to Quantrill being commissioned as a captain in the Confederate Army?
He was a lieutenant at the time the previous Captain was killed!

Old 02-20-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Before it found a home on west Kansas Street, the first Jackson County courthouse was destined for a different town and a different place. Where was that place?
My memory is a bit fuzzy on this one. It was either the Universal back lot in Hollywood or Missouri Town at Lake Jacomo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City