Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 04:16 PM

320 posts, read 309,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I dont remember the metal mills but a web site says they were used in the thirties. I also saw a Missouri one mill that was green.

I recall my mother used a ladies bill fold that had a change pocket with a snap to open or close. She would open up that change pocket to pay for something and she always had a red or green mill piece mixed in with the change.

I dont have a clue when they stopped using mills. I am also wondering if people back then used mills to pay for the "odd" 21.9 per gallon cost of gasoline.
More on tax mills.

How and why were they used?
Merchants had to pay sales tax to the state on the total amount of sales made by the merchant during each day's sales. You can imagine that if the sales tax rate is 3% and a child buys a 10c piece of candy there is no way to collect the three-tenths of one cent. If you rounded down that meant that the merchant could not collect anything for the tax. If you rounded up the state was gaining 7 tenths of a cent on every 10 cent sale. You can see that if the merchant sold 100 pieces of candy he was loosing 30 cents a day in tax revenues to the state, so the token was born. This allowed the merchant to take 11 cents for the first piece of candy and give change back in mills. The next time you wanted to buy a 10c candy you could present the merchant with the 10c and a token and complete the transaction. This allowed the merchant to collect the sales tax on each transaction.
A mill is 1/1000th of a dollar or a tenth of a cent. As you can imagine, people did not like having to carry a second set of coins, and to further complicate matters, different states issued different tax tokens. 1 and 5 mills are the most common denominations, but other denominations include: 1/5 cent, 1 1/2 mills, and "Tax on 10c or less."
There are over 500 different sales tax tokens that can be collected from 13 commonly issued states. I include Ohio stamps because most of the collectors do to. There is also anti-sales tax token memorabilia from many other states to collect. Most tokens are inexpensive and fairly easy to come by. All in all over a billion sales tax tokens are estimated to have been produced. Most coin dealers have no idea what to charge for these tokens, Many tax tokens are quite common, and can often be found in coin dealer "junk boxes" for as little as 10 cents. Others tokens are known to be much scarcer, however they too sometimes show up in "junk boxes" from time to time. A few, such as the New Mexico 5 mill black fiber are truly rare, and worth up to $100. There are also much sought after pattern tokens made by the manufacturers to win the contracts for minting from the states that issued them.

There are state sponsored and issued tokens as well as "Provisional Issues" from specific towns and specific states, usually Illinois and Washington. These are much scarcer than the state issues, but prices are still fairly low, as there are a limited number of dedicated collectors. In addition to tokens many towns printed sales tax "tickets" or scrip (sometimes spelled script) printed on paper or cardboard stock, usually on vibrant colors or security patterns. As you can imagine the survivability of 70 year old cardboard and paper is not very high. Best of all there are only two grades for sales tax tokens, circulated and uncirculated. This allows almost anyone with a modest education in coin collecting and any budget to collect sales tax tokens without loosing their wallet or their interest.

State issued sales tax tokens vary widely. Copper, brass, paper, cardboard, fiber, aluminum, zinc, plastic and even wood were used. Many were colored. The language ranged from Arizona's practical: "to make change for correct sales tax," to blunt in Louisiana: "Public Welfare Tax Token" and Oklahoma: "For Old Age Assistance." Perhaps my favorite is Missouri's second generation Milk-Cap token. "helping to pay for old age pensions, support of public schools, care of poor insane and tebercular patients in state hospitals and relief of needy unemployed in the state of Missouri."

There was a national sales tax proposed in 1921 that was taken to such a point that many millions of fiber tokens where printed and when the legislation was shelved they where all destroyed. Or so it was thought, there have been rumors of 4 to 6 pieces in existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
New Independence, Missouri.

The town of New Independence on the south bank of the Missouri about six miles from the county seat in Blue Township, was laid out by R.S. Mize, June 9, 1855. This town was never built up.

From a history of Jackson County

Old 05-23-2014, 04:26 PM

Independence, 1877
Note that Noland was then called Harmony

Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM

First three townships comprising all of Jackson County, which at the time included what is now Bates and Cass counties:

Fort Osage--First township in Jackson County
Blue Township
Kaw Township

Current Jackson County Townships:
Fort Osage
Blue
Kaw
Prairie
Sni-a-Bar
Van Buren
Washington
Westport

Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Glad to see some activity once more, I was beginning to think the article on tax mills had driven everyone away.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:44 AM

1881:

Population

Blue Springs, 300
(53,014 in 2012)

Oak Grove, 280
(7,853)

Grain Valley, 150
(13,030)

Pink Hill, 50

Pink Hill's sin was that it was located too far (3 miles) from a railroad.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Independence, 1877
Note that Noland was then called Harmony
Does that particular map expand to show any other of these "forgotten" streets?

Cherry
Chicago
Commercial
Commonwealth
Elmwood
First Cross
Hall
Hannibal
Kansas City
Railroad
Summit
Third Cross
Tower
Water

Bodge
Brunswick
Chrisman
Clinton
Columbus
Duke
Estill
Hannibal
Hickman
Mabelle
Maud
Myrtle
Neill
Owens
Ruffner
Sawyer
Stannage
Stevens
Timme
Torpey
Walter

Christian
Clark
Fisher
Fowler
Gilmer
Harmory
Hutchinson
Johnson
Raymoud
Turney

Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 AM

908 posts, read 724,964 times
Default Independence Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Cherry
Chicago
Commercial
Commonwealth
Elmwood
First Cross
Hall
Hannibal
Kansas City
Railroad
Summit
Third Cross
Tower
Water

Bodge
Brunswick
Chrisman
Clinton
Columbus
Duke
Estill
Hannibal
Hickman
Mabelle
Maud
Myrtle
Neill
Owens
Ruffner
Sawyer
Stannage
Stevens
Timme
Torpey
Walter

Christian
Clark
Fisher
Fowler
Gilmer
Harmory
Hutchinson
Johnson
Raymoud
Turney
Second Cross and Third Cross are shown on the map. I never knew that Maple was once Rock St.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 PM

According to the Examiner and Star, the Twin Drive In has been saved from extinction because of cinema going digital, by being taken over by an indoor movie chain. Ironic isn't it.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Cherry
Chicago
Commercial
Commonwealth
Elmwood
First Cross
Hall
Hannibal
Kansas City
Railroad
Summit
Third Cross
Tower
Water

Bodge
Brunswick
Chrisman
Clinton
Columbus
Duke
Estill
Hannibal
Hickman
Mabelle
Maud
Myrtle
Neill
Owens
Ruffner
Sawyer
Stannage
Stevens
Timme
Torpey
Walter

Christian
Clark
Fisher
Fowler
Gilmer
Harmory
Hutchinson
Johnson
Raymoud
Turney

Sorry, I cannot find that map again. Even looked through the "history" of all my surfing but there are so many entries, I could not recognize it. It will probably pop up again sometime, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City