Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times

Advertisements

Two interesting articles about the population shift taking place and why urban areas will never simply die out and go away as some seem to want:

The End of White Flight - WSJ.com

Suburbs lose young whites to cities - U.S. news - Census 2010 - msnbc.com

Perhaps the different ethnicities are just trading places, but this shows that not everyone is packing it up for the suburbs anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Just before the real estate market really fell hard and when gas went to $4/gal we noticed a trend of people who had moved out to the burbs moving back to be closer to work. Frankly, I think it is one of the trends that has helped the loft market keep downtown KCMO alive.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just before the real estate market really fell hard and when gas went to $4/gal we noticed a trend of people who had moved out to the burbs moving back to be closer to work. Frankly, I think it is one of the trends that has helped the loft market keep downtown KCMO alive.
But isn't the parallel development that the work moved to the suburbs as well? Then again I think a trend is developing that urban and suburban areas start resembling each other more.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
We're a young couple, and we did both. When we first relocated, we chose to live in KCMO proper, and enjoyed that. But when we bought, we didn't have any real motivation to buy somewhere where the public schools are such a mess, and for the vintage housing stock we were looking for (arts and crafts bungalows), we found better prices in Lee's Summit than in, say, Waldo/Brookside and other neighborhoods with an abundance of this type of home, with the bonus of having reputable public schools. Another factor for us is that neither of our jobs is in the core (although the job I had when I first moved here was right downtown)...I work near the triangle, and SO's job is in JoCo. My commute to my work from LS is basically identical in length to what it was when we rented in Waldo, and I'm closer to work in south KC than I was when we lived on the Plaza. SO works Olathe, so it's far from pretty much everywhere on the MO side, and we didn't have any real interest in living in Kansas.

What's been interesting to me is that where we are in LS (near the historic downtown), we have a much more foot traffic-heavy culture than we experienced when we lived in the city proper, in Waldo. We used to walk in Waldo, both on the Trolley Track Trail, and to various restaurants, shops, bars, etc., but we were pretty much the only ones ever doing that (except during events like the Crawldo). This is my first foray ever into suburbia, and I definitely came in with my preconceived notions about suburbs/suburban dwellers, but Downtown LS can actually be more bustling than various urban neighborhoods, to my surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City