Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 PM

316 posts, read 596,602 times

Advertisements

I have witnessed on various occasions and on various forms and chat rooms how many people decide to take advantage of the fact that they belong to any specific religion. and suddenly because of their heritage established themselves as a supreme authority.

I will not proclaim myself to be an authority, nor do I proposed to establish myself as one: however, I would like to clarify an issue that I see is pertinent even here in this forum:

The religion known as Judaism has many various sects. Within these sects they are yet many sub groups- authentic in their own right and respected one amongst another. I would very much like to clarify this, so that those who might ask Jewish related questions, should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. And before digesting and comprehending any pertinent facts should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. I do suggest is well that you should also ask from which specific authority.

The three major components of Judaism are as follows:
Orthodox.
Conservative.
Reform.
Parallel to Orthodox are the Sefardim.

Orthodox interpret the laws and heritage from the five books of Moses as well as the Talmudic law. In what is known as Shulchan Aruch, or the book of code of Jewish law. Sefardim rely upon the teachings and code of Maimonides a 10th century Orthodox sage.

Conservative and Reform Judaism do not adhere to the Talmudic law and deviate in their heritage from the Shulchan Aruch.

There is limited diplomacy between the Orthodox and the conservative or reform movements.

Orthodox Jewry to not seek to interact or intermingle with the conservative or reform movement.

While Orthodox Jewry respect all humanity, they do not respect the conservative reform movements or their members as authentic Jews loyal to the Jewish code of law.

Orthodox Jewry will not marry a member of the conservative or a member of the Reform movement.

Within the realm of Orthodox Jewry, there are various segments. There is the ultra orthodox, Hasidic, Orthodox, modern Orthodox, and irreligious. These groups do mingle and do necessarily marry one another.

While there are many other various degrees, and much more information regarding the various segments and sects of Orthodox Jewry. The general public should be made aware that there is insurmountable differences between the Orthodox and the Reform or Conservative movements.

Please be aware and note that if you do seek authentic Jewish information, please seek it from an authentic source and be aware, is actually speaking to someone who is capable and knowledgeable in the authentic way of Orthodox Jewry. You might be misled inadvertently by any information you receive. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,696,667 times
Thank you, sir. That explains a lot.
You know, a lot of folks have criticized those of the Jewish faith for following certain specifications such as kosher foods, separation of milk and meat, and so forth. Yet today, as we see the damage that is done by improperly grown, handled, or processed foods, and the discussions of diseases that are passed via even food handling at restaurants, one wonders if perhaps the Mosaic laws were right all along...

I have often wondered why those of the Jewish faith did not intermingle with other folk of other faiths. They do not 'hang out' with others at their workplaces, they do not go to parties or associate with others outside of their own religion. Specifically, why? Why would, say, someone who was Jewish not go out to dinner with 'the gang' from the office, or to go to each others' houses to watch sports, or to the bar to socialize and watch the games on TV?

Also, I am hesitant to call those of your beliefs - "Jews". What do they prefer to be called? Hasidics? Hebrews? I am not trying to offend, honestly; I am just not sure and I don't like to insult people with my ineptness and ignorance. Being raised on the Holocaust, and hearing the word "Jew" used as an epithet even in this day, is it acceptable or an insult?

Thank you for your replies.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
I am extremely interested in the Jewish faith. Having said that, I have no idea what the original post means.

Are you taking questions, or warning us against where we seek answers? I have never had such a hard time finding answers like I have in finding them in this religion. I don't even understand the intent of the OP.

Maybe it's me.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I am extremely interested in the Jewish faith. Having said that, I have no idea what the original post means.

Are you taking questions, or warning us against where we seek answers? I have never had such a hard time finding answers like I have in finding them in this religion. I don't even understand the intent of the OP.

Maybe it's me.
His posting was to challenge the "ask a jew" thread. He stated that you should ask a Orthodox Jew to get the real answers about judaism.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 PM

While i can answer various questions regarding the Jewish religion, I honestly believe that an open forum, is not the proper place.

In line with what I have mentioned previously, I'd suggest the following.

There are a few authentic Jewish Orthodox online sites in which you can probably garner authentic Rabbinic reply, answers, comments, so on so forth.

A better way to find out information, is to contact an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi in person. I do not know if you would be comfortable with such a suugestion, hence I write it second, but that would be the best way to go.

Below are two links of Orthodox Institutions which have the capacity of properly answering all questions:

Contact Us

Contact Information

Please note; the reason I so strongly advocate for the orthodox approach is because, they alone stand for the authentic beliefs and heritage as it standed over the last 2,000 years, without changing, amending, or disregarding any part of the religion or costoms... this is not the case regarding any other sect.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
I can't see why it would be any more necessary to ask these questions of a rabbi than it would be to ask all the Christian questions here of a priest or minister.

I don't know that people are staking their lives on the answers; rather, I'm pretty sure they're looking for the Jewish POV.

Granted the end of the post veered off into an argument of the Torah (I think...I just skimmed), but many Christian posts here veer off into arguments of various scripture as well.

It's a internet forum. It's not life or death. Try not to take it so seriously. And for the record...I thought the Ask a Jew thread was awesome.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I can't see why it would be any more necessary to ask these questions of a rabbi than it would be to ask all the Christian questions here of a priest or minister.

I don't know that people are staking their lives on the answers; rather, I'm pretty sure they're looking for the Jewish POV.

Granted the end of the post veered off into an argument of the Torah (I think...I just skimmed), but many Christian posts here veer off into arguments of various scripture as well.

It's a internet forum. It's not life or death. Try not to take it so seriously. And for the record...I thought the Ask a Jew thread was awesome.
That is fine and dandy - and I respect your point of view.

If someone out there would like true authentic Jewish answers, they should seek them from informative sources, not "posts".

Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,810,030 times
Rabbi joe
Im of sephardic descent once upon a time.
I was watching a documentary the other day and it was saying that the days of pre-holocost is once again risen in europe, citing the many politic cartoons and street confrontations. That history is once again being played out. Im very concerned for the Jews in europe and I do pray for Israel.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,134,199 times
Fundamentally, I agree with my learned poster, JerZ. This is an internet forum not rabbinical school.

So few, if any, members of any religion can hold a monopoly on truth and even among the most erudite, we'll see personal preferences in interpretation and prejudiced POVs.

Asked the same question from within a particular population, religious or secular, we'll have as many different responses as we have responders.

Hubris does not suit learning but stifles it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Old 03-16-2008, 06:44 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
That is fine and dandy - and I respect your point of view.

If someone out there would like true authentic Jewish answers, they should seek them from informative sources, not "posts".
I agree, I think every christian should take the time to see the Jewish point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism