Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE
If someone out there would like true authentic Jewish answers, they should seek them from informative sources, not "posts".
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I agree, I think every christian should take the time to see the Jewish point of view.
That's fine; then does this mean that anyone on here who is Jewish is calling a church and arranging a meeting with a priest or minister to find out Christian answers, rather than posting here?

Just curious.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
And likewise every Jewish person should see the Christian POV.

However, I don't believe this is about points of view, but rather a forum in which we share thoughts, ideas, concete and abstract.

The single difference I see in this particular forum is that fewer than a handful of the posters have any education in the Jewish religion, and the same number are probably Jewish--and not as observant as an Orthodox Jewish person would like to have speak on behalf of the religion. Nonetheless, the degree to which they may or may not be religious, does not detract from their POV.

Quote:
I agree, I think every christian should take the time to see the Jewish point of view.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And likewise every Jewish person should see the Christian POV.

However, I don't believe this is about points of view, but rather a forum in which we share thoughts, ideas, concete and abstract.

The single difference I see in this particular forum is that fewer than a handful of the posters have any education in the Jewish religion, and the same number are probably Jewish--and not as observant as an Orthodox Jewish person would like to have speak on behalf of the religion. Nonetheless, the degree to which they may or may not be religious, does not detract from their POV.
You are correct. I do not think peoples point of view should be held against entire group. On this forum I look at it as we were making conversation and expressing ideas. I don not believe any one in this forum has claimed to be biblical scholar.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,727 times
Default mishnah and book of genesis 9:6

I have a question regarding the topic of abortion. I read this, online, and I need someone who can provide some insight.

In Genesis 9:6 Moses wrote part of the Holy Law. It says in that verse that "He who sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood also be shed" (Gen. 9:6). But what it actually says in Hebrew is, "He who sheds the blood of a man-within-a-man shall also have his blood shed". This is how the House of Justice, the Beth-Din, interpreted that verse:

We infer the death penalty for killing the embryo from the text, 'He who sheds the blood of a man within a man, his blood shall be shed'; what is 'a man within a man'? An embryo." (Mishnah, Sanhedrin 57b)

The punishment for killing a fetus was death. However, the House of Justice made one exception to this rule! When a woman was trying to give birth (not trying to kill her child but birth it), but the child become stuck in the birth canal, and will thus kill the woman, the House declared that the child can be dismembered and removed; because the life (not "life-style" or "health" but LIFE) of the woman took presidence over the life of the child.

The House of Justice decided:
If a woman was in hard travail the child must be cut up while iit is in the womb and brought out member by member, since the life of the mother has priority over the life of the child; but if the greater part of it was already born it may not be touched, since the claim of one life cannot override the claim of another life." (Mishnah, Ohaloth 7:6)

All of that is to say that abortion is considered murder unless the life of the mother is in danger from being pregnant and, then, abortion is considered okay.

Okay, now, after reading the above, Exodus 21:22 refers to two guys struggling or fighting whereby a pregnant woman is struck or is otherwise caused to have a miscarriage (the baby dies ?) or prematural birth (the baby is born with no damage ?) and the person who caused this is only fined a monetary amount for damages? How is what is in Exodus 21:22 different from Genesis 9:6 and Mishnah, Sanhedrin 57b?

Can someone please explain this? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
I have witnessed on various occasions and on various forms and chat rooms how many people decide to take advantage of the fact that they belong to any specific religion. and suddenly because of their heritage established themselves as a supreme authority.

I will not proclaim myself to be an authority, nor do I proposed to establish myself as one: however, I would like to clarify an issue that I see is pertinent even here in this forum:

The religion known as Judaism has many various sects. Within these sects they are yet many sub groups- authentic in their own right and respected one amongst another. I would very much like to clarify this, so that those who might ask Jewish related questions, should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. And before digesting and comprehending any pertinent facts should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. I do suggest is well that you should also ask from which specific authority.

The three major components of Judaism are as follows:
Orthodox.
Conservative.
Reform.
Parallel to Orthodox are the Sefardim.

Orthodox interpret the laws and heritage from the five books of Moses as well as the Talmudic law. In what is known as Shulchan Aruch, or the book of code of Jewish law. Sefardim rely upon the teachings and code of Maimonides a 10th century Orthodox sage.

Conservative and Reform Judaism do not adhere to the Talmudic law and deviate in their heritage from the Shulchan Aruch.

There is limited diplomacy between the Orthodox and the conservative or reform movements.

Orthodox Jewry to not seek to interact or intermingle with the conservative or reform movement.

While Orthodox Jewry respect all humanity, they do not respect the conservative reform movements or their members as authentic Jews loyal to the Jewish code of law.

Orthodox Jewry will not marry a member of the conservative or a member of the Reform movement.

Within the realm of Orthodox Jewry, there are various segments. There is the ultra orthodox, Hasidic, Orthodox, modern Orthodox, and irreligious. These groups do mingle and do necessarily marry one another.

While there are many other various degrees, and much more information regarding the various segments and sects of Orthodox Jewry. The general public should be made aware that there is insurmountable differences between the Orthodox and the Reform or Conservative movements.

Please be aware and note that if you do seek authentic Jewish information, please seek it from an authentic source and be aware, is actually speaking to someone who is capable and knowledgeable in the authentic way of Orthodox Jewry. You might be misled inadvertently by any information you receive. Thank you.
Thank you Teacher of the Torah!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM

48,140 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
His posting was to challenge the "ask a jew" thread. He stated that you should ask a Orthodox Jew to get the real answers about judaism.
But if you have an interest and a question about reform judaism....I wouldnt ask an Orthodox Jew or at least not the OP.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,780,296 times
With all due respect Rabbi Joe, there are some inaccuracies in your post; I only point them out because there are many who do not have any knowledge of Judaism and may mis-interpret what you wrote (so what I'm saying is that you are not totally wrong...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
The religion known as Judaism has many various sects. Within these sects they are yet many sub groups- authentic in their own right and respected one amongst another. I would very much like to clarify this, so that those who might ask Jewish related questions, should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. And before digesting and comprehending any pertinent facts should be made aware of whom they are receiving their information. I do suggest is well that you should also ask from which specific authority.

The three major components of Judaism are as follows:
Orthodox.
Conservative.
Reform.
Parallel to Orthodox are the Sefardim.

Orthodox interpret the laws and heritage from the five books of Moses as well as the Talmudic law. In what is known as Shulchan Aruch, or the book of code of Jewish law. Sefardim rely upon the teachings and code of Maimonides a 10th century Orthodox sage.
When you say "Sefardim" I assume you are talking about the Jews of Sephardic decent. This is more of a cultural strain...like Ashkenazi or even Mizrachi. Thousands of years ago when these Jewish communities developed their customs...they were pretty distinct. Today, there are still two different "nuachs" ... styles of the prayer service to put it simply...which are Ashkenaz and Sefard (there are others as well for chassidic congregations). Ashkenazim were from the area around Germany, Poland, etc. Sefardim Spain ("Sefard" is Hebrew for Spain in fact) and southern Europe. And Mizrachim from the Middle East and Turkey.

But Sefardim does not necessarily equate with Orthodox. There are many "Sephardim" that are not Orthodox. It was the Ashkenazi strain of Jews who fractioned off into different "sects" formally. Just because the Sephardim failed to...this does not equate all of them with being Orthodox. For example, the West Indies has many Jewish congregations with Sephardic roots...but they are not Orthodox.

Other than the "sub-groups"....there is only one type of Orthodox.

Quote:
Conservative and Reform Judaism do not adhere to the Talmudic law and deviate in their heritage from the Shulchan Aruch.
It is more than just the Shulchan Aruch (which translates literally as "Set Table" as to demonstrate how Jewish Law should be executed)...it is the Torah she'baal peh Oral Torah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that is disregarded. It is often referred to as "Rabbinic Judaism" by the non-Orthodox Jews and seen as putting in "extra rules" on top of what was originally given in the Torah. The issue here is that the written Torah (what you read in what Christians call "the Old Testament") is hard to abide by without the details given via the Oral Law (also called the "Oral Tradition") so what happens is that even the written Torah is not (cannot?) be adhered to. Or like the Karaites (who also did not believe in the Oral Tradition) you just gradually fade away.

I personally think it's more accurate to say, (im my humble opinion) is that Orthodox Jews see the Torah (Jewish Law) as binding...while non-Orthodox Jews do not. That means that Orthodox Jews firmly believe that they have a divine responsibility to live as the Torah tells them to live...in order to maintain their special covenant with God. Non-Orthodox Jews do not believe this and take core beliefs and practices from Judaism and incorporate it as they see applicable into their lives.

Quote:
There is limited diplomacy between the Orthodox and the conservative or reform movements.
The only "diplomacy" that is really lacking between the movements are between the Rabbis. That is because Orthodox Rabbis do not engage in debates or justifications over Judaism as they interpret it with other forms of belief (there are exceptions to this...historically...but nowadays, this is not done). The core of this is not snobbery however; it is because Orthodox Rabbis are in place to teach the Torah...not debate or prove it. Even to other non-Orthodox Jews...they do not "proselytize". There is a book called "One People - Two Worlds" by Rabbi Hirsch (Reform) and Y. Reinman (who is Orthodox...not a Rabbi, but a Talmudic Scholar) which explores the dynamic very well.

http://www.amazon.com/One-People-Two.../dp/0805241914

Now socially...there can be a strained relationship. But that's a whole different thing really....

Quote:
Orthodox Jewry to not seek to interact or intermingle with the conservative or reform movement.
This is also not entirely correct; especially in areas where there may be a small to medium sized Jewish community. Even in the larger Jewish communities...I know in South Florida, the JCC...which is largely run by non-Orthodox Jews, invite Orthodox Jews to teach adult education classes and offer single-sex swimming in the pool for Orthodox Jews. You also have non-Orthodox Jews who work as employees for Orthodox Jewish institutions and vice-versa. It boils down to respect...really. The only ones who absolutely will not mingle or interact are those who have a hatchet to bury really. Either that or they are super sensitive to any influence outside of what they commonly know (as is the case with a few Chassidic groups)

Quote:
While Orthodox Jewry respect all humanity, they do not respect the conservative reform movements or their members as authentic Jews loyal to the Jewish code of law.
Orthodox Jews certainly see non-Orthodox Jews as "authentic"...as long as they were born of a Jewish mother (who was also born of a Jewish mother...etc.). If you've ever been to Israel...at the Western Wall...you will no doubt catch a group of Orthodox Jews calling for a minyan (the 10 men are needed in order to conduct a public prayer service) and they do not care if you are Orthodox or not...as long as you are Jewish.

For some reason "loyal to the Jewish code of law" sounds very strict. In fact, most Orthodox Jews don't even own the term "Orthodox"...at least among each other, and rather prefer "Shomer Shabbos" and/or "Shomer Mitzvot" (which translate as keepers of the Sabbath and keepers of Jewish ritual). Keeping the Sabbath completely though is one of the most difficult and distinctive things in leading a Jewish life...so it's assumed that you adhere to all else that entails with being an Orthodox Jew.

Orthodox Jews regard the Torah and halacha (Jewish law) as more than just "do's and don't". They see it as part of God's divine plan for them...more like a road map. Hence the terms "on/off the derech" (derech translates as "way" or "path").

Quote:
Orthodox Jewry will not marry a member of the conservative or a member of the Reform movement.
True...but this is not because they have an issue with their Jewishness. Living as an Orthodox Jew is very involved and impacts almost every action you make (waking up, eating, the items you have in your house, your wardrobe, your sexual habits, everything) so you could not really build a home with someone else who was not Orthodox...and have both of you content. There is a movement in Orthodox Judaism...called the Baal Teshuva movement (Translates as "Masters of Return") of non=Orthodox Jews who became Orthodox Jews at some point.

Quote:
Within the realm of Orthodox Jewry, there are various segments. There is the ultra orthodox, Hasidic, Orthodox, modern Orthodox, and irreligious. These groups do mingle and do necessarily marry one another.
Maybe...but not usually. In Orthodox Jewry, we call these differences "haskafah" (approach), "minhag" (customs) and "mesorah" (tradition). All carry significant weight in exactly how you carry out your life as an Orthodox Jew. Simply put, you cannot be a Modern Orthodox woman married to a Chassidic man (although you can have that background). You will need to live in one community or the other (usually the wife takes her husbands) and adjust to their ways. This may sound easy...but it is not. Take the Modern Orthodox/Chassidic example I gave. Women in the Chassidic community will often times cut their hair very short and wear wigs and a hat as well as non-flesh colored tights. Some Modern Orthodox women may be fine with this....but many (most?) will not. In the Modern Orthodox community, most of the men are expected to be college educated and travel to Israel to for religious learning or at least send their children there. That may be tough if you grew up speaking Yiddish and in a community that did not recognize the state of Israel (as is the case in some Chassidic communities). And this is just the surface of the issue.

Because Judaism is such an integral aspect of the daily life of an Orthodox Jew, this differences do in fact matter...especially when looking for a spouse. Also, I'm not quite sure if I understand what an "irreligious" Orthodox Jew is...

Quote:
While there are many other various degrees, and much more information regarding the various segments and sects of Orthodox Jewry. The general public should be made aware that there is insurmountable differences between the Orthodox and the Reform or Conservative movements.
While there are differences...I do not know if I would apply the word "insurmountable". Maybe from a theoretical point of view...of course. If this were not true, than we would not have different movements. However many Jews do see each other as brethren...no matter what the label is. I have seen examples in Israel, Florida and New York of Jews from across the spectrum from Chassidic to completely secular respecting each other. This is probably the most difficult thing to explain to non-Jews...the "Am Yisrael"..."Nation of Israel" concept. Even if a Jew is an atheist...they do not cease being a Jew (well that is the Orthodox take anyway) ever. Even if they formally convert to another religion...they are still regarded as a Jew. That surely makes up for these "insurmountable" differences...in my own opinion.

Quote:
Please be aware and note that if you do seek authentic Jewish information, please seek it from an authentic source and be aware, is actually speaking to someone who is capable and knowledgeable in the authentic way of Orthodox Jewry. You might be misled inadvertently by any information you receive. Thank you.
I think this largely depends on the type of information you are seeking. If you want Jewish history...you do not have to go to an Orthodox source. Also, Orthodox Judaism does not always = correct. Most Orthodox Jews understand that they try to understand and live the Torah "the best they can". For example, some Orthodox Jewish rabbis will teach a non-Jew who is dating a Jew for conversion....while others will not. Some Orthodox Jewish rabbis encourage the women in their congregation to wear wigs...while others do not like the practice and would rather they wear scarves. The underlying halacha on these issues is clear....but exactly how the community interprets or practices is another.

Don't get me wrong, I am the biggest proponent of learning from Orthodox rabbis if they are available. All I'm saying is that it is not a real good idea to believe that just because a person is _________ , that what they say goes. Another thing that Jews are experts at....is getting a second opinion!

Overall, a very helpful and important post Rabbi Joe!

Last edited by MissShona; 07-29-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 PM

316 posts, read 596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
With all due respect Rabbi Joe, there are some inaccuracies in your post; I only point them out because there are many who do not have any knowledge of Judaism and may mis-interpret what you wrote (so what I'm saying is that you are not totally wrong...)

When you say "Sefardim" I assume you are talking about the Jews of Sephardic decent. This is more of a cultural strain...like Ashkenazi or even Mizrachi. Thousands of years ago when these Jewish communities developed their customs...they were pretty distinct. Today, there are still two different "nuachs" ... styles of the prayer service to put it simply...which are Ashkenaz and Sefard (there are others as well for chassidic congregations). Ashkenazim were from the area around Germany, Poland, etc. Sefardim Spain ("Sefard" is Hebrew for Spain in fact) and southern Europe. And Mizrachim from the Middle East and Turkey.

But Sefardim does not necessarily equate with Orthodox. There are many "Sephardim" that are not Orthodox. It was the Ashkenazi strain of Jews who fractioned off into different "sects" formally. Just because the Sephardim failed to...this does not equate all of them with being Orthodox. For example, the West Indies has many Jewish congregations with Sephardic roots...but they are not Orthodox.

Other than the "sub-groups"....there is only one type of Orthodox.

It is more than just the Shulchan Aruch (which translates literally as "Set Table" as to demonstrate how Jewish Law should be executed)...it is the Torah she'baal peh Oral Torah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that is disregarded. It is often referred to as "Rabbinic Judaism" by the non-Orthodox Jews and seen as putting in "extra rules" on top of what was originally given in the Torah. The issue here is that the written Torah (what you read in what Christians call "the Old Testament") is hard to abide by without the details given via the Oral Law (also called the "Oral Tradition") so what happens is that even the written Torah is not (cannot?) be adhered to. Or like the Karaites (who also did not believe in the Oral Tradition) you just gradually fade away.

I personally think it's more accurate to say, (im my humble opinion) is that Orthodox Jews see the Torah (Jewish Law) as binding...while non-Orthodox Jews do not. That means that Orthodox Jews firmly believe that they have a divine responsibility to live as the Torah tells them to live...in order to maintain their special covenant with God. Non-Orthodox Jews do not believe this and take core beliefs and practices from Judaism and incorporate it as they see applicable into their lives.

The only "diplomacy" that is really lacking between the movements are between the Rabbis. That is because Orthodox Rabbis do not engage in debates or justifications over Judaism as they interpret it with other forms of belief (there are exceptions to this...historically...but nowadays, this is not done). The core of this is not snobbery however; it is because Orthodox Rabbis are in place to teach the Torah...not debate or prove it. Even to other non-Orthodox Jews...they do not "proselytize". There is a book called "One People - Two Worlds" by Rabbi Hirsch (Reform) and Y. Reinman (who is Orthodox...not a Rabbi, but a Talmudic Scholar) which explores the dynamic very well.

http://www.amazon.com/One-People-Two-Worlds-Orthodox/dp/0805241914

Now socially...there can be a strained relationship. But that's a whole different thing really....

This is also not entirely correct; especially in areas where there may be a small to medium sized Jewish community. Even in the larger Jewish communities...I know in South Florida, the JCC...which is largely run by non-Orthodox Jews, invite Orthodox Jews to teach adult education classes and offer single-sex swimming in the pool for Orthodox Jews. You also have non-Orthodox Jews who work as employees for Orthodox Jewish institutions and vice-versa. It boils down to respect...really. The only ones who absolutely will not mingle or interact are those who have a hatchet to bury really. Either that or they are super sensitive to any influence outside of what they commonly know (as is the case with a few Chassidic groups)

Orthodox Jews certainly see non-Orthodox Jews as "authentic"...as long as they were born of a Jewish mother (who was also born of a Jewish mother...etc.). If you've ever been to Israel...at the Western Wall...you will no doubt catch a group of Orthodox Jews calling for a minyan (the 10 men are needed in order to conduct a public prayer service) and they do not care if you are Orthodox or not...as long as you are Jewish.

For some reason "loyal to the Jewish code of law" sounds very strict. In fact, most Orthodox Jews don't even own the term "Orthodox"...at least among each other, and rather prefer "Shomer Shabbos" and/or "Shomer Mitzvot" (which translate as keepers of the Sabbath and keepers of Jewish ritual). Keeping the Sabbath completely though is one of the most difficult and distinctive things in leading a Jewish life...so it's assumed that you adhere to all else that entails with being an Orthodox Jew.

Orthodox Jews regard the Torah and halacha (Jewish law) as more than just "do's and don't". They see it as part of God's divine plan for them...more like a road map. Hence the terms "on/off the derech" (derech translates as "way" or "path").

True...but this is not because they have an issue with their Jewishness. Living as an Orthodox Jew is very involved and impacts almost every action you make (waking up, eating, the items you have in your house, your wardrobe, your sexual habits, everything) so you could not really build a home with someone else who was not Orthodox...and have both of you content. There is a movement in Orthodox Judaism...called the Baal Teshuva movement (Translates as "Masters of Return") of non=Orthodox Jews who became Orthodox Jews at some point.

Maybe...but not usually. In Orthodox Jewry, we call these differences "haskafah" (approach), "minhag" (customs) and "mesorah" (tradition). All carry significant weight in exactly how you carry out your life as an Orthodox Jew. Simply put, you cannot be a Modern Orthodox woman married to a Chassidic man (although you can have that background). You will need to live in one community or the other (usually the wife takes her husbands) and adjust to their ways. This may sound easy...but it is not. Take the Modern Orthodox/Chassidic example I gave. Women in the Chassidic community will often times cut their hair very short and wear wigs and a hat as well as non-flesh colored tights. Some Modern Orthodox women may be fine with this....but many (most?) will not. In the Modern Orthodox community, most of the men are expected to be college educated and travel to Israel to for religious learning or at least send their children there. That may be tough if you grew up speaking Yiddish and in a community that did not recognize the state of Israel (as is the case in some Chassidic communities). And this is just the surface of the issue.

Because Judaism is such an integral aspect of the daily life of an Orthodox Jew, this differences do in fact matter...especially when looking for a spouse. Also, I'm not quite sure if I understand what an "irreligious" Orthodox Jew is...

While there are differences...I do not know if I would apply the word "insurmountable". Maybe from a theoretical point of view...of course. If this were not true, than we would not have different movements. However many Jews do see each other as brethren...no matter what the label is. I have seen examples in Israel, Florida and New York of Jews from across the spectrum from Chassidic to completely secular respecting each other. This is probably the most difficult thing to explain to non-Jews...the "Am Yisrael"..."Nation of Israel" concept. Even if a Jew is an atheist...they do not cease being a Jew (well that is the Orthodox take anyway) ever. Even if they formally convert to another religion...they are still regarded as a Jew. That surely makes up for these "insurmountable" differences...in my own opinion.

I think this largely depends on the type of information you are seeking. If you want Jewish history...you do not have to go to an Orthodox source. Also, Orthodox Judaism does not always = correct. Most Orthodox Jews understand that they try to understand and live the Torah "the best they can". For example, some Orthodox Jewish rabbis will teach a non-Jew who is dating a Jew for conversion....while others will not. Some Orthodox Jewish rabbis encourage the women in their congregation to wear wigs...while others do not like the practice and would rather they wear scarves. The underlying halacha on these issues is clear....but exactly how the community interprets or practices is another.

Don't get me wrong, I am the biggest proponent of learning from Orthodox rabbis if they are available. All I'm saying is that it is not a real good idea to believe that just because a person is _________ , that what they say goes. Another thing that Jews are experts at....is getting a second opinion!

Overall, a very helpful and important post Rabbi Joe!
Thank You. Know however that much of your input is due to lack of Orthodox Knowledge. I do not say this to hurt. I suggest that if you are in position to do so, discuss my post with a your Rabbi, and then repost! Thank you!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 PM

563 posts, read 3,743,930 times
Dear Rabbi (are you a rebbe??)
Isn't it a wonderful world when we have degrees of faith and belief within our religion so that one group can turn to another and decide that their faith is traif??

So you believe in literal obedience to the laws as they were laid down thousands of years ago. Good for you. You don't acknowledge that someone who does not follow the laws to the letter is a Jew . . . you are entitled to your opinion.

However, please do not imply that Reform or Conservative Jews do not know the religion or the laws just because they choose not to follow each and every one of them. Just because someone does not keep kosher does not automatically disqualify them from not having knowledge of the rules of Kashrut.

There are plenty of scholars of Judaism who do not choose to live orthodox lives. Orthodoxy does not a scholar make. Do you sincerely believe that each and every practicing orthodox Jew is more knowledgeable about Judaism than any scholar who may not be orthodox??

Your argument would extend then to saying that please do not ask a Protestant or methodist about christianity since only being a practicing catholic makes one qualified to answer questions about christianity.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM

316 posts, read 596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Quote:
dear rabbi (are you a rebbe??)
isn't it a wonderful world when we have degrees of faith and belief within our religion so that one group can turn to another and decide that their faith is traif??
there is but one proper way of teaching the jewish law as it has been past down through the ages.

Quote:
so you believe in literal obedience to the laws as they were laid down thousands of years ago. Good for you. You don't acknowledge that someone who does not follow the laws to the letter is a jew . . . You are entitled to your opinion.
religion is made up of laws - as is passed from father to son. If an individual chooses to disregard some and alter others- that individual is in essence creating his own system- and in this case - your case - creating his own religion.

Quote:
however, please do not imply that reform or conservative jews do not know the religion or the laws just because they choose not to follow each and every one of them.
absolutely not- in essence reform and conservative is a religion unto themselves- you can call yourself jewish - as much as a catholic calls himself jewish- it does not make you jewish.
If one follows the rules and laws of judism that makes him jewish!

Quote:
just because someone does not keep kosher does not automatically disqualify them from not having knowledge of the rules of kashrut.
true_ however they cannot be trusted in regard to them. Buhdists can know the laws as well!

Quote:
there are plenty of scholars of judaism who do not choose to live orthodox lives.
therefore?!
Quote:
orthodoxy does not a scholar make. Do you sincerely believe that each and every practicing orthodox jew is more knowledgeable about judaism than any scholar who may not be orthodox??
yes!

Quote:
your argument would extend then to saying that please do not ask a protestant or methodist about christianity since only being a practicing catholic makes one qualified to answer questions about christianity.
i dont know anything in regard to that so i cannot answer you. But if your supportive answer must be defined from this source and no other - it speaks volumes about yourself- and those on whose behalf you speak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism