Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,781,714 times

Advertisements

Majority of Israelis back Women of Wall - Israel Jewish Scene, Ynetnews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,900,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
They may be right in what they want, but the cost is too high
There is always a cost when people try to change what is wrong in a society.

When I was young and living in Florida, there were lots of places that did not allow black people, and most of us accepted it. Fortunately, many people had the courage to challenge those restrictions. Once we had our eyes opened, we agreed that black people should have equal rights with white people, and our society is much better because of the changes.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
The Women of the Wall make me proud to be Jewish - unlike the Haredi who have been nothing short of monstrous. The Kotel belongs to us all, not just the Haredi who are driving more and more Jews away from Judaism (myself included).

Old 05-17-2013, 02:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,371,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
here's a video that the media doesn't show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zXj_W9Msk
Lost in this story, of course, is that these few dozen troublemakers inspired 2,000+ frum women to come to the kosel to daven - no doubt they were davening for the well being of all the Jewish people, including the misguided women who inspired them to come in the first place.

I agree that Chasidic men who spit on the WoW have no place in our community and likely no place in Olam Haba (the world to come). That's just not how Jews should treat each other. I hope that these few WoW ladies will continue to inspire thousands of women to daven for k'lal yisroel. As usual, leave it to the amazing Beis Yaakov (women of k'lal yisroel) to help us men work out what is right and what is wrong. I think the numbers at the wall speak for themselves.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM

864 posts, read 872,649 times
Quote:
I agree that Chasidic men who spit on the WoW have no place in our community and likely no place in Olam Haba (the world to come). That's just not how Jews should treat each other.
Where, where have chassidish men spat at the women? And just how do you know that they have no place in olam habah, if they did?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,735,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The Women of the Wall make me proud to be Jewish - unlike the Haredi who have been nothing short of monstrous. The Kotel belongs to us all, not just the Haredi who are driving more and more Jews away from Judaism (myself included).
Please - don't let anything man does drive you away from Judaism.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Where, where have chassidish men spat at the women? And just how do you know that they have no place in olam habah, if they did?
It appears to have happened in beit shemesh last year. Not sure if it happened at the kosel. I was just referencing what another poster said. Spitting on a jew, as we both know, accomplishes very little.

Regardless, the point I was making is that the Women of the wall is a very small movement, made up mostly of Americans with backgrounds in conservative Shuls. Their troublesome anti Jewish actions have had an unintended consequence. They inspired thousands of amazing frum women to come to the kosel and demonstrate how to daven in a tzniusdik fashion, which is an unbelievably powerful kiddush hashem. At this rate, these bra burning women's actions just may be the spark needed to inspire k'lal Yisroel to show the proper derek eretz needed to bring moschiach.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,781,714 times
Quote:
Where, where have chassidish men spat at the women?

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2013/05/haredim-riot-at-the-kotel-678.html

Quote:

Haredim
fought with police and hurled bottles of water, garbage, hot coffee, rocks,
eggs, chairs
r and other objects at the Women of
the Wall worshippers. They also spit on the women and children
with Women of the Wall and screamed insults and slurs at them.
http://www.vosizneias.com/130677/2013/05/10/jerusalem-western-wall-rabbi-i-am-hurting-and-crying/

Quote:
The
protesters on Friday shouted and spat at the Women of the Wall activists as they
were conducting their first monthly service without restrictions after a court
ruling two weeks ago reinterpreted existing laws and allowed them to be able to
perform their own customs, such as wearing prayer shawls and tefillin,

Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM

864 posts, read 872,649 times
Quote:
It appears to have happened in beit shemesh last year. Not sure if it happened at the kosel. I was just referencing what another poster said. Spitting on a jew, as we both know, accomplishes very little.
Perpetuating unsubstantiated claims accomplishes even less, and claiming that somebody will lose their olam habah is beyond the pale.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Perpetuating unsubstantiated claims accomplishes even less, and claiming that somebody will lose their olam habah is beyond the pale.
I agree, I went too far with the olam haba statement. I take that back. But surely there are consequences in shemayim for spitting on another Yid in what amounts to a social/political statement. There's no kasha with regards to women davening with a Tallis in public. It's assur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism