Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM

88,873 posts, read 85,336,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I appreciate the fact that you and the other Jews here aren't pushy about your religion like many christians and muslims are. However, it's still fanciful and unbelievable dogma to an atheist. Different flavor of the same myths, but much more tastefully cloaked due to the non-proselytizing nature of its believers. So I guess what I'm saying is, thanks for not being aggressive about it, but still...no thanks because it's just not believable. I do, however, give a hearty thumbs up to the fact that all of your holidays seem to be surrounded in food. Lots and lots of delicious food.
A Jewish coworkers said about his holidays, "We were persecuted, we persevered, and so we EAT!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,683,566 times
You know what I find interesting, is the similarities between the Jewish culture and the Native American culture, especially the celebrations, in the Jewish culture your celebrations go hand-in-hand with a feast celebrating the survival of your culture. Much the same as Native Americans do, we celebrate our sacred days with the celebration of a feast, so I guess the one big thing we have in common is food..

Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,056,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A Jewish coworkers said about his holidays, "We were persecuted, we persevered, and so we EAT!"

Yes that is said at every holiday.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know what I find interesting, is the similarities between the Jewish culture and the Native American culture, especially the celebrations, in the Jewish culture your celebrations go hand-in-hand with a feast celebrating the survival of your culture. Much the same as Native Americans do, we celebrate our sacred days with the celebration of a feast, so I guess the one big thing we have in common is food..

Yes we do! Survival and food, and great holiday celebrations that center around food or eating food!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,228,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
I loved your beautiful post. I feel similarly to the way you do. Though I was raised Catholic, I've left the Church, and I believe I relate more to the Jewish experience than to the Christian one. I respect very deeply the Jewish belief that one must make direct reparations for each wrongdoing (Yom Kippur) and not rely upon the idea that they are already saved. I also cherish the Old Testament prophecy that a Messiah would one day come. I interpret this metaphysically, as did ancient Jewish folks. I see this as saying that G-d intends for each person to awaken to the Divine within, or the Messiah within. Not that he would come in the form of a physical being, but instead, that we could awaken to his presence within ourselves.

Peace to you,
Light

Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,246,773 times
A couple of folks asked you?

Who are they?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
A couple of folks asked you?

Who are they?

You can always ask in the forum or go read the threads. But yes a couple of folks asked me. One also posted a response to this thread.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

We say in my community: They came, tried to kill us, failed now lets EAT!

I guess we use humor to cover up the unthinkable.

A friend of mine says " When you see them come over the hill grab the Torah and run"

Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,682,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
...all of your holidays seem to be surrounded in food. Lots and lots of delicious food.
There's an old expression: you gotta eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism