Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,954,191 times

Advertisements

Please excuse my ignorance, but why is this question exclusive to Jews? Seems like a personal struggle question to me, but then again, I am not Jewish, so I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,587,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

My understanding of G-d is of a divine presence everywhere and in everything. That is connected, but not in a personal way like I see in Christianity.

Its a journey that will never end for me.
As a Jew, my journey ended when I found a personal relationship with G-d thru the Messiah. Nice to be home after my personal journey.

May it be so for you also.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,027,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
From Judaism 101, The nature of G-d.
thank you, that's a very informative site loaded with information.

here's some notes from Judaism 101 that maybe helpful to Jazzymom and others:

The Nature of G-d

Level: Intermediate
• Most areas of Jewish belief are open to significant dispute, but not the nature of the Creator
• There are several well-accepted beliefs about the nature fo the Creator

The nature of G-d is one of the few areas of abstract Jewish belief where there are a number of clear-cut ideas about which there is little dispute or disagreement. G-d Exists

The fact of G-d's existence is accepted almost without question. Proof is not needed, and is rarely offered. The Torah begins by stating "In the beginning, G-d created..." It does not tell who G-d is or how He was created. In general, Judaism views the existence of G-d as a necessary prerequisite for the existence of the universe. The existence of the universe is sufficient proof of the existence of G-d.

and there's lots more.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,055,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As a Jew, my journey ended when I found a personal relationship with G-d thru the Messiah. Nice to be home after my personal journey.

My journey will never end because I will always be learning about Judaism, what it means to be a Jew. As far as my faith journey it ended the day I became a Jew. It was also a personal journey and I too have a relationship with G-d. And it is nice to be home!

But in Judaism we always strive to learn more.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but why is this question exclusive to Jews? Seems like a personal struggle question to me, but then again, I am not Jewish, so I don't really know.
Its not exclusive to Jews. It is just a question we Jews have asked ourselves. You can put forth an opinion if you would like.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 AM

964 posts, read 2,652,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
A couple of folks asked me to put forth a question

Is there a G-d at all?

As a Jew I still struggle with G-d.
Its a journey that will never end for me.
Are these your questions or your "folks" questions? You go back and forth referencing the origin. Are responses to our follow up questions, your responses or their responses?

So, it sounds like you or they don't know for sure god exists. So, it sounds like you or they would agree it is possible god does not exist.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...od-doesnt.html

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 AM

964 posts, read 2,652,108 times
Quote:
when I found a personal relationship with G-d
Under what circumstances did this happen? What was your life like the months prior to the finding of a "personal relationship"? What precipitated the transition?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,353,133 times
I think the problem with discussions about God is that nobody really knows what the next person that mentions God is really talking about.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I think the problem with discussions about God is that nobody really knows what the next person that mentions God is really talking about.

True, But I don't expect to always understand what another believes. I don't believe I have a truth that somehow others need to have.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 PM

33,601 posts, read 37,242,647 times
Quote:

As a Jew? How long were you a Jew before you became a Christian, or are you just confused?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/16511626-post44.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism