Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,278 times

Advertisements

Yea I have not heard good things about job fairs either. These days there are to many people and not really many there hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,707,424 times
Best tip is to have a backup plan as odds are greatly stacked against you...

Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,369,633 times
Just use it as an opportunity to expand your networking circle. From what I've read, job fairs are the LEAST preferred/effective method for finding a job, compared to networking, social media sites, job boards, etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,986,148 times
Just fill them out online. Don't waste gas money, time, energy, and high hopes on a stupid job fair. And to dress up for a job fair is irrelevant. Don't go in looking like a bum. However, I certainly wouldn't wear my best suit and tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I went to a job fair where no one wanted resumes. You had to fill out their applications. I just filled them out there.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,851,311 times
I hope BL updates us with her experience today - the two I've been to were more like cattle calls for recruiting firms and trainers. It felt like an advertising gig even though they were both promoted by the local job centre

Hope hers was a better deal.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,082,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I am going to a job fair tomorrow. I have never been to one. Any suggestions? ideas? How many resumes should I bring? Thanks!
I would suggest not going since you will be in line with hundreds of people in the same situation as you. I always felt it was better to separate yourself from the other unemployed people by not being around them. You already showed me you have the CREATIVITY to not be anywhere near a job fair by your job search strategies on Craiglist.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I am going to a job fair tomorrow. I have never been to one. Any suggestions? ideas? How many resumes should I bring? Thanks!

Don't go to job fairs, they are garbage. I have been to plenty of job fairs.. and still nothing. They all say the same thing. Apply online! I am so tired of job fairs, why would they have job fairs? To tell you apply online... Job fairs are a joke. I have a Master's degree and no job still.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,772,941 times
The only job fair that did me any good was Six Flags Over Texas, and that was when I was 16 years old. Other than that, forget job fairs, for they are a waste of time.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 AM

13 posts, read 125,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I went to a job fair where no one wanted resumes. You had to fill out their applications. I just filled them out there.
yeah it completely depends on the management of the job fair. i have attended so many job fairs and also participated in the conducting job fairs for abroad. Most of the times your resume are not required because the application form it self becomes your resume. So its not like this that there is no need of resume in any job fair. You must have your resume because you may need it any time. and i would suggest you to attend the job fairs as they are very helpful in career building
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search