Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times

Advertisements

I have friends that send me job fair information but I've been reluctant to go because I tend to think they are a waste of time.

I went to a few many years ago and never heard a word from any employer there. You get dressed up only to stand in long lines and if you're lucky get 2 mins. with a recruiter where your resume is then added to the pile. I've also never known of anyone landing a job that way.

So have you heard of anyone getting a job that way? Any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Nowadays a job fair is going to be overloaded with people looking for work. Unless it is a job fair for a specific industry OR you have target companies that you are looking for my personal advice is to get the list of vendors and start contacting people there yourself to see what they are hiring for (check the website first)

If it's sponsored by a "big box" type job site....skip it. They are usually garbage.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
No! And so far No one has admitted to getting one, from a job fair, on here!

But should you go, imo, YES!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 AM

280 posts, read 1,136,166 times
My first job out of grad school I got through a job fair. But it was a fairly specialized job fair looking for people with specific skills, not a general entry level type job fair.

I would still go, even if the chances of getting hired are small. Somebody is going to get hired from the job fair, the best way to make sure that person isn't you is to not go.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
A friend of mine is in the culinary arts. She landed a solid job making market wages with good benefits at a local hotel after attending a job fair in Orlando a few months ago.

I think it depends on what type of work you do.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
I'm a marketing/communications professional and I highly doubt they have opportunities for me there. For instance, there is a federal job expo coming up but I've been to there job boards and I never see positions in areas I'm interested in or that I'm qualified for.

Dunno.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM

222 posts, read 779,653 times
Default Job Fairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I have friends that send me job fair information but I've been reluctant to go because I tend to think they are a waste of time.

I went to a few many years ago and never heard a word from any employer there. You get dressed up only to stand in long lines and if you're lucky get 2 mins. with a recruiter where your resume is then added to the pile. I've also never known of anyone landing a job that way.

So have you heard of anyone getting a job that way? Any other thoughts?
Personally, I think it is a waste of time unless it is specific to certain industry etc.
I went to one recently and many Cos told to apply online - they did not even accept resumes. What's the point?
From another side, I look at specific job fairs as networjking opportunities with other seakers - you exchange the info and later may keep in touch/exchage the info etc...
Just my 5 cents

Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM

173 posts, read 968,211 times
I go to job fairs and check out the chachki's.
You can tell a lot from the giveaways about the job fair and specifically the companies in attendance.
You can usually tell if a company has "anything" to offer.
I agree with Tuplan78, that job fairs can be good networking opportunities.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A friend of mine is in the culinary arts. She landed a solid job making market wages with good benefits at a local hotel after attending a job fair in Orlando a few months ago.

I think it depends on what type of work you do.
I agree.
A general job fair probably won't bring about much in these times but it doesn't hurt to go. I just wouldn't get my hopes up.
If you're a teacher or a nurse and there is a job fair for that...the chances would probably be good that you'll find something.

I agree with a lot of the posts that say a specialized job fair will bring good prospects.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
My husband got his current job at a specialized job fair 12 years ago. It was with a great company--obviously as he's still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search