Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:14 PM

943 posts, read 4,261,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis03 View Post
I have undergone backround checks because I was working for the government. However, I do not agree with the credit checks mainly because it doesnt mean anything. I dont have good credit. Mainly because college is so expensive and I made a bad choice on a credit card (which I am STILL fighting 5 years later). People grow up and they change, I bet most of you are not the person that you are when you went to college??? So the backround check I understand not so much the credit check and I used to work in HR....sometimes it came with the software we used and did it automatically..all in all it really depends on the company. BUT when you fill out your application they have to tell you by law if they are doing the checks, what they are doing and what they are using it for. Resumes at NOT legally binding doc's but apps are.

The government hired you even with the bad credit? Why do you think they overlooked it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Hi, too bad, but I have had a lot of time on my hands and have filled out a lot of job applications due to my current employment status. While I have a pending offer for a small part time job (working for an airline, $9 an hour), I'm still searching for something that is easier to live on. Often, I have had to sign papers that say, for example: In connection with my application for employment, I understand that an investigative consumer report may be requested that will include information as to my character, work habits, performance and experience, along woth reasons for termination of past employment.
Anyone out there with HR experience? Just how much do or what can an company , find out about an employee. Isn't there just so much that one can find out? I find it hard to believe for just about all private sector jobs, that employers spend that much money and waste that much time trying to find out if you were fired from, for example, a Burger King in college. The credit check thing in relation to employment (save for maybe banks) is grossly unfair as well.
Thanks
credit check (trw) has been tested in court many times and won, even against the feared civil rights body of law. they in fact do have a right to check your trw. this procedure is here to stay.
solvency is considered a moral issue.
this is why folks with debt esp student loans should avoid it once you get behind you become automatically unemployable.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
credit check (trw) has been tested in court many times and won, even against the feared civil rights body of law. they in fact do have a right to check your trw. this procedure is here to stay.
solvency is considered a moral issue.
this is why folks with debt esp student loans should avoid it once you get behind you become automatically unemployable.
stephen s
san diego ca
When they check your credit what do you think they are looking for? Credit score? I can imagine they don't have the same agenda as an underwriter for a loan.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM

41 posts, read 191,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
The government hired you even with the bad credit? Why do you think they overlooked it?

My guess is that they saw it as educational expenses. I was never told. I think if the debt is related to something "educational" they would see it as an act to better yourself and the credit card was from when I was in High School. A lot of people have credit card debt. Thats my guess....

Old 10-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis03 View Post
My guess is that they saw it as educational expenses. I was never told. I think if the debt is related to something "educational" they would see it as an act to better yourself and the credit card was from when I was in High School. A lot of people have credit card debt. Thats my guess....
Oh ok. Thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,514,561 times
a blemish or 2 on your credit is not going to be a dealbreaker - it's the people with chronic debt problems they are looking for. Credit Checks are here to stay, and they are a good tool for identifying people with repeated problems. Would you hire an accountant or CFO who can't manage their personal finances?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,949 times
When i was 18 i worked at target and let my friends pass with some items.
Got caught!!
I have a mestameanor on my record. No finger prints were taken, does that mean that if i get finger printed it will show

Old 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,709 times
when is the drug screening test issued. is it after the back ground check

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stem5 View Post
when is the drug screening test issued. is it after the back ground check

Well based on when i worked for UPS you fill out the application, come in for an interview, get a drug screen voucher that you have 3 plus days to get done, you bring that back and then called one to two weeks with a job offer. The background check never enters into conversation, unless there is a problem. They do it without discussion. How long it takes, depends on the individual person. If you are 19 then and you were born and have never moved, from the same city, then it background will come back quickly. The drug screen takes less than a day to get back the results.

Whereas some temp agencies offer you the position with the assumpiton that the background check will come up emty. Or let you start and then fire you if your check comes back negative.

Or for example I was a mutual funds broker, they let you start your training and if there are any problems they discuss it with you and let you stay or go, depending on the issue.

or recently i worked for a government contractor...their background checks took almost a month, before they brought you on.

How long it takes and how accurate, depends on the company, who is hiring you, and whether they have hired a legitmate, fast turn around company or if they hired some cracker jacks company!

good lluck!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREAJRE View Post
When i was 18 i worked at target and let my friends pass with some items.
Got caught!!
I have a mestameanor on my record. No finger prints were taken, does that mean that if i get finger printed it will show
If they didn't fingerprint you then they have no way of actually varifing with law enforcement if your the same person. Everything law enforcement does is identified and kept by fingerrpint classification.No prints then no varifable record will be found by fingerpints. All law enforcement records are keep by fingerprints;no matter how many false names or information you give;which is why there records are so good and varifable. Minor courts may keep records by DL etc but they are not really accurate enough for law enforcement purposes.;except on driving record.A check by prints will show no arest or conviction if no prints were taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search