Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 AM

274 posts, read 606,185 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on graduating college next year with a BA in political science (minor in psychology), and am worried about securing a decent entry level job after graduation. I have been starting to search to see what is "out there" for employment after graduation, but most places require about 2 years experience. I know this is a guideline, not necessarily a requirement for some entry level work, but I am worried that someone with more experience than me will be able to secure a position over me because of the added experience.

Through my school, I was able to do a six month internship at a law firm, and have had other jobs aside from that in the past. (substitute teacher, camp counselor, waitress, telemarketer, etc) I'm only planning on staying at a job after college for 1-3 years while I study for the LSAT's and apply to law schools.

What has been everyone's experience regarding work after college?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
This is the time you HAVE TO be willing to do (almost) anything. Get real time work experience and make money while you find a job in your field.

Don't walk out believing you will make $50,000 your first year or 'otherwise you are a failure.'

Then again, keep your eyes open for opportunity, meet and mix with others (network!) and be aware we often wind up in jobs that have nothing to do with our majors.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Does your college have a career placement office? You need to pay them a visit. Do you have any idea what you want to do when you graduate? I would start seeking another internship, or maybe get an on-campus job of some kind related to what you want to do in the future. Are you eligible for financial aid? You could land a work-study gig. They're usually part-time and won't allow you to go over a certain amount of hours so you can focus on your studies. Along the lines of the above post and keeping your eyes open for opportunities, think outside the box! Talk to your professors or look into your department major. I once landed a summer gig helping one of my favorite professors in his office just by mentioning to him in passing that I was going to be on campus that summer taking classes. I gained clerical skills, but also helped him with research, and got to list the job on my resume.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 AM

274 posts, read 606,185 times
Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm not planning on making anywhere near $50,000 after I graduate! I would assume somewhere around the $30,000 mark.

Like I said, I'm planning on going into law school about 1-3 years after I graduate from college. A position at a law firm would be ideal (paralegal, legal assistant, etc), but I doubt they would hire someone fresh out of college. (I will try though). I was also looking into some entry level government positions as well, which appear to waive one year of the "2 years experience" if you have a 4 year college degree. I do have close friends and acquaintances who work in those fields as well.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM

47 posts, read 170,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Then again, keep your eyes open for opportunity, meet and mix with others (network!)
IMO this is crucial. I know when I got out of college (and I cant believe that was 9 yrs ago ) my first job was nothing like what I had planned, and I got it through a friend of mine. After that, I went to work for one of my mentors from college...

Meet as many people as you can, if you are intrigued by what they do, don't be afraid to ask how they got to be where they are and what they suggest you should do if you want to be in the same field.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 45,538 times
I began working as a receptionist at a law office while I finished my BA in Legal Studies. I found the lack of responsibility to be mind numbing, so after graduating I began working as an entry-level Legal Assistant. I had no previous legal administrative experience, but it's just a matter of stressing that you're interested in learning as much as possible. Emphasize that you're a fast learner and hard worker.
Almost every attorney we worked with had an entry-level "wants to be a lawyer" type working at their office (myself included).
I doubt you will have a difficult time finding a decent paying entry-level legal admin job ($30k) if you send your resume and cover letter to every law office in your immediate area. Trust me, even if the position is not advertised, someone will make room for you.
Anyway, I only stayed at that job for six months (I left to study for the LSAT). I learned a vast amount in those 6 months, including that I never want to be a lawyer :X I am now 6 credits away from graduating with my MBA.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This is the time you HAVE TO be willing to do (almost) anything. Get real time work experience and make money while you find a job in your field.

Don't walk out believing you will make $50,000 your first year or 'otherwise you are a failure.'

Then again, keep your eyes open for opportunity, meet and mix with others (network!) and be aware we often wind up in jobs that have nothing to do with our majors.

Good luck.
Very wise words! I actually ended up working in the mortgage business until it crashed in 2007. This happened in spite of the fact that I do not even have a business degree. I got the job because one of my cousins at the time was a branch manager for Countrywide. Honestly, I'd be happy making $36,000 a year which equals $3K a month before tax. That's not a large amount but I figure why would I need any more than that? Any thing more that I earn besides that is icing on the cake. I did my calculations and even talked it over with some people. Trying to live on $3K a month even in LA is possible. the catch is that I'd have to be frugal with my money and I probably won't have the money to take vacations every year but it is doable.

All of us that are looking for work have to keep our eyes open. All we can do is think positive right?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 PM

45 posts, read 244,867 times
Keep looking for internships and try to pick up a job related to legal studies.

Network with everyone. Let them know you are graduating soon and will be looking for work. I have learned about open positions through networking though it led to nowhere(so far...).

Visit your career center multiple times and get your resume critiqued.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
If all else fails... there's always grad school...

Quote:
True, but I also would like to point out that even today some jobs pay 70k upwards right out of school...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
If all else fails... there's always grad school...

True, but I also would like to point out that even today some jobs pay 70k upwards right out of school...
I know a guy that made 78k his first year but that is a wild exception. Another thing to consider is that 70k in NYC or LA is worth much less than it is in a place like Charlotte or Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search