Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 PM

51 posts, read 248,519 times

Advertisements

I agree with Dd714, that is the way that I was taught. Lying is not the key. I provide a range of the amount that I am looking for, based on job description and such. So I would say that I am "open" to somewhere between $xxx and $xxx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 95,760 times
Wow this got a mix of responses! Thanks for all your comments!

A couple days after two interviews for a position the company asked what my current salary is. I was going through a recruiter and initially I tried just giving a range of what I was looking for but they kept coming back and wanted to know the specific number. I was hoping they would be the first to give a number and we could negotiate from there. I just feel like what if they were planning on paying a higher amount until they found out what I make at a small company that just doesn't pay the average ... and so they lower the offer for me ... It sucks but I guess there isn't much I can do. I'll just have to work even harder to get promotions quicker.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,577 times
I was always told that he who brings up a dollar amount first loses. I suppose there are exceptions to this!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,804 times
Although currently employed, I just recently signed on with a new agency to find another job. This agency was quite different in many ways - in addition to much more comprehensive testing, I was interviewed by them for almost three hours. Only after all that and having checked my references did they agree to represent me. Keep in mind that I am an administrative professional, not an executive or managerial employee. One of the things my interviewer told me was that when I was sent on interviews I was NOT to engage in any discussion with subject companies about salary. She said that that was her responsibility, not mine, and I was thrilled to have the onus taken off my shoulders. However, in previous interview situations when asked what I was looking for I would respond that it was difficult to put a number on what I needed before knowing exactly what the responsibilities of the new position would be. But I would then ask if it would help for them to know what I was currently making and would then tell them. By doing this I let them know that if I was really satisfied with my current compensation I would not be looking for a new job. But this gave them a starting point upon which to build. So far this has served me well. Currently I am an Engineering Secretary (having previously had jobs as Senior Executive Assistant but I make more now than when I had the jobs with better titles. I also make just just shy of $50,000 a year which is not too bad for an administrative position. But I really do prefer leaving all discussion of money to the agency representing me. It is far less restrictive when they do it and as my agency rep told me, they are told when shopping the job what the money will be and can use that as a starting point - and can highlight features that will bring the end result up where I want it to be.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
There is plenty of information on the web on how to thrwart the salary question when it comes up in an interview. NONE of them recommend giving that information first. And of course, of the only 2 responses you see on this thread saying it's OK to give your salary, no suprise one that is answering this is a hiring manager. Take that in consideration.

Anyways here is one strategy.
The Salary Question - Pongo Resume

Early in the interview process, interviewers have little knowledge of a candidate’s experience and talents. Candidates want to delay stating a salary number until the company has a strong interest in making an offer. Giving a salary number too early in the process can only hurt an applicant’s chances.

So, here are some techniques for responding to the salary question.

1) First, say you would rather not give them a specific number; Second, communicate that you’re interested in the position, and; Third, tell them that all you'd like them to do is make you the best offer they feel comfortable with. Putting it all together, it can sound like this:

"Regarding salary, I'd rather not give you a specific number right now. I'm very interested in this position, and I expect that you'll make me the best offer you're comfortable with at the right time."

2) Say that you’re happy to discuss salary at a time when there is strong interest in your background. It could sound like this:

"I'd be happy to discuss my salary expectations after we have both decided that there is strong mutual interest in possibly hiring me."

3) Ask them what the salary range is for the position. When they give you the salary range, you can say that your salary expectations are in line with the higher end of the range, assuming this is true.

4) State the following:

"When considering a position, several factors are important to me. Salary is only one factor, but not the most important. More important factors include quality of the position, growth opportunities, quality of the people I work with, company culture, and location."

5) If you’re faced with a question such as, “What's your current salary?”, answer this way:

Say, “I am (was) paid well and in line with job market conditions.”

Communicate that you'd be happy to discuss your specific salary later in the hiring process. State that you can also provide salary verification documentation. Say you're interested in the opportunity and you'd like them to make the best offer they're comfortable with. Putting it all together, it can sound like this:

Interviewer: "What is your current (most recent) salary?"

You: “Regarding my most recent salary, I was compensated very well and in line with job market conditions. I'd welcome the chance to discuss my compensation later in the process when we've decided I'm the right person for this opportunity. I'd also welcome the chance to provide salary verification. When we've decided I’m the right person for the job, I’d like you to make the best offer you're comfortable with.”

Remember, as Penelope states in her post, the first person to give a number is at a disadvantage. You want to discuss salary only when the hiring manager is absolutely convinced the company can't live without you. It is at this point when you have negotiating leverage, but not until then

Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,574,457 times
I say do your homework first. I have no problem putting my current salary on an application as long as the next question is "expected salary". By then I will have already done my homework as to what people in similar roles are making in my area and I usually cushion that by a few grand. Thats the amount I put into expected salary. Unless I am really miserable in a current job (or unemployed which I luckily have never been) the amount I put on that line is only negotiable by a few grand. end of story. Lifes to short to be working and not making what you know your counterparts are making.

Lie - never. They can check and if they do you lose your opportunity for the job and if its a larger company your name will end up on file as someone not to hire. Don't burn bridges.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
Great book: What Does Someone Need To Do To Get A Job Around Here. And the author is a former hiring manager, headhunter and now a career coach. She says that companies are looking to exclude you, not include you. The more information they have about you (at the internal recruiter level for starters), the more reasons they have to exclude you.

Now given that, do you still think you should be giving your exact salary history?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndepse10 View Post
Are you really required to give your current salary to a company you are interviewing for?

It just doesn't seem right .... because they will give you an offer based off what you are currently making. I wish they didn't ask that and I could just tell them what I am looking to make ...

any comments ...?
Just tell them that it is not any of their business! Oh yea, you won't get the job is the only problem. I have been around for a long time and I have never been on a job interview or hired anyone for which the applicant did not have to disclose their previous salary. It is part of the process. It is important for the prospective employer to know this information so that a fair, agreeable salary can be negotiated.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM

83 posts, read 387,562 times
Wow! No one likes the word LIE. How about exaggerate? Employers like to exaggerate so you should too. I would of used that word originally but its a pain to spell

Always avoid telling an employer your salary. If you do and its low they will wonder if you are simply looking for a pay increase. If they don't care about that then you will most certainly get an offer about 10% above what you are making. Employment is pretty cut throat these days. Credit score, background checks and the like. But most of us are not in the executive level 100k plus range that have to interview with every employee across two continents so I never worry about salary history. Credit checks definitely.

If they want my salary I'll give them one If they find out its not exactly correct tell them you included your next raise. Your bonus. Anything. They are obviously still interested or they would no have called you back. But to be honest, other then credit checks not one of my employers has ever verified my salary.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my poor integrity. But I come from Automotive where not only do employers lie and treat you like dirt, they do it with a smile on their face I say give it back to em.

As a former coworker of mine used to say "its a dog-eat-dog world"

I have some great examples but thats getting off topic.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,574,457 times
I actually find it quite amusing that many on here think that they are MORE likely to get a job by either lying - or telling a potential employer that its none of their business. Uh huh, yeah sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search